Cast iron cookware and SHTF....

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
depends on your definition of "enemy" I suppose, in a financial context yes I would agree with you but if you think China is going to declare all out war on the US and its allies I think that is incorrect.

when was the last time the UK or France made simulated missile attacks on US naval vessels passing your way?

allies don't - potential enemy combatants do >>> Whether the US and China go to war will depend on the Pentagon deciding to mutiny against China Joe and defend Taiwan and save 25M innocent people from annihilation ....

https://prepschooldaily.blogspot.com?

#s Briquettes vs Cooking Temps for Dutch Ovens

DUTCH OVEN TEMPERATURE CHART
300 degrees325 degrees350 degrees375 degrees400 degrees425 degrees
8”Top: 9
Bottom: 4
10”Top: 12
Bottom: 6
12”Top: 15
Bottom: 6
14”Top: 19
Bottom: 9
16”Top: 24
Bottom: 11

We keep a container of clean bacon greese in the frig just to re-season cast iron. Vegetable oil will not coat cast iron correctly, not build up a long term coating like lard will. I warm the cast iron pan then coat inside and outside with bacon greese. Next I put the pan outside on the grill upside down and heat it to about 2oo-250 deg. for an hour or two. Till the excess grease drains off and the pan takes on a non-sticky feel. You can season several pans at the same time.

We keep a container of clean bacon greese in the frig just to re-season cast iron. Vegetable oil will not coat cast iron correctly, not build up a long term coating like lard will. I warm the cast iron pan then coat inside and outside with bacon greese. Next I put the pan outside on the grill upside down and heat it to about 2oo-250 deg. for an hour or two. Till the excess grease drains off and the pan takes on a non-sticky feel. You can season several pans at the same time.
Teflon is a scam.

I use lard almost every day and my frying pans, dutch oven, broiler and soup pots all get a coating after use so they do not rust, then they are packed away in the pantry with a layer of paper between the lids and the pans so they can breathe a bit. Lard is the best cure material for cast iron.
Have not tried Flaxseed yet and yes Teflon is a deadly scam, just as bad as the spray "PAM" many people use...not healthy...Gary

We use cast iron skillets and Dutch ovens. Plus many other cast iron cooking items that I don't know what they're called. The wife keeps a jar of bacon grease in the fridge for cooking and seasoning the cast iron with.
The other day she bought a 2 burner cast iron stove. She said something about rendering down some pork fat. I really wasn't listening so I have no idea what that means or what she plans on doing with it.
She let me keep one "non-stick" pan for making omelets on. Its about worn out now and she won't let me replace it.

We keep a container of clean bacon greese in the frig just to re-season cast iron.
My Mother always did the same for her cast iron skillets, which I have and I have the bacon grease in the fridge to go with them. Not the same bacon grease she had, this is newer????? LOL
I even have 3 sets in my prepper stashes and one in our camping equipment.
My Wife and Daughter-in-Law just bought some neat little homemade grip holders for all of the cast iron skillets, they work great, but I'm not fond of some of the flower designs!:rolleyes::rolleyes:

The other day she bought a 2 burner cast iron stove.
NOW I am I am really jealous, been looking for a cast iron stove here for a while. They are still being used by most and will stay in the family for generations. Hard to find anybody ready to sell one.
If you take the fat from the butchered pig and cook it real slow, the hard parts separate themselves from the fat, which turns to oil and you skim the oil into holders, it cools down to your lard for cooking and seasoning your cast iron. Much healthier than the vegetable oils we normally have used before for cooking and more flavor too.

Latest posts

Back