Cast Iron Pans

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Loomis

Reaction score
Recently my wife got rid of all of our Teflon coated pans. We then scoured Thrift Stores and picked up a whole bunch of Dutch Ovens with handles and covers and all size skillets. Some were in bad shape but I was able to clean them up and reseason all of them. Some we purchased. The cost was not that much even with shipping.
Although impractical for carrying in a bug out bag they would work great for cooking over open flame. Since then that is all my wife uses to cook everything. Once they are seasoned enough you don't need a no stick surface. Yes, they are heavy but then again I'm Pots & Pans man (just like when I was in the Army).
My wife is a GREAT cook. There is nothing she can't cook.
It's worth a try.

Love the cast iron, the dutch oven is what i am looking for, my brother cooks with one all the time using maybe 8 charcoal briquettes.

Love the cast iron, the dutch oven is what i am looking for, my brother cooks with one all the time using maybe 8 charcoal briquettes.

The Dutch Ovens were hard to find. We did end up buying a few new.
They are very fuel efficient. Never have to use a high flame with them.

The Dutch Ovens were hard to find. We did end up buying a few new.
They are very fuel efficient. Never have to use a high flame with them.
If you don't mind me asking, what did you pay a dutch ? I think i will make a swapmeet run, maybe i will have some luck there.

If you don't mind me asking, what did you pay a dutch ? I think i will make a swapmeet run, maybe i will have some luck there.

I don't mind at all. For a 5 qt Lodge w/cover $34.19. Watch for sales. They can run anywere between that price and $ 79.95. depending on size.
If you see any Griswold out there grab it. They get top dollar on eBay for them.
Good hunting.

I don't mind at all. For a 5 qt Lodge w/cover $34.19. Watch for sales. They can run anywere between that price and $ 79.95. depending on size.
If you see any Grizwalds out there grab it. They get top dollar on eBay for them.
Good hunting.
Sounds good, thanks for the info !

Walmart has 6 quart, concave lid (suggested so you can use top heat as well as bottom) cast iron, for $40.00

If they dont have it in store, buy online. Free ship to your local store.

I was in Harbor Freight today. They have a 12" Dutch Oven (6 Qt) carry handle and legs for $29.99. Also 3 piece cast iron frying pans for $14.99. A 6",7 1/2", 10".

I was in Harbor Freight today. They have a 12" Dutch Oven (6 Qt) carry handle and legs for $29.99. Also 3 piece cast iron frying pans for $14.99. A 6",7 1/2", 10".
As I started to read down this thread I was thinking, "I wonder if these guys know Harbor Freight has dutch ovens...?" I have not purchased one from there, but I've heard they aren't too bad.

As I started to read down this thread I was thinking, "I wonder if these guys know Harbor Freight has dutch ovens...?" I have not purchased one from there, but I've heard they aren't too bad.
You never know what we don't. Just post it.

I'll have to check out Harbor Freight. I totally forgot about them... but then again I don't ever remember seeing them there in the past. Thanks for giving us the heads-up.

I know Academy (Sports and Outdoors) sells the Outdoor Gourmet Cast-Iron Cookware Set in a Box for $69.99. The set includes a griddle, skillet, lid lifter, grill pan, Dutch oven with lid, corn cooker and Dutch oven rack. The set includes 2 carrying bags for easy transportation. Free shipping for orders over $49

Latest posts

Back