Cast iron cookware and SHTF....

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I helped an older man demolish an old house on some land he purchased, as we were tearing out the cabinets I found a 5qt cast iron deep fryer with a wire basket. It had been in the old house for at least 12 years with a leaking roof and no heat, I took the fryer down to my shop and bead blasted all the rust off, seasoned it and now it’s as good as it ever was. I’m glad to have it in my collection of cast iron.

Just last week I decided to give the lady next door one of my skillets. Cast iron with an enamel bottom and a wooden removable handle, real unusual pan that I found in a second hand shop for $3...she was very surprised and the only word I understood in her talking to my wife was the word "expensive". Hope she likes it and can hand-me-down it for her kids some day. GP

I love cooking with cast iron.

I have a Lodge cast iron wok that is one of my most prized posessions.

I like to cook Chinese food, and a cast iron wok works very well.

I usually cook and season with cold-pressed grapeseed oil, as grapeseed oil doesn't seem to scorch and turn black like corn oil and/or safflower oil.

I don't trust Teflon cookware. There are a million and one cautions about pet birds (like parrots) dying from fumes simply by being in the same room as a Teflon pan. See link below:

https://vcahospitals.com/know-your-pet/teflon-polytetrafluoroethylene-poisoning-in-birds
So, my point is this: Why would any reasonable person want to eat food that was cooked in a pan that gives off a toxin that kills birds almost as quickly as nerve gas? That people would do so doesn't sound reasonable.

So there is something that I'm obviously missing.

There is probably a decent business in finding dirty old cast iron cookware in the abandoned homes in the Finnish countryside where i am, cleaning them up and selling them to city folk. I found 2 pans and a big pot with a lid in the wood shed when I moved in to our house. Cleaned them up with some vinegar and a wire brush and then reseasoned them. After a few weeks of use we were converted and got rid of all the modern crap ones.

Since an while i came away from using Teflon - coated cooking ware. Not one of them was really lasting long, the coating was going off fast always.
For daily use i got now stainless steel pots or email-coatet pans. Both make kind me happy and are easy to clean.
As well i own and use cast iron pots, two of them emailled as well, one is an casserole and the other one is for Fondue 😇 (Swiss love to melt cheese). An smaller iron pan i use for outdoors. Important for me was i can use them on an camp fire as well like at an gas or fuel burner and on my induction.

After buying so many teflon pans, lifetime warranty, NOT, I went back to cast iron. I hear its better for you. They really can last a lifetime or more. Yes they have to be washed and cured, but its a small price to pay for an heirloom.

So, my point is this: Why would any reasonable person want to eat food that was cooked in a pan that gives off a toxin that kills birds almost as quickly as nerve gas?
Small birds and especially parakeets were used in WW I as EARLY WARNING for poisonous gas attacks. They are very sensitive to small changes in the atmospere and die quickly.

there was a warning out a few years ago about the cheap Chinese crap - alot of the "no name" 6" fry pans were their knock-offs >>>> they were including everything & anything in those scrap metal melts & pours .....

I stick with the old tried true name brands - Lodge & Griswold - have some doubt about the new TV chef & food critic private label brands >>> if the $$$$ is right I'll take grandma's old well seasoned cast iron that is no-name ....

What I look for all the time are stray lids - they'll fit the bigger fry pans and sometimes you'll find an orphan stew pot without a lid .....

Last edited:
there was a warning out a few years ago about the cheap Chinese crap - alot of the "no name" 6" fry pans were their knock-offs >>>> they were including everything & anything in those scrap metal melts & pours .....

I stick with the old tried true name brands - Lodge & Griswold - have some doubt about the new TV chef & food critic private label brands >>> if the $$$$ is right I'll take grandma's old well seasoned cast iron that is no-name ....

What I look for all the time are stray lids - they'll fit the bigger fry pans and sometimes you'll find an orphan stew pot without a lid .....
We buy only American made cast iron, as well as almost everything else. I won't support our enemy financially by buying their cheap crap.

We buy only American made cast iron, as well as almost everything else. I won't support our enemy financially by buying their cheap crap.
depends on your definition of "enemy" I suppose, in a financial context yes I would agree with you but if you think China is going to declare all out war on the US and its allies I think that is incorrect.

Latest posts

Back