Cash or no cash?

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goodselfme

Reaction score
I read somewhere sometime ago to have at least $500 in small bills in the home if possible. If our current monetary system goes downhill even more than it has been the small bills in cash might be worth quite a bit more when and if the grid goes down in a doomsday senario. The ATM will be out, banks won't be functioning with the grid out, so preppers this makes sense to me.

I read somewhere sometime ago to have at least $500 in small bills in the home if possible. If our current monetary system goes downhill even more than it has been the small bills in cash might be worth quite a bit more when and if the grid goes down in a doomsday scenario. The ATM will be out, banks won't be functioning with the grid out, so preppers this makes sense to me.
That is a good Idea. If the money devalues anymore you could use the small bills as kindling to start a fire.
Seriously though, if there is a shortage in peoples ability to access their cash it will make what you have on hand all the more valuable.

That is a good Idea. If the money devalues anymore you could use the small bills as kindling to start a fire.
Seriously though, if there is a shortage in peoples ability to access their cash it will make what you have on hand all the more valuable.
I fully agree with your statements and mentioned "If our current monetary system goes downhill even more than it has been the small bills in cash might be worth quite a bit more when and if the grid goes down in a doomsday senario." We really don't know the outcome of all the ramifications of the coming times when the SHTF.

I fully agree with your statements and mentioned "If our current monetary system goes downhill even more than it has been the small bills in cash might be worth quite a bit more when and if the grid goes down in a doomsday senario." We really don't know the outcome of all the ramifications of the coming times when the SHTF.
This is true which i why trying to prepare for as many scenarios as possible is so very important. Every scenario has some basic necessities that are the same, i.e. food, water, protection, but they deeper you go into specific scenarios is where each person needs to decide what will cover the most bases using the least amount of money, and attracting the least amount of attention.

This is true which i why trying to prepare for as many scenarios as possible is so very important. Every scenario has some basic necessities that are the same, i.e. food, water, protection, but they deeper you go into specific scenarios is where each person needs to decide what will cover the most bases using the least amount of money, and attracting the least amount of attention.
Prepping is so varied according to possible event , location and ability to prepare too. Your site provides so much that can help anyone get ready for many instances. The brainstorming is so helpful of like minded people willing to share what they know for others to take or leave. You are so right about digging deeper to find what a person can use and apply for their own prepping task.

Prepping is so varied according to possible event , location and ability to prepare too. Your site provides so much that can help anyone get ready for many instances. The brainstorming is so helpful of like minded people willing to share what they know for others to take or leave. You are so right about digging deeper to find what a person can use and apply for their own prepping task.
The whole premise for starting this website was to build a community of people who can share and learn from and with others. Kind of a safety and strength in numbers.

The whole premise for starting this website was to build a community of people who can share and learn from and with others. Kind of a safety and strength in numbers.
Your idea is a valuable and good one. It is materializing well. I have learned a lot from here. Sometimes the little things that people offer to another can spur on monumental ideas to consider too. It is a match that lights the fire. I am off to the DIY area to post a question for the fellow who offered to look up answers.

Your idea is a valuable and good one. It is materializing well. I have learned a lot from here. Sometimes the little things that people offer to another can spur on monumental ideas to consider too. It is a match that lights the fire. I am off to the DIY area to post a question for the fellow who offered to look up answers.
I am very happy to hear you have benefited from this site!

I am very happy to hear you have benefited from this site!
You are a good moderator too. You are right on replying to others comments and give lots of good directives also. I appreciate your efforts and the prepper info I have learned here.

The cash no cash thing is pointless if the economy goes into the toilet and the government can't pay up then it won't matter how much money you have it'll be pointless money is but a promise saying take this you'll be paid later money is but a promise it's not the bills that are worth something it's the promise behind that so keep the bills fine they burn well but if the economy collapses then they will mean nothing at all food water and ammo will become currency if this happens otherwise supllies you can barter with but money will be useles if this happens

The cash no cash thing is pointless if the economy goes into the toilet and the government can't pay up then it won't matter how much money you have it'll be pointless money is but a promise saying take this you'll be paid later money is but a promise it's not the bills that are worth something it's the promise behind that so keep the bills fine they burn well but if the economy collapses then they will mean nothing at all food water and ammo will become currency if this happens otherwise supllies you can barter with but money will be useles if this happens
Hell, money is barely worth anything now! and is China cashes in we are seriously screwed!

Personally we don't know the ramifications but history repeats itself. Almost every scenario for the SHTF, it has happened numerous times in the past to other cultures/civilizations. Study some history, learn from them folks....it's because of them and their survival abilities that humankind has and always will thrive.

Personally we don't know the ramifications but history repeats itself. Almost every scenario for the SHTF, it has happened numerous times in the past to other cultures/civilizations. Study some history, learn from them folks....it's because of them and their survival abilities that humankind has and always will thrive.
It is true that humans have the ability to overcome great adversity! You are right in that this has been proven time and time again. We are also, sadly, the only creatures on the plant bent on destroying themselves. "Wild animals" pretty much only kill for food and protection of their own families and territory. Humans will also kill for pure greed and/or just for the sake of killing.

I would agree with the food, water and ammo as having much more residual value than paper money in the case of an economic collapse...but any barter items would serve well also. The more fundamental the need, the greater the value.

I would agree with the food, water and ammo as having much more residual value than paper money in the case of an economic collapse...but any barter items would serve well also. The more fundamental the need, the greater the value.
I think barter system is where we will go once the SHTF. I agree that certain things will become extremely valuable. Who knows matches maybe the most valuable items next to food or ammo.

I dont think money is going to make a difference at all. You can eat it, you wont be able to buy anything because all the stores would be closed or robbed of all goods. Money is not something I will be storing. Mine is food, water, protection, and the ability to start a new( seeds and animals). The difference between now and the 1920's is, people were not as crazy back then like they are now. Back then people stole from store because they needed food or had a bad habit. Now people steal because they are board and just feel like it and kill each other over nothing. If something happens I will be leaving this big city ASAP!

I dont think money is going to make a difference at all. You can eat it, you wont be able to buy anything because all the stores would be closed or robbed of all goods. Money is not something I will be storing. Mine is food, water, protection, and the ability to start a new( seeds and animals). The difference between now and the 1920's is, people were not as crazy back then like they are now. Back then people stole from store because they needed food or had a bad habit. Now people steal because they are board and just feel like it and kill each other over nothing. If something happens I will be leaving this big city ASAP!
Well said!
people certainly have changed since the early to mid 1900's. It is appalling how bad society, as a whole, is getting.

I read somewhere sometime ago to have at least $500 in small bills in the home if possible. If our current monetary system goes downhill even more than it has been the small bills in cash might be worth quite a bit more when and if the grid goes down in a doomsday senario. The ATM will be out, banks won't be functioning with the grid out, so preppers this makes sense to me.
This is a good idea however once shtf paper money will be almost worthless, best to start melting down jewelry as precious metals and/or supplies will be the best money.

Eventually everything will resort back to the barter system.

Latest posts

Back