car prep { any ideas}

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@Wammit:

does your wife have her own bug bag at home?
if not, what happens if STHF and your vehicle is with you "out n about" like at your work or something, does she have a kit to get her by untill you guys can meet up, or, God forbid, if something happened to you?

Krime that's a great question.. I have kinda a unique situation. Both my wife and I work from home and thus we only need/have 1 real vehicle. so the plan that we practice is whoever has the Jeep goes to the one that does not. Otherwise, she is sitting in the seat next to me., when we are running errands or so forth. We do have other BOBs at the house set up exactly the same, extra's just in case others in our group are able to meet up... Options, options options... Always in 3s.

I guess the most important part of this is the practice. If you practice it becomes normal... normal means calm... calm means fast... That's the goal...

Krime that's a great question.. I have kinda a unique situation. Both my wife and I work from home and thus we only need/have 1 real vehicle. so the plan that we practice is whoever has the Jeep goes to the one that does not. Otherwise, she is sitting in the seat next to me., when we are running errands or so forth. We do have other BOBs at the house set up exactly the same, extra's just in case others in our group are able to meet up... Options, options options... Always in 3s.

I guess the most important part of this is the practice. If you practice it becomes normal... normal means calm... calm means fast... That's the goal...
awesome!
calm also means youd be less likly to leave important stuff behind.
calm and rational is the best bet during an emergency situation.

LMAO, you have a few "fake" vehicles??? LOL, j/k

LOL good point Krime... "Real" = Capable or realistic

I don't think the dirtbike or 4wheeler are capable of driving to the BOL in the snow... then again maybe.. but it would be really cold and would definitely piss off the wife.

LOL good point Krime... "Real" = Capable or realistic

I don't think the dirtbike or 4wheeler are capable of driving to the BOL in the snow... then again maybe.. but it would be really cold and would definitely piss off the wife.
if you are in snow, might i suggest you keep a spare car battery, sparkplugs, and tire chains.
as your probably well aware, cold weather tends to take down battery power, always good to have a spare in emergency situations.

Yep have a booster box, its able to run the car w/o alternator all the way to the BOL, tested it already.

Chains now that's one I hadn't thought of, haven't used them since a trip to mammoth in a 2wd car... hmmm

also, since you got rid of your "spare" id pack a few cans of "fix-a-flat" as well.

also, in the snow, if you have problems with tires, you can take off your front/back bumpers and use them as sleds as well. this may also be useful to drag loads behind you while walking too.

Full size spare on the back, I took it off for the pictures.. but I do have fix a flat..

Good idea for the bumpers as sleds... or cut with saw and use para cord and wala you have snow shoes...

good constructive suggestions Krime... Never done prepping LOL

So no-one else has any vehicle prep going?

well i took a little advice from Colt with his Altoid tins.
i packed an altoid survival kit:
8 snail hooks
3 of 4 different clasp ball weights
50yrds of 16lb test fishing line.

a refuelable lighter w/an LED light on it

and a cheap swiss army knife knock off.
fits in the glove box.

i also plan to make a med kit.

I will have a multitude of vehicle prep kit options available starting nov 1 WHEN I bring up my prepper site disastereadypack.com
If u dont see what u are looking for call me or send me an email asking for it. New products and kit customization options will be added daily/weekly as we grow. Remind me your from this site and i will get u a good deal.

I will have a multitude of vehicle prep kit options available starting nov 1 WHEN I bring up my prepper site disastereadypack.com
If u dont see what u are looking for call me or send me an email asking for it. New products and kit customization options will be added daily/weekly as we grow. Remind me your from this site and i will get u a good deal.
roger that, cant wait to see your site, keep me informed

thatd be freaken awesome!
yes, keep us informed!

I look forward to the stuff you will have for cars/trucks! I am trying to figure out how to outfit my car in a functional manner.

Did u get a chance to check out the car kits? Im open to feedback on changing them....

Great suggestions so far, looks like I got some work to do on the Jeep.

What about Maps? In an emergency alternate routes might be necessary and GPS could prove unreliable or unavailable, I keep a few maps in Jeep at all times, just in case.

If you're going to go with a .22, then I'd recommend that you at least go with a .22 magnum. There are a few semi-compact .22 mag autoloaders out there. With ballistic tip rounds, and proper bullet placement, you'll have much more chance of stopping your target. Kel-TecPMR-30, AMT Automag II, there's also the Grendel P-30......but you'll never find one. Great, great little pistol.
As a woman I find that the bigger the handgun the better...as far as aim and accuracy go. I shoot like a doofus with a little handgun. Give me a big 'ol Colt and I'm dead on. More stable and doesn't try to fling outta yer hand when you fire. JMO

Here is the BOB that I have in my vehicle. I paid like 150 for it but it's pretty nice and functional.
5850.jpg

It includes:

Warmth & Shelter

• * 2 - Emergency SPACE® Brand Blankets
  • * 1 - Deluxe Heavy-Duty Tube Tent
  • * 2 - Emergency Rain/Wind Ponchos

Cooking, Heating, & Light

• * 1 - 36 hr. Emergency Candle
  • * 1 - Industrial "AA" Size Flashlight with Batteries
  • * 2 - Pair of Hand/Pocket Warmer Heat-Paks
  • * 1 - 12 hr. Instant Lightstick
  • * 1 - Box of Waterproof Matches (45 matches)

Water & Hygiene Items

• * 24 - Purified Drinking Water Pouches (4.2 ounces each)
  • * 18 - Wet-Wipe Packets
  • * 2 - Compact Sanitation/Toilet Toilet Rolls
  • * 2 Facial Tissue Paks
  • * 2 - Disposable Sanitation Bags
  • * 1 Trash Bag

First-Aid

• * 1 - 60 Item First Aid Kit w/ Instruction Book

Food Items

• * 2 - 3600 Calorie Cookie Tasting Ration Bars
  • * 1 - Bag of Survival Candy
  • * 6 - E-mer'gen-C® Energy Drink Packets

Miscellaneous

• * 1 - Premium Heavy Duty Nylon Backpack
  • * 1 - 15-Function Pocket Knife
  • * 1 - Solar Dynamo Flashlight/Radio
  • * 1 - Emergency Survival Whistle
  • * 1 - 50' Nylon Cord
  • * 1 - Pair of Leather Gloves (for digging through or clearing debris)
  • or hand warming in cold weather
  • * 1 - Writing Pad, Pencil, and Ink Pen
  • * 1 - Deck of Playing Cards (time occupier for kids & adult at shelter or
  • if stuck at work or school. Helps time pass much faster).
  • * 2 - N95 Hospital Grade Dust Masks
On a side note I took out the sorry excuse for a First Aid kit and put in my own. All together it only weighs about 18 pds.

Here is a link where you can find it.http://www.nitro-pak.com/survival-kits/earthquake-kits/72-hr-exec-backpak-kit-upgrade There are also some other great things on the site and you can even build your own survival kit if you want. I got a lot of stuff from here, especially my first aid kit. I cobbled mine together from several different things they have on the site and I'm FINALLY happy with it.

Latest posts

Back