Carrying your CORE EDC gear.

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BillMasen

A True Doomsday Prepper
Banned
Reaction score
Yes I know talking about prepping on a prepping forum instead of politics is unusual but what the heck :)

Some years ago the IRA detonated bombs on the tube and on a bus in central London, my associate was en-route to a conference. (7/7) Six points I ask people to consider.

1 As soon as everything kicked off the authorities turned off all the cell towers cutting comms for central London. Many buildings were ordered to evacuate, including the one my colleague was visiting. the Cops told them in NO UNCERTAIN TERMS to LEAVE THEIR BAGS. (suspecting more bombs)

2 in the US on 911 as the towers burned then fell and people were fleeing blind in thick ash and smoke most had NO OPPORTUNITY to grab their bags, AND also many surviving police hero's on that day were telling people or even ordering people to leave there bags behind.

3 On the Madrid train bomb the travellers bags and luggage was stored at the end of the carriages, or in overhead racks. When the train blew up much luggage was destroyed, more was inaccessible because of structural damage, and more bags were simply scattered when the train screeched to a halt. Equally on the high speed trains that crashed in Spain ( train went to fast round a bend) the baggage and luggage was again scattered or crushed or trapped. In the German high speed train crash when it ploughed into a concrete overbridge the story was the same.

4 When the big ferries capsized and sank in the English channel ( Herald of free enterprise plus another in the Baltic) the lights failed quickly as the vessels began to role, most bags and luggage could not be grabbed as people tried to climb out of the vessels.

5 When terrorists attacked the Theatre in Paris and the shopping center in Nairobi most people HAD to abandon their bags and packs as they scrambled to hide and escape, some climbing out of toilet windows or jumping from car park roofs.

6 During the recent wave of civil unrest in the US on multiple occasions drivers were ambushed by gangs of extremists, many were forced to abandon their vehicles and flee, few could recover there bags or packs. when the dreadful multiple mass shootings in schools occur most students had to flee or were ordered to leave WITHOUT their bags and their hands above their heads.

I respectfully suggest that the best and possibly ONLY place for your CORE ESSENTIAL EDC gear is ON YOUR PERSON and not in a bag, The USEFUL EXTRAS but not essentials obviously can go in bags because it makes sense. But I ask folks to think hard about likely scenarios you MAY face and how easy it is to get separated from your bags.

Last edited:
LOL I wish they would make ladies clothes with enough/big enough pockets for this!
I have been noticing ladies pockets have been getting smaller in size over the years and some have even eliminated the front pockets just making it look like they are there for "a slimmer looking fit" . Maybe making fun of these big breasted women who stuff everything into their bra are actually on to something. . . ;)

LOL I wish they would make ladies clothes with enough/big enough pockets for this!

Yup my poor wife has to sew extra pocket linings into all the standard pockets of her jeans, they are all only a 1/4 of the length of mens pants. She has also added extra pockets inside the waistband of her longer skirts.

I have been noticing ladies pockets have been getting smaller in size over the years and some have even eliminated the front pockets just making it look like they are there for "a slimmer looking fit" . Maybe making fun of these big breasted women who stuff everything into their bra are actually on to something. . . ;)
I have seen a few pants designs that advertise (possibly) adequate pockets but they were quite expensive. Maybe I should invest in a pair and see how they do.

OP, those attacks happened in big cities. One reason the "War on Terror" was minimized and made fun of, at least here, is the fact that rural people are not the targets yet we had to observe all the same "wartime" restrictions. London is a world financial capitol as is NYC. Madrid and Paris are high profile capitol cities also.

The walking about kit you carry in a city is going to be a bit different than one for walking the dogs to the lake in the country. Besides, the kit I would want to carry, even in my home city, involves first and primarily a firearm. This is probably illegal in all the cities mentioned.

I carry EDC stuff in a very small zipper nylon camera pouch (the kind of pouch for a small camera that a tourist might have) that goes on the belt. They are available at Walmart for about $8.00, or you can get one at a thrift store for a dollar or so.

They don't look out of place.
16145697010121621268333.jpg

See above, with my wristwatch for size comparison.

I carry a small flashlight, a paracord bracelet, a compass, a Bic cigarette lighter, a folding knife with a built-in flashlight, and surgical gloves.

3c_12.jpg.cf.jpg

The above knife has a car window-breaker (there are a lot of waterways in Florida), a bottle-opener, a mini flashlight, a seatbelt cutter, a ferroceramic firestarter, and a combo blade. It was $13.00 at Walmart, and I've been using it for almost 3 years.

I usually wear combat boots, and I have a black plastic handcuff key laced into my boot laces. My Swiss army knife (a Victorinox Swiss Champ) is in my pocket, and it has too many tools to list here.

I also have a wire "commando" saw in the pouch, and usually about $400.00 in cash.

And several other things.

So . . . you don't have to look like you're a "special ops" person in order to carry these things if you use a zippered camera pouch.

I forgot to mention that I usually carry a stainless Walther PPK/S with 2 spare magazines, and this piece either rides in an ankle holster, or under my shirt in a special elastic tee-shirt that has a holster built in.

The above pouch is great, because the first pocket in front holds my money, ID, CCW card, and credit cards . . . while all my toys go in the larger main compartment.

Last edited:
I carry EDC stuff in a very small zipper nylon camera pouch (the kind of pouch for a small camera that a tourist might have) that goes on the belt. They are available at Walmart for about $8.00, or you can get one at a thrift store for a dollar or so.

They don't look out of place.View attachment 12318

See above, with my wristwatch for size comparison.

I carry a small flashlight, a paracord bracelet, a compass, a Bic cigarette lighter, a folding knife with a built-in flashlight, and surgical gloves.

View attachment 12319

The above knife has a car window-breaker (there are a lot of waterways in Florida), a bottle-opener, a mini flashlight, a seatbelt cutter, a ferroceramic firestarter, and a combo blade. It was $13.00 at Walmart, and I've been using it for almost 3 years.

I usually wear combat boots, and I have a black plastic handcuff key laced into my boot laces. My Swiss army knife (a Victorinox Swiss Champ) is in my pocket, and it has too many tools to list here.

I also have a wire "commando" saw in the pouch, and usually about $400.00 in cash.

And several other things.

So . . . you don't have to look like you're a "special ops" person in order to carry these things if you use a zippered camera pouch.

I forgot to mention that I usually carry a stainless Walther PPK/S with 2 spare magazines, and this piece either rides in an ankle holster, or under my shirt in a special elastic tee-shirt that has a holster built in.

The above pouch is great, because the first pocket in front holds my money, ID, CCW card, and credit cards . . . while all my toys go in the larger main compartment.

Very nicely thought out Kevin. Its unusual to hear of preppers EDCing James Bonds gun :)

Very nicely thought out Kevin. Its unusual to hear of preppers EDCing James Bonds gun :)
Thank you.

I collect guns, and most of my guns are ones that are historically interesting. I may also carry my Bulgarian Makarov ("Pistolet Makarova"), my Beretta .32 Cheetah, or my .38 snub nose Smith and Wesson 442.

My Makarov is actually one of the most reliable guns that I have. I know it's a 60 year old design, but I rate it's reliability to be up there with a Glock.

Yes I know talking about prepping on a prepping forum instead of politics is unusual but what the heck :)

Some years ago the IRA detonated bombs on the tube and on a bus in central London, my associate was en-route to a conference. (7/7) Six points I ask people to consider.

1 As soon as everything kicked off the authorities turned off all the cell towers cutting comms for central London. Many buildings were ordered to evacuate, including the one my colleague was visiting. the Cops told them in NO UNCERTAIN TERMS to LEAVE THEIR BAGS. (suspecting more bombs)

2 in the US on 911 as the towers burned then fell and people were fleeing blind in thick ash and smoke most had NO OPPORTUNITY to grab their bags, AND also many surviving police hero's on that day were telling people or even ordering people to leave there bags behind.

3 On the Madrid train bomb the travellers bags and luggage was stored at the end of the carriages, or in overhead racks. When the train blew up much luggage was destroyed, more was inaccessible because of structural damage, and more bags were simply scattered when the train screeched to a halt. Equally on the high speed trains that crashed in Spain ( train went to fast round a bend) the baggage and luggage was again scattered or crushed or trapped. In the German high speed train crash when it ploughed into a concrete overbridge the story was the same.

4 When the big ferries capsized and sank in the English channel ( Herald of free enterprise plus another in the Baltic) the lights failed quickly as the vessels began to role, most bags and luggage could not be grabbed as people tried to climb out of the vessels.

5 When terrorists attacked the Theatre in Paris and the shopping center in Nairobi most people HAD to abandon their bags and packs as they scrambled to hide and escape, some climbing out of toilet windows or jumping from car park roofs.

6 During the recent wave of civil unrest in the US on multiple occasions drivers were ambushed by gangs of extremists, many were forced to abandon their vehicles and flee, few could recover there bags or packs. when the dreadful multiple mass shootings in schools occur most students had to flee or were ordered to leave WITHOUT their bags and their hands above their heads.

I respectfully suggest that the best and possibly ONLY place for your CORE ESSENTIAL EDC gear is ON YOUR PERSON and not in a bag, The USEFUL EXTRAS but not essentials obviously can go in bags because it makes sense. But I ask folks to think hard about likely scenarios you MAY face and how easy it is to get separated from your bags.

I carry a 20L bag as get my home bag and if the events you describe above happen I have a removable 1L pouch. The pouch contains the core essentials. The main bag holds mostly spare clothing, tools and food and the 1L pouch has the water and canteen set and my redundancies and should suffice if needs be.

Contents of pouch or in my pockets:
Poncho/shelter
Water/canteen
Knife
Ferro rod
Lighter
Small food rations
Water filter
Basic first aid
Paracord
Multitool
Fishing Kit
Cash
Documents
Map
Compass

I should get home but it may not be fun.

I agree, Bill. Like you say, it's good to have layers. Not too tough to carry a decent amount of stuff.

And I'm a fan of carrying quality stuff, purpose built. Now that doesn't mean expensive at all, because I'm fairly "frugal" with some of my choices. Not so crazy about multi tools, as I'm not going to be fly tying, or fixing little things with the screw driver. Did find a small screw driver that carries 4 bits, and is used with a coin or knife blade for more torque. It's handy to field strip a lever action, and carry that and a bore snake when I'm out with a rifle.

I likely will need a sturdy knife for all kinds of cutting. Seatbelt, clothes for wound care, making shelter, fire, etc.

A gun, and a good amount of ammo. Whatever is stuck in a bag doesn't count.

Found myself out after dark in the bush quite a few times with no intention of being that far from the truck. So now, I've found that a Zippo style liquid fuel lighter is the most reliable option for fire. Replaced the rayon packing with cotton as it will start a fire without fuel. Spare flint is nice. I carry a small amount of extra fuel. Usually a very small vial, but sometimes a 15 ml cologne bottle. Would give me enough fuel for about a month outside. And a small amount of fire starter.

A good LED flashlight. And possibly extra batteries. I don't rely on cheap button cell "key chain" lights to run for a couple hours to get out of the bush or to assist with building a shelter, or finding my way out of a dark building/parking structure and identifying unfriendlys.

A couple hundred in cash in case I need fuel, a place to stay, or a meal, and the machines are down.

Clothes that are suited to the weather. If for some reason I have to walk, I want good gloves, and a hat that will keep my ears from freezing off. And possibly scarf, balaclava, or other face mask for cold.

A couple loratadine tablets in case an allergy acts up.

Eye drops, and a contact case, if I'm wearing contacts.

House keys, truck keys, tick key...

Usually a small, quality compass. I can get turned around, and sometimes it's helpful just to get a general direction. More for the bush, but I take lots of little surprise excursions! :rolleyes:

Hi, good post, I wonder if you have considered the BUTANE adaptor or the Butane Zippo as an alternative to the petrol version. I carried a zippo for years and got sick of getting chemical burns on my leg when the fuel leaked out. A lot of people dont appear to keep eye drops with them yey as we saw the the CA and OR fires and on 911 the air can be full of soot, grit, particles, hot ash etc, desperately needing eye drops, whilst spectacle wearers struggled with filthy eye classes, So I carry two small bottles of about 10mm of eye drops and Lens cleaner.

https://www.zippo.com/products/single-torch-butane-lighter-insert
1614936324439.jpeg

Hi, good post, I wonder if you have considered the BUTANE adaptor or the Butane Zippo as an alternative to the petrol version. I carried a zippo for years and got sick of getting chemical burns on my leg when the fuel leaked out. A lot of people dont appear to keep eye drops with them yey as we saw the the CA and OR fires and on 911 the air can be full of soot, grit, particles, hot ash etc, desperately needing eye drops, whilst spectacle wearers struggled with filthy eye classes, So I carry two small bottles of about 10mm of eye drops and Lens cleaner.

https://www.zippo.com/products/single-torch-butane-lighter-insert
View attachment 12334

Thanks Bill! No I'm not a fan of butane for emergency use. I can't carry a refill can in my pocket, and have bought a bunch of butane torches that have blown seals. Butane is not suitable for very high elevation, or extreme cold either. I had a pretty good little pocket torch that took the square Ronson lighters, and I carried a spare one and that hunting. Bulky for EDC though, and the piezo sparker quit on me eventually.

Found the cheap Star in my pocket now to be almost perfect. The flame size is good, fairly wind resistant, and there is nothing complicated to fix. Changing a flint is easy, and requires no tools, as long as you don't torque it in there. I can set it down and let it work on some shaved wood and pitch hands free as well.

Have gotten a little lighter fluid on myself when I overfill occasionally. I have a little leather belt sheath that works, but usually it's in a watch pocket. Usually I fill it about once a week, before I head out somewhere. If it's a bit over full, I'll light it up and let it burn for about a minute straight. Another couple advantages of the liquid lighters is good light output, and after filling it will have a strong flame for at least ten minutes. Maybe longer, but I quit timing.

IMG_20210305_030542_2.jpg

A few of the things in my pockets, that should help me survive. The small blue container has enough lighter fluid to refill. The flashlight is a dual fuel Nebo. Has a rechargeable battery that I can recharge in the light either by plugging it in, or using a lithium "battery bank" or I can take it out and replace it with 2 AAA batteries. I think it has 380 lumens on high. The little plastic container has two dissolving allergy tablets, earplugs, and fire starter. The overly gaudy looking knife is an assisted opening CKRT, that I I picked up very cheap at a liquidation store.

The one thing that I'm not crazy about with these lighters is the fuel evaporation, which is expected, and possibly getting them wet. And I've seen a remedy that helps for that. I would sometimes carry the peanut style lighters, which would hold fuel for months, or the eternal matches.

Hunting, hiking, sledding or quadding long distance I'll carry a lot more stuff, and somewhere in my bag I'll have a good flint and steel. Found MSR to be good stuff, and it's as fool proof as can be, but you have to have some quality, volatile fire starter to work well.

The one thing that I'm not crazy about with these lighters is the fuel evaporation, which is expected, and possibly getting them wet. And I've seen a remedy that helps for that. I would sometimes carry the peanut style lighters, which would hold fuel for months, or the eternal matches.

Hunting, hiking, sledding or quadding long distance I'll carry a lot more stuff, and somewhere in my bag I'll have a good flint and steel. Found MSR to be good stuff, and it's as fool proof as can be, but you have to have some quality, volatile fire starter to work well.

I do like Butane there is no elivation issues where I live, I use a Blazer PB207 its nearly 30 years old now and has been utterly reliable even during my army service. Not only can I light fires but I can solder and braze with it, double handy. horses for courses :)

Tool Butane Lighter Blazer PB207.jpg

View attachment 12336

A few of the things in my pockets, that should help me survive. The small blue container has enough lighter fluid to refill. The flashlight is a dual fuel Nebo. Has a rechargeable battery that I can recharge in the light either by plugging it in, or using a lithium "battery bank" or I can take it out and replace it with 2 AAA batteries. I think it has 380 lumens on high. The little plastic container has two dissolving allergy tablets, earplugs, and fire starter. The overly gaudy looking knife is an assisted opening CKRT, that I I picked up very cheap at a liquidation store.

Similar tastes I see, I use the NEBO Inspector flash light across my kits, and I have a lot of CRKT blades like the Liong Mah # 5, The CEO, the journeyer frame lock etc. Budget but good quality.

Latest posts

Back