CB Radio

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A gimmick? it isn't by any manufacturer.

The WIN System is a series of 71 linked, or Inter-tied repeaters, most are 440, or UHF repeaters, but we have some 2-meter and 220 repeaters as well, that cover a great deal of California, 16 States, and four Countries around the world. The WIN System is owned and operated by Shorty, K6***.

The WIN System is an OPEN Repeater system. It is not a Closed or a Private system.
We like to call it a ‘member supported’ system. We encourage all hams to stop in and get acquainted. However it is the membership that keeps the WIN System ‘on the air.’ Membership is open to any licensed amateur radio operator who wants to get involved with a growing, vibrant group, on the leading edge of technology.

http://www.winsystem.org/

WIRES is about useless in my opinion! I have never owned an Icom so I am not totally familiar with D Star.

OOP's my bad...

Another repeater system - YUCK!

Its like having a television with just one channel.

It ties up all the repeaters - mostly with garbage, new hams that would like to play HF radio - but won't invest in the equipment and old hams that wants to make people think that they have operated all the 30 40 50 years that they have had a license - but only has a hand held radio, at least that is the way it is here in Western Pennsylvania with the WAN...

OOP's my bad...

Another repeater system - YUCK!

Its like having a television with just one channel.

It ties up all the repeaters - mostly with garbage, new hams that would like to play HF radio - but won't invest in the equipment and old hams that wants to make people think that they have operated all the 30 40 50 years that they have had a license - but only has a hand held radio, at least that is the way it is here in Western Pennsylvania with the WAN...
There are several of these inter-tied repeater systems. I have found that are a bit annoying. Like you said "it's like having a television with just one channel." most of the old timers just sit on there talking about the old days of tube radios.
I prefer simplex when on 2m/440.
I am looking at getting an HF rig in the not too distant future.

The entrance into HF isn't that expensive - if you're alright buying a slightly older rig.

I am a licensed ham operator but licenses don't really matter if there is a SHTF event. I had been considering the purchase of one of the new inexpensive Chinese 2-meter radios partly for ham use but also for potential SHTF use. I had never really considered using CB radios but your post has sparked my interest. There are some advantages to using CB radios over 2 meter ham frequencies, the greatest of which is communications distance. VHF radios, like 2-meter radios are very limited in distance and require repeaters to go much beyond line of sight, most of which will not exist or function after an SHTF event. CB radios, on the other hand, have a much further effective communications distance , even across the country when skip is present. Consequently, they would be preferable in a SHTF event, in my opinion. Thanks for the thought I think I'm going to pick up a couple of CB radios.

I am a licensed ham operator but licenses don't really matter if there is a SHTF event. I had been considering the purchase of one of the new inexpensive Chinese 2-meter radios partly for ham use but also for potential SHTF use. I had never really considered using CB radios but your post has sparked my interest. There are some advantages to using CB radios over 2 meter ham frequencies, the greatest of which is communications distance. VHF radios, like 2-meter radios are very limited in distance and require repeaters to go much beyond line of sight, most of which will not exist or function after an SHTF event. CB radios, on the other hand, have a much further effective communications distance , even across the country when skip is present. Consequently, they would be preferable in a SHTF event, in my opinion. Thanks for the thought I think I'm going to pick up a couple of CB radios.

Hi Bob! Spot-on with the reasoning that the licensing isn't an issue during SHTF event.

While I agree with you that I think it is wise to have a CB for SHTF-level problems - I don't think it's wise to rely on a CB.

For two reasons:

1) It's channelized - meaning, during an emergency, how many hundreds of people in your specific area are going to be looking for a means of communication? If you rely on a CB, you are going to be locked out after 40 channels. Same thing for the FRS-type radios. Look at the reports after Katrina, people were isolated for weeks, even though they had radios, they couldn't use them. Ham's on the other hand, were the ones directing the coast guard onto roofs, etc., and volunteer ham radio folks set up the centers where people could (eventually) make their way to in order to get messages out to family.

2) You can't rely on CB skip, and like 2 meter tropospheric ducting, sometimes (when the conditions are just right) it happens...but sometimes (mostly) it doesn't.

For this reason I have a a cheap CB/10 meter set-up, a couple of (cheap) Baofeng's, and an older (mid-eighties era) HF rig (keeps cost down).

Regarding 2m - if you live in an area where the ground is flat - and you can get the antenna above the surrounding obstructions (trees and buildings), you can get about 30 miles. If you live in a mountainous region, you may get less/more depending on the placement/location of your antenna.

The thing I always tell people who are looking at how to include communications into their prepping - but are concerned with getting a license - don't wait until the SHTF to see if you know what you're doing. You're going to need to determine the type of communication you're going to be needing (local or long distance - local AND long distance), then you're going to need to hook up a radio to a power source, and finally - but probably MOST importantly - you're going to need some type of antenna (even the little handhelds may require a different antenna than the one that comes from the factory.

I encourage people to at least get the study guides for the Technician and General class - because the guides will at least expose you to what yo will need to communicate the way up you want - and it will at least help you how to do these things s-a-f-e-l-y (i.e., High Frequency/long distance = a High Voltage!)

While I'm sure you're adding to your preperation - others reading this thread may think all they need is a CB, dash out, buy one, then store it in their garages/basements until needed. If you do that, you'd better know how to use what you have, and how to do it safely...or you may have an unpleasant reality when the SHTF!

White Tiger, all valid points but the situation varies based upon where you live. I quit using 2-meters when I moved to the Western North Carolina mountains because there was virtually no one to talk to - even with the existence of one repeater. consequently, I am not particularly concerned about crowded channels with CB - there just aren't that many people here. Any use of radio would be between myself, my family and trusted friends. Assuming SHTF eliminates repeaters the, reach of CB's 27MHz is more useful for me. If SHTF I don't want to be anywhere near population centers. On the other hand, 200MHz would prove better for local communication when detection avoidance was desirable. So, as you said they are both useful for different reasons.

I've also been experimenting with NVIS (Near Vertical Incidence Skywave) antenna configuration on 80m HF to communicate locally.

And to my very great surprise - it works!

Just ran across this after paying on EBAY for a pair of realistic hand helds described like new . Got them cheap $25 for both after looking information up on them they should be good average radios . Plan on adding 2 more . Any one know anything about GE hand held CB'S they look well made .

I've also been experimenting with NVIS (Near Vertical Incidence Skywave) antenna configuration on 80m HF to communicate locally...

Good idea. I just looked up NVIS - a great SHTF solution - near or distant communication w/o location detection since the signal will appear to be coming from space. Not very portable but good for coms between base locations. Also good for mountainous areas like where I live.

Good idea. I just looked up NVIS - a great SHTF solution - near or distant communication w/o location detection since the signal will appear to be coming from space. Not very portable but good for coms between base locations. Also good for mountainous areas like where I live.

Yes, I began experimenting with it after a friend of mine told me about it. It's a bit tricky, but you can use a very cheap/easy to make wire antenna work if you get it right.

Concerning mobility - it was used by Guderian to communicate with his Panzer group - on the move, and in the very environment you describe. Check out this link: http://www.tactical-link.com/WWII_NVIS.htm

I don't use it that way - mine is designed for a fixed location - portable, but not mobile. However, it's certainly applicable for SHTF for all the reasons you listed. While we never planned to use 8 wheeled APC's retrofitted as communications vehicles - a similar type "cage" certainly could be fitted to a couple of pick-up trucks - and might just be mistaken for a frame for temporary shelter - or camo netting.

It's definitely something you need to experiment with before deciding to depend on it - as my first few attempts resulted in me only being able to hear an entire local club who have a regular sked set-up on 80m - but they could not hear me. Turned out that I had the legs of the dipole close enough to the ground, I just had both ends of the dipole too close together (best if they're configured as close to 180º from the center feedline as possible, due to space limitations I was trying to make a 90° set-up work, causing interference that limited me to monitoring the clubs discussion). I was able to make contact with a gentleman in the group who was on the outer edge of our 300 mile radius (the communication radius for this type of antenna technique is 0 to 300 miles) he could hear us both and assisted in conducting a relay to complete/confirm the contact.

It's not hard, it just takes some practice.

Incidentally - it is dependent upon others in your group/area having a similar NVIS antenna set-up. I learned it in order to replicate the set-up for each member of my group.

The thing that initially attracted me about NVIS is that it's a "technique" - not a specialized piece of equipment. For instance, you can use a standard dipole - if you want to get information/communicate beyond 300 miles - you simply re-configure the dipole to an inverted "v", get your center line 25' to 30' up into the air (i.e., throw a line over a tree branch and hoist the center feed line up as high as you can get it) and you're back to standard HF configuration. It is the ultimate communication solution.

I have to tell you - until you mentioned it - I never stopped to consider that it could be used to confuse folks trying to triangulate to locate your signal. You're right - it would appear to be beaming down from space! TPTB might be able to figure out the radius, but it seems to me that it would take a LOT more equipment and people to figure out exactly where it was coming from.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Can somebody clear up some terminology here for me?

In Oz "CB" refers to the old 27MHz AM sets and "UHF" refers to the new ~476MHz FM sets. Is this the same terminology used by you US guys?

I don't know anybody that uses 27Mhz these days in Oz so it actually could be a good SHTF radio for OPSEC reasons because the chances of somebody else using it are pretty slim AFAIK.

Can somebody clear up some terminology here for me?

In Oz "CB" refers to the old 27MHz AM sets and "UHF" refers to the new ~476MHz FM sets. Is this the same terminology used by you US guys?

I don't know anybody that uses 27Mhz these days in Oz so it actually could be a good SHTF radio for OPSEC reasons because the chances of somebody else using it are pretty slim AFAIK.

Although I haven't used Citizens Band/CB since I used to hang out in my uncles base station - which was a couple of years before girls started distracting me...but I think that you are correct.

CB is still used in the US, and in some areas, it's still popular - but the band plan has been squeezed down very narrowly. Not sure, but I think 6m and 10m used to be part of the CB frequencies?

The entrance into HF isn't that expensive - if you're alright buying a slightly older rig.
Also watching for sales and rebates at stores like Ham Radio Outlet can save you several 100 dollars.
Icom, in my experience, does not do rebates when they have an item go on sale, the just do a price drop.
This makes buying a radio much more affordable.

I know Comms are essential but I stay away from Ham setups because of the licencing system, its bad OPSEC and PERSEC, once you have a ham licence and a callsign your details name addresses etc are available easily from multiple registers and sources, IE it ADVERTISES there is comms gear at this address, So I stick to CB and modified unlicenced ham gear using non licence frequencies like FRS and PMR but at higher power.

Last edited:
I have a question , as being brand new to using a CB . My base station CB is picking up transmissions 1000's of miles away . How is it doing this as I thought this system had a limited range ? Granted it is staticky but it is picking up from central U.S. to the West Coast . This system , I am setting up for local communications from house to house , so after the Nuking starts we can communicate within our group . -- I am also in the progress of setting up a base ham radio with another purpose in mind .

Last edited:
I have a question , as being brand new to using a CB . My base station CB is picking up transmissions 1000's of miles away . How is it doing this as I thought this system had a limited range ? Granted it is staticky but it is picking up from central U.S. to the West Coast . This system , I am setting up for local communications from house to house , so after the Nuking starts we can communicate within our group . -- I am also in the progress of setting up a base ham radio with another purpose in mind .

CB bands are subject to skipping, during certain weather and atmospheric conditions.

Latest posts

Back