car prep { any ideas}

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Colt 1911

Swiss army knives / multi tools
Reaction score
Started prepping the car, so far i have food, water, tent, stove, fuel ,wool blanket, tarp, rain gear, shovel,and tools. Mind you, I prep for earthquakes so I have a" Get Home Bag" with me 98% of the time. My GHB is set up for three days of survival. My plan is to get home fast but if i have to stay where the car is and hunker down "WHAT AM i MISSING " it feels light to me. Thanks for your input.

Started prepping the car, so far i have food, water, tent, stove, fuel ,wool blanket, tarp, rain gear, shovel,and tools. Mind you, I prep for earthquakes so I have a" Get Home Bag" with me 98% of the time. My GHB is set up for three days of survival. My plan is to get home fast but if i have to stay where the car is and hunker down "WHAT AM i MISSING " it feels light to me. Thanks for your input.
Well you mentioned rain gear but, what about warmer clothes should the quake happen in the winter.
What about personal protection? I know where you and I live the laws are pretty strict, but I figure you might could hide a small handgun in the door or strapped under the dash somewhere. I figure most of us will never have to worry about the police searching our cars.
Then of course is the old adage, "I would rather be tried by 12 than carried by 6!"

Well you mentioned rain gear but, what about warmer clothes should the quake happen in the winter.
What about personal protection? I know where you and I live the laws are pretty strict, but I figure you might could hide a small handgun in the door or strapped under the dash somewhere. I figure most of us will never have to worry about the police searching our cars.
Then of course is the old adage, "I would rather be tried by 12 than carried by 6!"
Now that's exactly the input i was looking for. On the warm cloths, I went with the gor tex rain gear, put that over the cloths i am wearing and I am solid. But the hand gun, now you are talking, maybe a small 22, like you said up under the dash. Perfect !!! thanks for the info.

Now that's exactly the input i was looking for. On the warm cloths, I went with the gor tex rain gear, put that over the cloths i am wearing and I am solid. But the hand gun, now you are talking, maybe a small 22, like you said up under the dash. Perfect !!! thanks for the info.
There is also a clothing called Thinsulate.
I would probably use a .38 snub nose, just because i want more stopping power.
I might also want some sort of torch lighter for either starting fires/stoves, and they can be used for welding some soft metals, and braising.
I would also keep 550 (parachute) cord, because you never know.

There is also a clothing called Thinsulate.
I would probably use a .38 snub nose, just because i want more stopping power.
I might also want some sort of torch lighter for either starting fires/stoves, and they can be used for welding some soft metals, and braising.
I would also keep 550 (parachute) cord, because you never know.
10/4 on that, thanks, adding it to the list.

What about a medical kit?
Galls has several first aid kits and accessories for every price range.
The Red Cross also sells some
Have one in the GHB, here is my GHB
Picturekevinpicture010-1.jpg

Picturekevinpicture010.jpg

I need to get a real good "Get Home Bag" put together. What is the black metallic item to the left of the flash light?
I just like it with me, seems like i am always using something in there. I been testing out the radio a lot lately, and it will be a keeper. Picks up a lot of stations and takes headphones. Runs on 2 AAA. I went through a lot of gear till i found what was good for me. Got a lot on sale. Making one for the wife now.

well, it looks as though you guys covered most stuff.
i think i saw it in there but how about fishing gear?
and a hand saw is always handy.
also some extra cloth for water filtration, as well as water purification tablets. and i would through a few mylar blankets in there for good measure, you can use them for alot of things like a tent or to insulate your whool blanket, or even an extra rain poncho.
and me personally, id through in some kind of bartering idems just in case as well.
also, and im not sure about this mind you, but i think its legal to kerp a gun in your car, as long as its not loaded and they're (the bullets and the gun) seperated between the trunk and the (locked) glove compartment.
also you can do as Jay-z states in that song:
"My glove compartments locked, so's the trunk in the back, and i know my rights, your gonna need a warrent for that!"
LOL!

I have been meaning to comment here for a week now.

Ok, Car prep ideas. Well after assessing the situation when I am not at my BOL I determined that the best thing to do was to put my BOB in my truck. That way I kill (2) birds with one stone... Besides the reality of my situation is that I am either in my truck or near it when not at my BOL.

So here we go BOV something that has a good range, able to jump curbs and can do some off road stuff without looking out of place.
Here is what I am using:
BOV01.jpg

Next, is storage, this vehicle I can throw in a bunch of stuff at any point as well as my puppies and wife, notice tarp is folded it will cover the entire truck if necessary.
BOV02.jpg

Since this vehicle came with a joke for a spare I removed it and put my BOB there + some other stuff, it is a full blown 72hr kit ++ since I live in an area where there is cold weather I have all kinds of stuff, contents include:
  • Food for 3days (for 2 adults and 2 dogs)
  • Water & water filter (for 2 adults and 2 dogs)
  • Lighters/matches/flint & steel
  • Flashlights, Many
  • Gas masks (for 2 adults)
  • Sleeping bags and blankets (for 2 adults)
  • 150' of rope
  • Multi fuel stove
  • Cold weather Gear (for 2 adults)
  • Rifle with ammo
  • Knives, Axe & Saw
  • First Aid kit
  • and much much more...
I re-pack every 6 months to update check batteries and so forth.
BOV03.jpg

I have had to use my Car prep before This was a process, I had to learn the hard way what to pack. so I am confident that I have enough to get to my BOL and worst case scenario I can throw on the pack and move.

If you're going to go with a .22, then I'd recommend that you at least go with a .22 magnum. There are a few semi-compact .22 mag autoloaders out there. With ballistic tip rounds, and proper bullet placement, you'll have much more chance of stopping your target. Kel-TecPMR-30, AMT Automag II, there's also the Grendel P-30......but you'll never find one. Great, great little pistol.

Latest posts

Back