Chain saws

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have tried ax. Not a pretty sight. Wedges take me hours to do one. I'm surprised you have electric. Guess you could hook to generator.

So you don't know anything about the hydrolic manual type?

some people's woodpile ops is in back of the garage - electric is readily available - electric chainsaw & splitter and floodlites for nite work - no engines to mess with and cheaper $$$

only trouble with the commercial made electric splitters is the size/hp - not going to find anything into bigger tonnage ram capacity ....

I am overall very impressed with the progress that has been made in rechargable batteries.

I have a 30 ton gas too, and can't imagine using anything else. I just do about 12-15 cords at a time and with high efficienc wood stoves (with catalytic converters) that lasts me years. If you have enough wood to split, you can rent one. Spend a couple of days splitting and stacking. Oh, make sure you are at least doing Norwegian piles..

1636651507500.png

1636651562800.png
1636651617900.png

I don't need anything large because we don't have that many really cold days here. That's why I was looking at the 10 ton manual. It said 8 in diameter and most of mine are 10 to 12 inches. If it's manual, I really don't see why you can't do larger. They are sold out of the manual many places. The review sites had Sun Joe highly rated. They also have a 5 ton electric that takes up to 12 in. I keep thinking power outages and how a manual would be so much better

If a splitter says 8" diameter, is that written in stone or is it a safety thing. My logs are 10 to 12 inches and the manual splitter says 8" diameter. That's seems small to me.

Question...... are the hydrolic manual wood splitters any good? Does it take lots of human strength to operate? I don't have lots of $$$ to spend on a large gas Model and it seems to me that electric defeats the purpose when the power is out and you need extra wood.

I always value your input.
I’ve got a manual model. I believe I got it at harbor freight. I thought just like you that gas or electric could become hard to access so got this a few years back. It splits really well. Won’t do really big logs or tough ones but for 90% of clean straight grain logs it go through them with no issues. The sledge and wedges make the big stuff where I can split them on it. Most of the twisted stuff just gets burned in a pit

I’ve got a manual model. I believe I got it at harbor freight. I thought just like you that gas or electric could become hard to access so got this a few years back. It splits really well. Won’t do really big logs or tough ones but for 90% of clean straight grain logs it go through them with no issues. The sledge and wedges make the big stuff where I can split them on it. Most of the twisted stuff just gets burned in a pit
Brent, would you say it does 10 to 12" diameter. Which brand did you get? How hard would it be for a woman of 130 lbs to operate?

Oh, make sure you are at least doing Norwegian piles..

View attachment 14111
I would love for a Norwegian to explain to me how that is supposed to cure. Air cannot flow through that. If I pile up wood, it does not dry, not at all. I also cannot imagine needing a ladder to get a wheelbarrow of wood brought in the cabin. They must get very bored over there in Norway!

Brent, would you say it does 10 to 12" diameter. Which brand did you get? How hard would it be for a woman of 130 lbs to operate?
Mine is a cheap one I got for something close to 125$ I believe. 10 tons and it has no problems with 12” logs. If you’re strong enough to load the logs then you can easily operate the pump handles. The hydraulic cylinder does all the real work. It’s not super fast but does pretty well.

Attachments

• 3D770668-54D8-4518-BA10-B95A73930CFB.jpeg
    3D770668-54D8-4518-BA10-B95A73930CFB.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 3
Just to comment on chainsaws, I am 5 years in on a battery powered chainsaw- I may never go back to gas.
We bought into the same system that powers weed eater, leaf blower, hedge trimmer.
I go out to cut wood I bring 4 batteries with me, usually use 2 and I have a load.
I don’t smell like gas, don’t have to wear ear protection, don’t have to mix gas and oil, and don’t worry about ethanol ruining the carbs.
Batteries by themselves are expensive, but I just buy another tool on the system because one of them is usually wore out. It works out cheaper.
And recharging them is free with solar.

I would love for a Norwegian to explain to me how that is supposed to cure. Air cannot flow through that. If I pile up wood, it does not dry, not at all. I also cannot imagine needing a ladder to get a wheelbarrow of wood brought in the cabin. They must get very bored over there in Norway!

Interesting. I uncover mine in the summer and tarp it in the Winter and it is in excellent shape. It seems to breathe just fine. I'm with you on that height! Why would you want to build it that high?

Author Explains How Norwegians Can Measure A Man By His Woodpile
Best-Selling Norwegian Author Describes The Art Of Stacking Wood
Author Explains How Norwegians Can Measure A Man By His Woodpile | Wisconsin Public Radio (wpr.org)

Norwegians take firewood seriously. So seriously that a prospective suitor might do well to get his woodpile in order before popping the question.

"You can tell a lot about a person from his -- or her -- woodpile," said writer and journalist Lars Mytting.

He would know. Mytting, who lives in southern Norway’s heavily wooded snow forest, is the author of last year’s runaway, European best-seller, "Norwegian Wood: Chopping, Stacking and Drying Wood the Scandinavian Way." It’s a lyrical compendium of practical advice on a subject that has obsessed Scandinavians for centuries.

"It’s recorded back to the Viking era," Mytting said. "So, we have quite a developed knowledge on how to get properly seasoned firewood."

That includes not just felling, hauling and chopping their own wood but also -- crucially -- stacking it for proper seasoning.

In a country in which 25 percent of homes are heated with wood -- half of it chopped by homeowners -- a good woodpile is both a necessity of life and a measure of character. And yes, Mytting said previous generations of women really did know how to read a man’s stack.

If a splitter says 8" diameter, is that written in stone or is it a safety thing. My logs are 10 to 12 inches and the manual splitter says 8" diameter. That's seems small to me.
You get what you pay for Robin. 8" diameter isn't hardly worth splitting. That size should fit in your stove unsplit.

Just to comment on chainsaws, I am 5 years in on a battery powered chainsaw- I may never go back to gas.
We bought into the same system that powers weed eater, leaf blower, hedge trimmer.
I go out to cut wood I bring 4 batteries with me, usually use 2 and I have a load.
I don’t smell like gas, don’t have to wear ear protection, don’t have to mix gas and oil, and don’t worry about ethanol ruining the carbs.
Batteries by themselves are expensive, but I just buy another tool on the system because one of them is usually wore out. It works out cheaper.
And recharging them is free with solar.
I have 2 pole, a 14" saw, reciprocating saw, circular saw and weed eaters that are battery operated. I like the weight of the pole saws, but then14" chain saw doesn't have the power of my gas operated one. I use them all though.

I have 2 pole, a 14" saw, reciprocating saw, circular saw and weed eaters that are battery operated. I like the weight of the pole saws, but then14" chain saw doesn't have the power of my gas operated one. I use them all though.

Using the same battery system for all, makes it more versatile And gives you more batteries.
I have always liked my hand power tools. It was my deciding factor when I was replacing my gas power yard tools as they wore out.
I used to have Mikita and switched most to Milwaukee in the power tools. When I did the yard tools, I went with Kobalt 80v. Even have a lawn mower.

Makita has come out with yard tools. My first drill from them lasted 15 years and 4 batteries.
if I hadn’t jumped on the Kobalt system, I would now consider theirs.

Using the same battery system for all, makes it more versatile And gives you more batteries.
I have always liked my hand power tools. It was my deciding factor when I was replacing my gas power yard tools as they wore out.
I used to have Mikita and switched most to Milwaukee in the power tools. When I did the yard tools, I went with Kobalt 80v. Even have a lawn mower.

Makita has come out with yard tools. My first drill from them lasted 15 years and 4 batteries.
if I hadn’t jumped on the Kobalt system, I would now consider theirs.
So when are you going to upgrade to a Tesla! Lol

Latest posts

Back