Cash or no cash?

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
well in NYC very little checks are taken even now, so for sure not during a crisis. They won't take them during good times!

A Friend visited me once and had travelers checks, which we thought every one knew about. And the walmart in Long Island would not take them, they said how did they know they were real, they had never seen them, yadda yadda yadda. And I was like um, I always get them and they are supposed to be guaranteed, but nope that walmart wouldn't take them!

In anything less than the total meltdown of society, cash is always king, as long as there's faith it will be worth something tomorrow.

I will say though the smaller the denomination the better. In NYC very few people will take any thing over a 20. (not the food carts, not the small restaurants, nor small businesses, etc etc So keep your monies in 20 dollar bills or less.

I personally like to keep 1's, 5's and 10's mainly. People more readily take them. Even the 20's are examined thoroughly in NYC before being taken. 1's, 5's and 10's are not examined or under any scrutiny yet.

I will say though the smaller the denomination the better. In NYC very few people will take any thing over a 20. (not the food carts, not the small restaurants, nor small businesses, etc etc So keep your monies in 20 dollar bills or less.

I personally like to keep 1's, 5's and 10's mainly. People more readily take them. Even the 20's are examined thoroughly in NYC before being taken. 1's, 5's and 10's are not examined or under any scrutiny yet.
I'm starting to think being in NYC either pre or post shtf is not a good place to be! Lol. I've only been to the city once and the sights were amazing, but any place that populated would get pretty ugly after about 5days of no power or food/water shipments. I feel anyone that lives in any large city should really be focused on a good bug out plan. Sorry, I get distracted easily, back to the money, I agree twentys or smaller is good for trade, but a few hundreds hid away will let you have more resources that should be easy to conceal. Remember that cash is not the only resource out there. A lot of Jews escaping Germany were able to bribe officials with jewelry, art, diamonds, etc. anything that people consider luxury or desirable can be used for barter.

There is no amount of money they could pay me to move to Communist NYC. I have a friend that lives there, and I keep asking him why he still lives there. He wants to move back to Texas, but with 5 kids that makes it kinda hard on him to do. I always tell him he needs to GET OUT before it's to late.

yeah..money or no money..a person don't need to be within 100 miles of any big city after tshtf..i never enjoyed the idea of living in a big city to begin with.just to many people for me..money will be good at first after a shtf situation happens.but what is it gonna be worth 4 tr 6 months later?

Here's a mini-economic uncertainty situation for you - shopping at Target LOL!

I had to buy something at Target the other day, because nobody else carried it. Not a snowball's chance in hell that I would let them touch my debit card! I paid with a $100 bill, and I was ready to give it to him with both barrels if he made a fuss. He didn't even blink. In fact, he didn't even examine it.

I guess a lot of people are paying with cash at Target these days.;)

If the electronic payments systems go down, THEY WILL take $100 bills in NYC...or go out of business!

yeah situations like that.and as long as we have some sort of economy..folks wont ask twice if at all,much less deny cash money..

where i work we are told not to look at the bill, just take it, for fear of offending the customer. we are a little overboard on customer friendliness! luckily i dont think we get too many fake ones.

I can tell you there is signs up in the business that they will not take 100 dollar bills. It would be the same as going out of business as to take fake 100 dollar bills which was happening a lot. (fake money is more worthless...then not selling cause then you are out the goods and the money both!).

NYC has had the SHTF a few times-more then 5 days...believe me it was more then 5 days after 9/11, it was more then 5 days when we had a major black out, and it was more then 5 days after Sandy. And believe me all those were pretty big and they weren't taking 100 dollar bills, they didn't.

Actually during SHTF in NYC people are pretty nice the first few weeks. In fact surprisingly nice. In actuality, I must admit my neighbors in NYC were always more friendly then other places I lived.

OTOH, I agree, not the place to live-you will be stuck because they won't let you off the island for free, and when they can't take your money to get out they make you stay there! And you are stuck where ever you are. During the black out my inlaws were stuck in manhattan, and they lived in Queens. Just couldn't get home till the bridges and tunnels could take money again.

I also agree it's hard to get out when you have kids and a family. Not with out help, cause unless you are some kind of multimillionaire you are living check to check and can't save enough money to get out! We had to freefall into my family. We asked them and planned for 5 years before leaving the city, my family said yes we could come home and live till we needed. So we free fell out of NYC (still had to pay a lot to move, and had to pay a moving fee to our co-op-thousands of dollars-20 grand! And blah blah blah). But, we are just now getting on our feet 3 1/2 years later after leaving NYC. I mean we have been out of my parents house for a while, but still took a while to find stability. My dh job was more stable then most jobs, and now it's not so stable here.... But, I still agree it's safer here...more natural resources if he STHF. They will be gone fast in NYC. If any one knows how to use them! lol haha

PrairieWife, I think it's a moot point anyhow. In a complete economic breakdown, you won't be able to spend $1 bills at stores in large cities because there won't be any stores, at least not the kind you are used to shopping in.

If we've learned anything from history, it's that when people get desperate, they will gut the stores first, before they resort to robbing other people. They feel less guilt over robbing a store.

True that's why I prefaced my first post with not during a REAL SHTF, (although 9/11 was pretty big S...) but for small scale things that could happen to any one in any town it is still a good idea-

Tornado, small attacks, like OKC bombings, black outs, etc those will be times when it's short term and not long term SHTF times that people will need the cash in hand.

I'm starting to think being in NYC either pre or post shtf is not a good place to be!

When considering any large city during a SHTF event, NYC is probably the WORST one to be in...mostly due to it basically being an island, with limited means off the island. On the flip side though, you can likely expect help quick, if able.

I purchase silver and gold from Merit and my broker told me that 80% of his customers are preppers. They usually split their investment between coins and bullion. I only do coins. In a SHTF situation, what business/trader is going to know the value of bullion? I'm kind of worried that they won't know that a mint 1964 Kennedy half dollar is worth about $13.00 right now and could potentially be worth double or triple that if things go downhill.
I think it's advisable to keep a variety of tradable resources on hand - cash of mostly small denominations, plenty of coins in all denominations because even date-current coins may have more value than paper, high value silver and gold coins, jewelry and gemstones, cigarettes, alcohol, dried and freezedried foods, bottled water, antibiotics and other medications, hygiene products - the list is truly endless.

Latest posts

Back