Chain saws

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the info. Yeah, the weight wears me out on certain tools. Re: the post driver. OUCH
I know how you feel about post drivers. Every spring/summer I drive in about 400-700 steel posts. Plus dig another 100 or so holes, most by hand, and use a rock drill on another 50. This summer I'm planning on replacing all my corner posts with railroad ties. I'm getting sore just thinking about it.

I know how you feel about post drivers. Every spring/summer I drive in about 400-700 steel posts. Plus dig another 100 or so holes, most by hand, and use a rock drill on another 50. This summer I'm planning on replacing all my corner posts with railroad ties. I'm getting sore just thinking about it.

I have learned to put cardboard or cloth in the driver to cut down on the clanging noise if steel on steel. I still wear earplugs. When my arms get so tired that I can barely lift the driver, its time to stop. My work gets sloppy when I'm tired.

Got my new saw today. It's so cute. Of course it's raining again and I can't try it.

I read it's going to rain almost every day this month.
I’m great full I got the greenhouse tilled and planted. Have shoots coming up from the radishes now. It will be a while before the garden can be tilled. Just makes a mess to try it in the mud.

I started clearing another area of fallen trees . A large tree on top and 3 smaller ones. The small ones are doubled over.

When I cut one, it snapped off of the stump and jumped back about 3 feet. Scared me to death. My neighbor has a wench on his truck so we are going to pull the small one out and let the larger one settle some before I do more cutting.

I knew it would rebound, but not the way it did. Just glad I was standing on the side and not behind tree.

Btw, my back is killing me. AS USUAL.

I started saw and made 3 cuts then it threw the chain. I let it cool and then I tried to spin the chain and it would not go around. I took the chain and bar off and fiddled with them and after about 3 times, it started moving. Now it is working fine. What happened?

Last edited by a moderator:
I started saw and made 3 cuts then it threw the chain. I let it cool and then I tried to turn spin the chain and it would go around. I took the chain and bar off anduring fiddled with them and after about 3 times, it started moving. Now it is working fine. What happened?
Likely loose, or debris got caught under the chain? I’m just glad for you that it’s working now.

I started saw and made 3 cuts then it threw the chain. I let it cool and then I tried to turn spin the chain and it would go around. I took the chain and bar off anduring fiddled with them and after about 3 times, it started moving. Now it is working fine. What happened?
The chain was probably out of alignment, most likely caused by debris.

I started saw and made 3 cuts then it threw the chain. I let it cool and then I tried to spin the chain and it would not go around. I took the chain and bar off and fiddled with them and after about 3 times, it started moving. Now it is working fine. What happened?
Try making straight cuts. If your holding the bar at an angle it'll derail the chain.
Just loosen the bar adjuster nut, put the chain back in the bar groove and retighten the nut. You should be able to make hundreds of cuts before the chain comes off the bar. Just check it a couple times a day and retighten if necessary.

There was debris in the bar chain channel groove. Obvious, I don't know the proper term.
Try making straight cuts. If your holding the bar at an angle it'll derail the chain.
Just loosen the bar adjuster nut, put the chain back in the bar groove and retighten the nut. You should be able to make hundreds of cuts before the chain comes off the bar. Just check it a couple times a day and retighten if necessary.
[/QUOTE

There was debris in the bar chain channel groove. Obvious, I don't know the proper term.
If your using the correct bar oil, (assuming that you're using bar oil) debris will stick in the chain grove. Just clean it occasionally. After a few thousand cuts you can turn the bar over and cut a few thousand more times before you need to buy a new bar.

If your using the correct bar oil, (assuming that you're using bar oil) debris will stick in the chain grove. Just clean it occasionally. After a few thousand cuts you can turn the bar over and cut a few thousand more times before you need to buy a new bar.
Yes, mine uses bar oil. It had a lot of saw dust in it. Live and learn.

I took the chain and bar off and fiddled with them and after about 3 times, it started moving. Now it is working fine. What happened?
If the guide wheel at the end of the bar has anything in it, the whole thing will not spin. And if the oiling process was not good the same thing. I bumped the bar on something and did not see that the tip of the bar was bent, another time the guide wheel got so hot inside of a tree stump that it literally melted its bearings and the whole thing locked up forever. Get a few spares of each part, chain, bar, clutch and sparkplug if not electric...

Question...... are the hydrolic manual wood splitters any good? Does it take lots of human strength to operate? I don't have lots of $$$ to spend on a large gas Model and it seems to me that electric defeats the purpose when the power is out and you need extra wood.

I always value your input.

Question...... are the hydrolic manual wood splitters any good? Does it take lots of human strength to operate? I don't have lots of $$$ to spend on a large gas Model and it seems to me that electric defeats the purpose when the power is out and you need extra wood.

I have an electric splitter. My backup is axes, wedges and screw cones.

I have tried ax. Not a pretty sight. Wedges take me hours to do one. I'm surprised you have electric. Guess you could hook to generator.

So you don't know anything about the hydrolic manual type?

I've got a Countryline 30 ton gas splitter, with the fast cycle time. I love it. I think I bought it at Tractor Supply. The wood stove in the fur shed takes smaller logs than the house so I end up splitting a lot of logs by hand too. At least until I'm done splitting wood for the house. Then I'll move the splitter up to the fur shed and finish splitting that pile.

Latest posts

Back