Cash or no cash?

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is a good idea however once shtf paper money will be almost worthless, best to start melting down jewelry as precious metals and/or supplies will be the best money.

Eventually everything will resort back to the barter system.
Trading beaver pelts again, oh joy!
I am sure once again those items deemed as a vice, i.e. alcohol, and cigarettes, will be sold for a premium.
Guns, and gas will be up there at the top of everyone's shopping lists!

Just like everyone else has said, paper money will go out the window when the gov drops. Barting will be main ways of gathering supplies ammo food, etc. Silver start savin and gold.

No cash. Ammunition, water purification, gun parts, wide spectrum antibiotics. Those will be currency.

Definitely agree with everybody that paper money is not the way to go and that the barter system will definitely be in full effect. I would go with extra ammo precious metals, water, food, and I think if you had medicine that would be a really good barter tool. If everything is closed and we are in a SHTF situation people will need meds. I have a really good stash of silver too since it can do double duty as bartering or you can melt it down and make bullets with it if needed.

In my personal opinion, I believe cash will be useless. The value of our American dollar has drastically reduced even today. If America goes bankrupt and we can't pay anyone back, might as well burn the cash to keep warm. I think having items to barter will be priceless. Having things people (non-preppers) don't think of prepping such as alcohol (not just for drinking), first aid kits, sanitary pads for women, matches/lighters and the like will get you a lot further when the SHTF.

Average life span of a fiat currency is 27 years, we did pretty good so far but the odds are against us that it will last forever. We don't know if forever is tomorrow or 100 years from now, but I don't want to be caught with a fistful of cash in a Mexican standoff.

very expensive bullets!

Yes but silver is loosing value right now, down over 10.00 an oz in the last month or so, and hey if there is nothing else then why not it will work.

Yes, the money will pretty much be worthless. Some are buying gold and silver, but I agree that the barter system using everyday essentials will be the route most survivors will follow. I have seen people recommend using alcohol as a barter item, but I would only feel comfortable with that if there was considerable distance gained away from the recipients before they started chugging it down. I personally would not use ammo was a barter item unless I was desperate for some specific goods. Ammo will be next to impossible to replace, so hanging onto it makes better sense. Heck, whether it is due to stock-piling or panic-buying, a person can't find anything in the way of ammo now.

Yes, the money will pretty much be worthless. Some are buying gold and silver, but I agree that the barter system using everyday essentials will be the route most survivors will follow. I have seen people recommend using alcohol as a barter item, but I would only feel comfortable with that if there was considerable distance gained away from the recipients before they started chugging it down. I personally would not use ammo was a barter item unless I was desperate for some specific goods. Ammo will be next to impossible to replace, so hanging onto it makes better sense. Heck, whether it is due to stock-piling or panic-buying, a person can't find anything in the way of ammo now.
I think everybody is right on about the cash thing. Didn't have much stocks but sold all and bought items for our survival storage. I didn't want to be caught with my pants down like in the last big crash. Loss my a** then. The $75,000.00 in stocks (now in survival stuff) will be worth 10 times that WTSHTF. My wife liked to sh*t when I told her what I was doing. She is thankful now that she sees what is comming. It's like I always said that if you have a BAR of gold and are starving and dying of thirst and I have a can of soup and a gal. of water, you will give me that bar of gold for the can of soup and the gal. of water. I have no confidence in money.

Wouldn't plan on bartering with alcohol unless you don't plan on bugging out. Imagine carrying around all that liquor. What a pita.

I think barter system is where we will go once the SHTF. I agree that certain things will become extremely valuable. Who knows matches maybe the most valuable items next to food or ammo.
Ok this may sound really dumb, but i am still processing everything I am learning. So does anyone think that eventually money will have a value again? Like, I saved and after the SHTF and everythng gets built back up and starts over, per say, that money would again have a value?

History says no. I think that if your saving for emergency you should look into universal currency. Precious metals, spices, alcohol, seeds, ammo, cigarettes, canned foods ands so on.

History says no. I think that if your saving for emergency you should look into universal currency. Precious metals, spices, alcohol, seeds, ammo, cigarettes, canned foods ands so on.

Thanks, I was kinda figureing that would be the best way to go, but I had to ask ! LOL

Now, answer me this. In a future with little to no gas, what would you trade for a well broke, sound horse with saddle and bridle? I figure what we have to offer will be worth a fair bit in times to come.

I think they can be as well as long as someone can recognize the need for the skill.

What would you trade for a Klondike bar? They say history repeats itself. Back in the Great Depression bartering became a way of life and money is used today. Sure money will come back in some form. Time has proven that over and over. It won't be dollars though it will be something else. Just like in the civil war. Confederate money was used.

Latest posts

Back