Canning

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just ordered a 21.5 quart All American pressure canner.
Man are those things pricey and hard to find. Went to their sight after deciding on All American and everything is out of stock.
Found one on Amazon finally but it wont be here till the 26th.
I cringed when I heard it was going to go for around $300 bucks,I cringed even harder when I found the going price is now $420 bucks.
It'll do 7 quarts or 19 pint jars.
One thing I found weird that maybe someone can answer.
The 25 quart has the same jar capacity as the 21.5 quart. Why would you buy the larger one when the capacity is the same?

1662226688091.png

Hey Tex Prep!

There is a slight difference in the two sizes you mentioned. Not enough in my estimation to order the larger one. I feel your pain on the current price. But, I also guarantee you will see it by next year as being a lifesaver!! I’ve been considering buying a few of the less expensive canners for trade in the future.

1662236271187.jpeg

921 is the one you purchased.

Hey Tex Prep!

There is a slight difference in the two sizes you mentioned. Not enough in my estimation to order the larger one. I feel your pain on the current price. But, I also guarantee you will see it by next year as being a lifesaver!! I’ve been considering buying a few of the less expensive canners for trade in the future.

View attachment 17274

921 is the one you purchased.

I really didnt see the need for the 925 either.
Something was said about it not being able to water can with it but I just dont see it.
You have more than 4 inches of room above the quart jars so I dont see why that would be an issue.
If it does turn out to be an issue I have crawfish pots that go from my large one that I can actually sit in on down to my smallest one that will hold around 30 lbs of crawfish. From what I've been able to find out the 921 is their best seller. It claims it's good for large families and it's just the Wife and I so I think we'll be fine.
While this is my first foray in canning the Wife grew up with Her parents canning so She at least has some experience.
It really doesnt look too difficult,just follow the rules and instructions.

Read, read, read before canning. It’s so not worth messing up your food or getting very sick. If you are canning hot product be sure to use hot jars. If canning cold product, use cool jars. This will keep you from breaking jars and losing your food.

The Wife still knows how it works,and I'll be sure to read up on it before canning anything.

Must be in the air today! I've been online reading about pressure Canner's trying to decide on which to buy. I was planning on posting here to ask for recommendations. I admit, I was looking at the cheaper Presto 23 gallon. Which was only $130 ish....I'm not opposed to more expensive if they are indeed worth it. I've also been watching you tube videos on and off all day on canning, but not regarding pressure canning. I do know I need a pressure canner. Help!

Must be in the air today! I've been online reading about pressure Canner's trying to decide on which to buy. I was planning on posting here to ask for recommendations. I admit, I was looking at the cheaper Presto 23 gallon. Which was only $130 ish....I'm not opposed to more expensive if they are indeed worth it. I've also been watching you tube videos on and off all day on canning, but not regarding pressure canning. I do know I need a pressure canner. Help!

One of the great things about the All American is it uses no gaskets which wear out over time.
Although from what I've read about the Presto it's a good unit. If you go that route ya might want to buy a couple extra gaskets to keep on hand.
It sure would suck to have all your jars filled only to find out the gasket failed.

I really didnt see the need for the 925 either.
Something was said about it not being able to water can with it but I just dont see it.
You have more than 4 inches of room above the quart jars so I dont see why that would be an issue.
If it does turn out to be an issue I have crawfish pots that go from my large one that I can actually sit in on down to my smallest one that will hold around 30 lbs of crawfish. From what I've been able to find out the 921 is their best seller. It claims it's good for large families and it's just the Wife and I so I think we'll be fine.
While this is my first foray in canning the Wife grew up with Her parents canning so She at least has some experience.
It really doesnt look too difficult,just follow the rules and instructions.

23 GALLON?
No idea why it said gallon. Meant 23 Quart! Sorry..🥴

We have both, the All American and a Presto Pressure Canner. Both will do the job. However, the All American is our favorite by far. The All American, by it's shear mass, is very easy to establish, and maintain, a consistent canning pressure. The Presto is more sensitive to temperature and pressure changes while canning. It is very "touchy" to get a consistent pressure on the gauge. According to the pressure gauge, small heat changes causes the pressure to vary 2-4lbs. At least that has been our experience.

Ok everyone! Thanks so much for the feedback and I've decided I'm going with same as Tex Prep. I bit the bulltet and just ordered the All American 21.5 quart pressure canner. With tax it was $449.35 (ugggh!) at Amazon. I had $64.06 I didn't know I had in amazon rewards and applied that to this purchase so I came out with paying $385.29 (Still uggh!, but I'll take it).. WIll be here 9/27/22.

Whew! Decisions, decisions. I read all the reviews, watched the video and everyone's feedback here was very helpful and ultimately the deciding factor for my choice. I am excited for it to arrive!

While I do have an All American that my kids bought for me I still have the 23 gallon Presto that I have been using for 30 years. Recently I bought 2 more Prestos one from the Goodwill for $20 and one from a yard sale for $25. I like with Presto that I can go to the small town hardware store and buy new rubber gaskets, rubber plugs and even replacement gauges for them easily. You can even take them to the local Extension office and they will check the calibration to make sure the gauges are reflecting accurate temperatures. I keep replacement parts on hand for all my Prestos.

Ok everyone! Thanks so much for the feedback and I've decided I'm going with same as Tex Prep. I bit the bulltet and just ordered the All American 21.5 quart pressure canner. With tax it was $449.35 (ugggh!) at Amazon. I had $64.06 I didn't know I had in amazon rewards and applied that to this purchase so I came out with paying $385.29 (Still uggh!, but I'll take it).. WIll be here 9/27/22.

Whew! Decisions, decisions. I read all the reviews, watched the video and everyone's feedback here was very helpful and ultimately the deciding factor for my choice. I am excited for it to arrive!

Be careful when shopping on Amazon for an All American.
All American also makes autoclaves that are used to sterilize surgical tools and the like.
They look just like a canner and many people have made the mistake of buying the wrong unit.
I blame Amazon for this,because it's not clear that it isnt meant for canning until you get to the very end of the add.
Just make sure your canner has the round weight on the right side that regulates pressure.
The autoclave doesnt have the weight.

Good point tex prep! I was lucky to catch that. When reading the reviews for the next most costly one, I saw someone wrote in it was for medical sterilization use only. I didn't see that on the one I ordered, plus the video and description said canning use...I will look for the round weight on the right side to make sure though. Thanks!

The autoclaves operate differently than pressure canners. There is an inner container where the items to be sterilized are placed and they never touch the water. And there is an air purge tube going down into the bottom of the inner chamber to purge air. If you tried to pressure can with the autoclave, this purge tube would be underwater and cause water to spurt out of the top.

You might be able to rig it up for pressure canning (the first pressure canner was an autoclave at the MIT biology department) but it's just not set up for it.

Insert-air-exhaust-tube-into-channel.jpg

Latest posts

Back