Canning

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ileen

Reaction score
My husband and I was recently canning pickles and burned our lungs and air ways. Now ,I have a couple of books on how to can. Not one of them tells you to have good air circulation when cooking vinegar. Not one of them tells you not to stand over the pot. Beware ....everyone of burning your air ways with vinegar. The pickles taste really good. Well worth making because they taste better than store bought pickles.

I love canned pickles, that will probably be one of the first things we run out of lol.

I will trade 10 jars of my wifes tasteless green beans for 1 jar of pickles.
We all call them holy beans, cause she cooks the hel out of them LOL.
Nah nevermind we couldnt stay friends when I refused to trade back.

That's funny. I am just learning, and always looking for tips from others. I made some grape jelly that ended up being grape syrup. We ate it even though it wasn't right. It taste great on pancakes. Do you can or does your wife?

Well, I am not the one in the kitchen, just not safe in there for men folk, with all them women.
Sometimes there may be around 10 or more of them in there.
But I snap peas, string beans, shuck corn, etc....
When us guys aint trying to just sneak off from it for any reason we can figure.
Hey I heard somethin was that a wreck down the road, we will be right back. (worked twice)

I have done gave up Many days, plowing, planting, weeding. (not alone, we all help each other, I keep a hoe in the truck, if I aint late to be somewhere, and I pass a friend in the garden, I just fall into my row without saying a word. same as they would for me.)
The group of friends and family I run with its all just a social event, as much as anything, one get together running into another as the season moves from tomatoes to corn to pumpkin time, Fun for everyone every weekend at a minimum, lol
Then when thats done we start butchering.
We are just simple people, a gallon of peach mountain juice will bring "helpers" every weekend if you let it be known.

I aint acting like its always at my place, may be the neighbors, or my brothers, or a friends.
Many days the wife tells me we are taking 6 buckets of beens to somewhere,
And I do like I am told, LOL. Its just best to, wont be dinner at my house that day so I follow the food.
It will be found with friends.

Its just a way of life in the country.

Anyways here is a tip. When your friends are over, take the time to watch the green beans.

Nobody realy cares about Aunt berthas- cousins- stepdads-nephews- youngest baby boy that is sure to grow up to go to prison cause he is already cussing and spitting at people in church. With the 17 stories that goes with it. LOL

What a man wants is something that has the taste and texture of a green bean if it looks like one.
Whew, thanks for listening I feel so much better getting that off my chest.
My wife will never know, for all the things she does for me and the 3 boys,
we have all sworn to keep our mouths shut.

I am always long winded, but to answer your question, of all the things I do to get the food towards the jars......................
In a court of law, I would have to say NO I do no canning. ( But I could if I had too lol)

lol, I don't blame you for not saying a word about the green beans. I wouldn't ether.

I am fearful of me attempting to can food. I haven't a clue as to how to do it. I have no place to grow anything to can.
I don't know how long stuff will last once it is sealed in the mason jars.

Would any of you mond pointing my nose to a trusted canning "how to" book?

I am fearful of me attempting to can food. I haven't a clue as to how to do it. I have no place to grow anything to can.
I don't know how long stuff will last once it is sealed in the mason jars.

Would any of you mond pointing my nose to a trusted canning "how to" book?
Blue Book Guide to Preserving, is a great start. You can pick it up at any store that sells canning supplies. This book will not only tell you how to can but it also tells you how to freeze foods, how to dehydrate food, and how long your food will last. There are ways to tell if your food is still good before you even open the jar. If your recipe doesn't turn out right it has a list to show you what you did wrong.

There are many factors involved here. How they are canned ( in canning jars not cans), how fast they are cooled, how tight they are sealed, and temp they are kept at. Anyone storing in a cellar where it is cool, dark and dry can save thiers longer than those that dont. The length of storage also depends alot on the acid content of the food. We have stored potatoes, peas, green beans, carrots, etc. for 3 years or more and have eaten them, meats for same, I have found that tomatoes change consistancy and flavor after 1-1 1/2 years, whereas fruits do the same, (tomato is actually a fruit LOL) But the difference is some get better, like apple butter. The older the better. Many dont like the way old fruit discolors (gets darker) but I find generally the taste gets richer for some things. Generally speaking around my house, if the seal is good, there is no mold, odd odor, color or consistancy it gets eaten. My wife generally recycles the jars, for another round on most things every two years. Every year on some things.

There are many factors involved here. How they are canned ( in canning jars not cans), how fast they are cooled, how tight they are sealed, and temp they are kept at. Anyone storing in a cellar where it is cool, dark and dry can save thiers longer than those that dont. The length of storage also depends alot on the acid content of the food. We have stored potatoes, peas, green beans, carrots, etc. for 3 years or more and have eaten them, meats for same, I have found that tomatoes change consistancy and flavor after 1-1 1/2 years, whereas fruits do the same, (tomato is actually a fruit LOL) But the difference is some get better, like apple butter. The older the better. Many dont like the way old fruit discolors (gets darker) but I find generally the taste gets richer for some things. Generally speaking around my house, if the seal is good, there is no mold, odd odor, color or consistancy it gets eaten. My wife generally recycles the jars, for another round on most things every two years. Every year on some things.
Thank you so much for this information. I have to see if there is an are in the back of my downstairs closet that I might be able to store some.
then I have to learn how to can food. I'm staying away from the pickles though.

I recommend you just buy cans of greenbeans too, LMAO

Be careful with open windows while canning. A draft across jars just out of the canner can cause them to bust.

Clydesdale, canning is easy peasy once you've done it a time or two. Get a pressure canner and you can water bath pickles and such with it as well.

Is it cost effective to can yourself of just buy store bought cans? I mean for someone who 1. Doesnt have a pressure cooker or waterbath and 2. Hasnt started growing their own vegitables yet.

There is money involved in getting started, but depending on where you are, you may be able to pick up a canner for a song at a rummage sale or thrift store. Jars aren't cheap, but they last for years. If you decide you want to can, all you need is a pressure canner because you can use it to water bath, but you can't use a water bath kettle to pressure can with.

Honestly, it's not cheaper to begin with and if you don't grow a good sized garden you would need buy the veg to can. I can a lot of meat, for me that is cheaper than buying the Yoder's or other mail order meat products that are available. I like that I control what goes into the jars and I know what my family is eating, no chemicals added or other crap like that. I also keep a good supply of store bought veggies on hand because like this summer, our garden tanked badly due to the drought.

It's nice to just open a few jars and heat the contents and feed the family when I'm feeling like crud or busy. Homemade chicken noodle soup in less than 15 minutes ain't too shabby.

We had a local grocery store that sold canned corn and green beans for 25 cents a can last week. I bought my limit of 12. Even though I do my own garden, it's hard to pass on a deal like that

Latest posts

Back