Canvas tents

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oddcaliber

A True Doomsday Prepper
Reaction score
Lately I've been looking at tents for shtf shelter. Kodiak tents make a great one all be it rather pricey. I'd only need a cot and a few other furnishings to go with it. Down side is longer setup and takedown time and I'd have to find a level spot that's clear. Up side is they last a lot longer than a cheap tent and it's a 4 season tent. Any thoughts on this?

When I was working out of Houma I would park my motor home along some bayou and spend a night or two, when I wasn't offshore. I could not have done it without an air conditioner. Anyone who could sleep in a tent during the summer in Southern Louisiana has a power I do not.

I have only one canvas tent, in orange. It breathes much better than the nylon/plastic materials. You must keep another material over the tent to keep the sun off (white/sand- light colors) and reflect the heat. Under trees is not always easy and bird crap or sap from the tree is not easy to get off the tent either. Much heavier to carry, more space to pack, lasts longer, harder to damage, heavier zippers and materials are better, just the absolute need to be dried for 3-4 days and absolutely dry before packing or it will rot within a month...needs to be treated to be more waterproofed and do not touch it inside if it is already wet from rain, it'll start to drip too. If you have no waterproofing, it helps a bit to soak the tent in any type of clothes softener from the wash machine type. Let dry and re-pack. Fixing tears or holes with a sewing machine and waterproof again is easy as in replacing the zippers and tent stake loops. Seldom used but a preferred tent to bug-out with. Gary

I think, as you know, my northern friend, the savages are going to kill themselves off, a long time before they want to fight us, and winter too.

Yes, there is something to be said about the higher latitudes. When your winters average 20ft of snow, single and even negative digit temps are not uncommon, tends to keep the rif-raf out.

Majority of us up here have some kind of wood heating source.

If my Amish neighbors can survive it, so can everyone else. Just takes some getting use to.

I have been to more than a few gawd awful HOT places, courtesy of the USMC. I dont sleep so well, listening to myself sweat. Up here, I can always add another layer.

I made a tube tent for SHTF rapid deployment but it was made out of a plastic tarp. It sets up on an angle with my head at the high point so condensation is at a minimum. A plastic tent is better in the rain but they say canvas is better set up as a kind of lien-to with a fire in front of you. Canvas is less damaged by embers shooting out of an all night fire.

Latest posts

Back