Chain saws

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When buying batteries for your cordless tools always buy the largest amp hour battery that you can afford. Generally the batteries that come with the tool are low amp hour battries and don't last long between charges. I think I'm using 6 amp hour batteries now and can drive hundreds of 3-1/2" deck screws between charges. They're well worth the extra money.

Ive decides that my pole saw isn't large enough to do a lot of sawing that I need.

The diameter of the trees are about 10-12 inches. What size saw do I need? I really want to get another battery operated saw.

I've never used a regular chair saw so need to use the lightest, smallest type.

Ive decides that my pole saw isn't large enough to do a lot of sawing that I need.

The diameter of the trees are about 10-12 inches. What size saw do I need? I really want to get another battery operated saw.

Echo is a brand carried by Home Depot. It’s small, light and pretty tough. Not too expensive either.

For the size of trees that you'll be cutting I'd go with an 18" bar. And I'd recommend a Sthil or Huskvarna. Any of the cheap big box brands won't hold up very well, plus they have tiny fuel tanks. There's a reason why they're cheap.

For the size of trees that you'll be cutting I'd go with an 18" bar. And I'd recommend a Sthil or Huskvarna. Any of the cheap big box brands won't hold up very well, plus they have tiny fuel tanks. There's a reason why they're cheap.
Agreed that sthil is the best saw out there but it is more than double and almost triple the price. As far as husquavarna goes, I’ve had at least five and they all gave me carb issues, hard starting and such. Echo was a middle ground on price and quality.

Ouch Arctic. I didn't think I could handle one that large. I only weigh 120. I'll do more research. Thanks for input. I like all the info I can get.

Mine has an angled blade too, which I like, but I haven't had any trouble cutting downed limbs. Yours must be more angled than mine.
It probably has a lot to do with the fact that it's new to me. I'll adjust. I also have one with a straight blade in case I need it. Also, my chain saw should be arriving soon.

I am glad you brought this topic back up. I have started my chain saws for about a year. Something to add to my weekend projects. Get them started up, just in case and make sure I have enough 2-cycle oil around. Thanks for bringing this topic back up.
I’ve learned the hard way. ONLY use ethanol free fuel with stabil in it. Your carb will last a lot longer. When possible try to burn the fuel out of the engine before storing it. My larger stuff like the tiller has a fuel shut off valve so you can just let it run out in a minute or so. I have to dump the chainsaw fuel and then run it out.

My brother thinks a 14" chain saw is my limit.
Back when I was horse logging I had a 40" felling saw and a 20" limbing saw. Both were Dolmar saws. Sometimes my wife would work with me in the woods limbing the trees after I fell them. That little 20" saw was more than she could handle so she spent most of her time sitting on a stump holding the horses.
Don't get more saw than you can handle.

Back when I was horse logging I had a 40" felling saw and a 20" limbing saw. Both were Dolmar saws. Sometimes my wife would work with me in the woods limbing the trees after I fell them. That little 20" saw was more than she could handle so she spent most of her time sitting on a stump holding the horses.
Don't get more saw than you can handle.

Thanks for the info. Yeah, the weight wears me out on certain tools. Re: the post driver. OUCH

I have 2 stihl chainsaws, an 18" and a 20" . I have an old craftsman 10" pole chainsaw. Xtra chains and enough fuel and oil for years. It's all I need.

Latest posts

Back