Canvas tents

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use different tents, depends the situation. I got an Eureka Solitaire if i'm on tour with the motorbicycles because it's light and small packing. Then there is an Coleman Darwin 2 Plus, just nice size for myself and not to heavy.
But my favourite is my 80thies canvas house tent and my absolutly prefering Swiss Army Mountain Tent (made from canvas too). I don't have in any tent an such nice climate like in the canvas tents. The only problem is the weight with those tents - freaking heavy. The house tent is around 28kg, the army tent is 11kg. Nothing really to go hiking with. But especially the Army Tent wil not even move by storm - and it's an 4 season one.

I have quite a few canvas tarps, of various sizes, left over from when I had pack horses. These can easily be made in to shelters or tents in an emergency. I dont like tight places so many times I'd just lay a tarp out next to a fire and sleep out side. Even in a howling blizzard with temps way below zero. Just build up a wall of snow so the wind passes over and keep some fire wood within reach. The first time I did this I was trapping marten in the high country and my tent and sleeping bag blew away in a storm. After that I quit packing a tent, except for when I had pack horses.
Now that I'm old a good wall tent and a cot is pretty nice to have.

I have several tents. Me and the Wife went camping once and I packed the canopy instead of a tent, ooops, so we had to buy one that night or sleep in the car. Then, if my Wife see's one she likes, she has to buy it! But I do have an Old canvas tent, not even sure when or where I got it, but it reminds me of when my Dad was alive and he would take us camping or just set it up in the backyard! It IS heavy and I take and set it up once a year and just sit in it and smell it! Wife doesn't like the smell, so we never take it camping. Waterproof every 2 years or so, fold and wait until next year.

I dont like tight places so many times I'd just lay a tarp out next to a fire and sleep out side.[/QUOTE
On my trip across from CA to TX when I was 17, all I had as a sort of cover for 9 months was a piece of canvas about 6 ft long and 4 ft wide which I had sewn loops on each corner made of military belt material for tent peg loops and the bottom was stretched out flat against any possible wind and the top was only held up with a piece of wood I would find each time I even used the tarp and after crawling under the tarp, I would us a foot long peg to hold the entrance up for air. If it rained, my hair would even get wet, my backpack got wrapped in a piece of plastic to stay dry, hung up in the trees away from bears and other critters and that was it.

Latest posts

Back