Canning

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you for the information. I have been advised by our vet to feed RC, but we can't afford it.

My thoughts were more on what to feed if SHTF and we can't get dog food. We don't eat a lot of meat. (Or, rather, I don't eat a lot of meat and the meat my husband cooks he won't feed to the dogs!)

When I make the dogs food, I follow a recipe with meat, peas, rice, and such. You can't can that due to the rice.

Anyway, I really appreciate the insight!

Squirrel, mice, birds, etc.. Sweet potato, carrots, peas, green beans etc.. Boil it all. Save the water for them to drink.

Squirrel, mice, birds, etc.. Sweet potato, carrots, peas, green beans etc.. Boil it all. Save the water for them to drink.
I think I'm going to need a new pot for that. If I start boiling mice in our regular pots, I think my family may disown me!

Thank you for the information. I have been advised by our vet to feed RC, but we can't afford it.

My thoughts were more on what to feed if SHTF and we can't get dog food. We don't eat a lot of meat. (Or, rather, I don't eat a lot of meat and the meat my husband cooks he won't feed to the dogs!)

When I make the dogs food, I follow a recipe with meat, peas, rice, and such. You can't can that due to the rice.

Anyway, I really appreciate the insight!
Can it with just the meat, peas and whatever else and then add in the cooked rice at feeding time. Just a suggestion.

I managed to get 6 quarts of beef and 7 pints of tomatoe sauce canned this past weekend, and after work today I got 6 pints worth of chicken canned. I've got a ham I'm going to can tomorrow evening after work. This weekend I think I'm going to can up different stuff..like orange juice, oranges, maybe some other fruit...not sure yet. I'm trying to get some stuff canned through the weekdays now after work (when I'm able), in addition to canning and other storage on the weekends.

Been trying new stuff... "Re-canning" I re-canned 6 pints of tomatoe sauce (water bath) and 18 pints of orange juice today...first time I've done that, except the last 7 pints of tomatoe sauce were "recanned" last week. I got a good deal on 106 oz. Can of tamatoe sauce and some orange juice on sale...I steam canned the orange juice in pressure canner...I've got 2 more 106 oz. Cans of tomatoe sauce I'm going to break down and recan in pints. The 15 oz. Cans of tomatoe sauce (off brand), here are about $1.79/$1.89 a can...I got 6 pints out of the 106 oz. Can which was $4.99 ...i'll take it! I don't mind the work and generally won't use 106oz can at one time anyway. Praying for good tomatoes this year, but in the interim, this works for me.

That long works for me...1-2 years is what I was hoping for...we don't drink much store bought orange juice anyway..I just wanted to try out recanning it....not a priority item for me to can...likely will not can another pint of it. I WILL can some fresh oranges hopefully, but the store bought juice...I don't really care about anyway..

I did some fresh oranges, cantaloupe and honeydew in a light syrup a few years ago. Seems like the instructions were come up to 10lbs pressure and let it run a couple minutes and shut off, maybe? I had many failed jars.

If you find a better recipe let me know!!

Have not heard of doing that. Will look for how to can them as we have a vineyard. 👍
Let us know how it goes if we still have internet by then! My grapes are still babies, so I won't be doing it this year.

Another thing I learned and RC&D reminded me- mulberry trees have edible leaves that can be used like grape leaves. They don't taste as good, but they're high in calcium and iron. This website states:

"One of the most amazing characteristics that can only be found in the mulberry leaf is an ingredient known as moranoline (1-Deoxynojirimycin / 1-DNJ). This incredible compound inhibits an enzyme in the intestinal tract involved in the digestion of carbohydrates.

Moranoline or 1-DNJ holds back complex carbohydrates, starches, maltose and sucrose from breaking down into glucose. In essence, it actually prevents sugar from entering into the bloodstream. This is what makes it incredibly powerful for blood sugar."

Going to dehydrate green oinions..I am covered up in green onions right now. Also got a big pack of chicken legs n thighs on sale, so, going to can up some bone in chicken today ...I canned 22 quarts of tomatoes cple weeks ago after buying 50 lb of tomatoes..now I'm covered up in tomatoes from our garden of various sizes..guess I'll have to squeeze in time for more tomatoe sauce this week too. Happy to have it to do though.

Latest posts

Back