Chain saws

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We have a Model 3, also a diesel truck, and an FJ for fun. Covering all the bases.
I wish I could convert my fj to electric…. I will get an electric for my next vehicle but with retirement now I just can’t justify it until I need a new vehicle.

I love the idea of electrification on any cool or classic car but think you would have to choose the vehicle wisely to make it worthwhile. The fj would be terrible as there is no good place to store the batteries. Pickup trucks with a false bed in the back make sense. I saw a vw van converted that was amazing too. Now, when batteries become smaller, lighter and more powerful then it will open a lot more possibilities.
Have you set up a solar charging station at your place yet? To me having the electric transportation along with free charging that’s not grid dependent is one of my biggest prepping goals.

Last edited:
I love the idea of electrification on any cool or classic car but think you would have to choose the vehicle wisely to make it worthwhile. The food would be terrible as there is no good place to store the batteries. Pickup trucks with a false bed in the back make sense. I saw a be van converted that was amazing too. Now, when batteries become smaller, lighter and more powerful then it will open a lot more possibilities.
Have you set up a solar charging station at your place yet? To me having the electric transportation along with free charging that’s not grid dependent is one of my biggest prepping goals.
My thinking of why- Tesla Plaid motors front an back, (they are lighter). Batteries go into the current engine compartment to give it balance.
That car had a 50/50 ratio and that’s why it handled so well.
No solar charging set up yet, my wife charges at night. I would need 2 powerwalls at least. That’s plan C.
Need to get well pump set up on battery first. Until then plan A has to do.

My thinking of why- Tesla Plaid motors front an back, (they are lighter). Batteries go into the current engine compartment to give it balance.
That car had a 50/50 ratio and that’s why it handled so well.
No solar charging set up yet, my wife charges at night. I would need 2 powerwalls at least. That’s plan C.
Need to get well pump set up on battery first. Until then plan A has to do.
If only we all had unlimited budgets….

I looked at a 36 Ford pickup that had the original drive train in it. I’d rip out that 6v crap out in a heartbeat and switch it over. Style and functionality would be great

Reviews say it takes up to 20". My fireplace is small. 36" in front an 22" in back
I split a lot of 36"+ dia logs, but I have to set my splitter up vertical. I'm too weak to pick up a 36" log any more. I split them in half then lay the splitter back to horizontal. Then I can pick the up the half logs and split horizontal.

If only we all had unlimited budgets….
. This is one I think could come down to a reasonable budget.
Cost for gas replacement is 10k.
Cost of the kit equals it, I get my fun car back.
And for what my wife is throwing into the FJ in mods.....she is having fun and increasing the Value in this market. She does most of the work herself and is enjoying it. She never tricked a vehicle out and enjoying it.
letting her do this, let’s me do my thing. We both win.

Question...... are the hydrolic manual wood splitters any good? Does it take lots of human strength to operate? I don't have lots of $$$ to spend on a large gas Model and it seems to me that electric defeats the purpose when the power is out and you need extra wood.

I always value your input.
I have a gas model 27 ton wood splitter from Northern and it works great!!

California now makes it impossible to start one of their smog chain saws at 6000 ft. They will end gas powered chain saws by 2023. I have no choice but a Makita lithium battery chain saw (unless someone comes up with a di-lithium battery in the meantime). Also, most of my rounds now are oak and harder to split. This means either smaller diameter wood or a wood splitter.

Choosing your wood is very important as to how easily it will split. Try black or honey locust if your down south. They are not commercial woods so no one cares if you cut them. Black locust can lay on the ground 50 yes. And no rot or bug damage. It burns extremely hot and leaves great coals. ( I was thinking you are in Tennessee). But the dead logs from them on the ground are already cured,small diameter. But the wood is extremely heavy. It is very brittle and splits very easily. Give it a try

Our wood shed. Still need to put the trim on and make the doors. We'll get maybe another cord in it.
20211113_115718.jpg

Latest posts

Back