Cauterising wounds

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do know that it's a misconception that rabies travels through the bloodstream.

In theory, someone could get a blood transfusion from someone with active rabies, and not get infected (still a horrible idea just on principle), as rabies progresses up the nerves to the central nervous system.

There are instances of people getting rabies from airbourne droplet infection by working in closed spaces with rabid animals, but such cases are exceedingly rare. This has happened with biologists working in bat-infested caves, and there are instances where infants have died from rabies because there were bats living in the ventilation system of a house . . . and the heating ducts opened into the nursery.

So I think cauterization is the way to go after SHTF, but I haven't the slightest idea how deep or how extensive the burning should be. Bites on the face are considered the most dangerous, as the brain is in close proximity . . . so how does one go about aggressively burning someone's face enough to prevent rabies, yet not disfigure the patient any more than necessary? What criteria or guidelines should be used?

These are the questions that I want answers for.

I would use CDS, it kills the rabies virus.

Unless you have Betadine to "paint" where the steri-strips will attach (it's quite sticky and helps them adhere. We would also use it to attach EKG leads to patients who were profusely sweating.) They don't stay on for more than 24 hours or so. Best with super glue (which is used in many surgical suites these days). Although the medical grade is sterile.
We used to use tincture of benzoin to get EKG electrodes to adhere to the sweaty skin (diaphoresis) that happens from Florida heat . . . as well as from shock, meds, etc..

One question about cauterizing wounds has come up . . . and I haven't been able to get an answer.

After SHTF, what about rabid animals that bite?

If medical services are unavailable, is promptly cautetizing a wound from an animal known to be rabid appropriate?

If someone develops symptoms of rabies after SHTF, the only course of action I can think of is euthanasia . . . which is always controversial and ethically suspect.

Does promptly cauterizing a bite prvent rabies?
No.
You would need immunoglobulin

We used to use tincture of benzoin to get EKG electrodes to adhere to the sweaty skin (diaphoresis) that happens from Florida heat . . . as well as from shock, meds, etc..
That's why we did it. MI patients sweat like pigs, as it were. (Betadine is Tincture of Benzoin). But it works great for securing Steri-Strips and Butterfly Sutures. I always have a small bottle in my jump bag.

Unless you have Betadine to "paint" where the steri-strips will attach (it's quite sticky and helps them adhere. We would also use it to attach EKG leads to patients who were profusely sweating.) They don't stay on for more than 24 hours or so. Best with super glue (which is used in many surgical suites these days). Although the medical grade is sterile.

I can smell the stuff now.
🤢🤮
Stings the nostrils... but it works
1631769157449.png

As for rabies , don't feed or play with the raccoons ..................... for minor lacerations clean with peroxide , rinse and glue or steri- strips .......... unless you are Rambo.rambo.jpg

"Stop the bleed " kits for sale on Amazon , you really just need the cat tourniquet . Full online course on YouTube . Best to practice applying the tourniquet , cause in a real situation , you only have minutes.
Tourniquets are great to keep you from bleeding out in the moment, but unless you have a surgeon on your prep team you are only prolonging your death. You might at least be able to hack off the limb but unless you know what you're doing that still less than 50/50 chance of survival.

Yep. It’s hell. Never seen anything like this in my career.
Thanks
I agree.

I've been in healthcare for over 30 years, and I've seen epidemics.

I worked in South Florida when MDR tuberculosis was all over the place, and homeless substance abusers were being infected left and right . . . and it was still nothing like this.

The thing that gets me is the social resistence to the vaccine.

I understand that people don't want to be coerced into taking an unwanted substance into the body, but the unvaccinated that are swamping the hospitals are keeping other people from getting treatment for other problems like cancer and heart disease.

I don't think that people should be tasered and restrained with a 4 point hold while someone injects them, but these unvaccinated patients are indirectly killing other people by consuming medical resources.

Do you have any ideas how to fix this? I don't.

I stay away from crowded places, even before Covid, not complete isolation but I limit my contact with the masses, I dont have anything in common with the unprepared so its no loss.
I will never get the covid jab, I'm not totally anti "vaccine" just this one, I may get the flu jab when its available, I had it last year.

I stay away from crowded places, even before Covid, not complete isolation but I limit my contact with the masses, I dont have anything in common with the unprepared so its no loss.
I will never get the covid jab, I'm not totally anti "vaccine" just this one, I may get the flu jab when its available, I had it last year.

Who do you think makes the flu shots? The same companies that make the covid shots that you don't trust. I would not take any flu shots either.

Latest posts

Back