Cast iron cookware and SHTF....

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think I need to find a self-help group for cast iron addiction - told myself that I wasn't going to buy anymore >>> first real garage sale and there's two large Lodge pans sitting - $2/piece - of course I had to buy them >> going to be a tough season ...

I think I need to find a self-help group for cast iron addiction - told myself that I wasn't going to buy anymore >>> first real garage sale and there's two large Lodge pans sitting - $2/piece - of course I had to buy them >> going to be a tough season ...

at 2 dollar a piece you could always flip them in the city and make a tidy profit.

Just bought myself a Lodge ceramic cast iron dutch oven.

Also have a small Lodge skillet and a flat.

My large cast iron skillet used to be my grandmother's. A hundred years old?

Once used it on campfire coals to cook salmon ten years ago. The skillet is still my go to even today.

Once used it on campfire coals to cook salmon ten years ago. The skillet is still my go to even today.
I have a cast-iron skillet that has been with me for 25 years already (where the hell does the time go?), and it's gotten a better surface with constant use.

I season with grapeseed oil, just by cooking bacon to leave a layer of pork fat to season it . . . and--believe it or not--simple Wesson vegetable oil works just fine.
My prize cooking possession must be my cast iron 14 inch wok. It is one solid piece of cast iron, with a flat shoe and a completely round (hemispherical) interior . . . with a large handle on one side with a smaller stabilizer handle opposite.

I like to cook a lot of Chinese and Thai food, with an ongoing attempt to perfect my Phillipino pancit dish . . . but I'm nowhere near where I want to be on this particular dish.

I was looking for years . . . until an Internet-savvy young lady--a friend--helped me track down the perfect wok in about 5 minutes. I was at my wit's end and was ready to have one custom-made, when this young lady found my perfect wok (literally, no concessions on my part) for about $32.00 plus shipping (I don't remember what the shipping was), and I could do nothing but experiment with cooking Chinese food in a cast-iron wok, and you really could taste a difference. This is it below. This photo is from Sonoma Williams, which lists this thing for $99.00, which may put you off . . . but if you hunt around, you can this find for $30.00 to $40.00. All of the covers, specialty wok tools (like the minature rack that fits on the side of the wok, for when you're cooking dim-sum dumplings, for example) are compatable, and can be found in any Asian store . . . or simply ordered from Amazon individually or as a set.

This thing is so heavy, though, that you won't be using it to flip up and down to bust some cool moves on a date . . . unless you have arms like Lou Ferrigno or Arnold Swartzenegger.
lodge-cast-iron-wok-hero-new-z.jpg

Last edited:

We have numerous cast iron cookware. My favorite is the cornbread pan that has individual sections for each piece. It makes every piece with crust all around. I have 2 dutch ovens in case I have to start cooking over an open fire when SHTF. I believe all of my pieces are Lodge.

I have a cast-iron skillet that has been with me for 25 years already (where the hell does the time go?), and it's gotten a better surface with constant use.

I season with grapeseed oil, just by cooking bacon to leave a layer of pork fat to season it . . . and--believe it or not--simple Wesson vegetable oil works just fine.
My prize cooking possession must be my cast iron 14 inch wok. It is one solid piece of cast iron, with a flat shoe and a completely round (hemispherical) interior . . . with a large handle on one side with a smaller stabilizer handle opposite.

I like to cook a lot of Chinese and Thai food, with an ongoing attempt to perfect my Phillipino pancit dish . . . but I'm nowhere near where I want to be on this particular dish.

I was looking for years . . . until an Internet-savvy young lady--a friend--helped me track down the perfect wok in about 5 minutes. I was at my wit's end and was ready to have one custom-made, when this young lady found my perfect wok (literally, no concessions on my part) for about $32.00 plus shipping (I don't remember what the shipping was), and I could do nothing but experiment with cooking Chinese food in a cast-iron wok, and you really could taste a difference. This is it below. This photo is from Sonoma Williams, which lists this thing for $99.00, which may put you off . . . but if you hunt around, you can this find for $30.00 to $40.00. All of the covers, specialty wok tools (like the minature rack that fits on the side of the wok, for when you're cooking dim-sum dumplings, for example) are compatable, and can be found in any Asian store . . . or simply ordered from Amazon individually or as a set.

This thing is so heavy, though, that you won't be using it to flip up and down to bust some cool moves on a date . . . unless you have arms like Lou Ferrigno or Arnold Swartzenegger.View attachment 12866
I have a large fry pan that I believe is 14 inches and that thing is super heavy. I use an oblong pan that requires 2 burners for most of my family meals. I love it. Mom brought it when she moved in.

I have a large fry pan that I believe is 14 inches and that thing is super heavy. I use an oblong pan that requires 2 burners for most of my family meals. I love it. Mom brought it when she moved in.
A friend of mine in New York inherited an antique cast iron skillet from his mother that is probably over 100 years old. His great grandparents brought it with them from somewhere in Southern Italy when they immigrated here and settled in Brooklyn.

I remember his mother cooking breakfast for us in that skillet when we were teenagers. The smooth layer of nonstick carbon that has built up in this pan was as smooth as satin, and was just as slippery as a Teflon pan . . . often, she could cook us eggs without using any cooking spray.

I'm looking for a flat cast iron skillet for making omelets on. I can find some cheap Chinese made ones. I checked with Lodge and they said that due to high demand they had to have some of their models made in China. I told them that I'll wait until they start making them in the US again.
What size skillet you looking for ? Some times I run across them at the farmers market sale.

What size skillet you looking for ? Some times I run across them at the farmers market sale.
I'm looking for a 12" skillet. I have no idea where the nearest goodwill store is. But I just remembered that we have a "Thrifty store" in town. I'll check them out next time I'm in town.

These are 2 of my favorites.

On the left, a Lodge Grill pan. Grill lines anything on the stove top

On the right, an Upan sausage cooker from New Zealand. Ingenious design makes any normal curved sausage cook straight for a bun. And evenly cooked too. Works great on my grill too, cause the sausages don’t roll. I just got it and after 2 uses it vaults to number 2 of 10 cast iron pans list.

4E275957-8C1D-41F6-8805-C462DD8AA823.jpeg

Artic,you should try looking at antique shops. They just might have something there that you're going to want.
Thats a good idea too. Second hand or antique shops are probably 100 miles at least from my place. Usually when I'm down where these shops are I forget to stop in and look. I need to make a list.

Thats a good idea too. Second hand or antique shops are probably 100 miles at least from my place. Usually when I'm down where these shops are I forget to stop in and look. I need to make a list.

I have found some good quality ones in Junktique shops if you look past the rust.

Plenty of videos on restoring. A personal favorite was by Stony Ridge Farmer. He used the oven cleaning cycle to help remove rust.

Latest posts

Back