Canning

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ro-Tel Tomatoes
1 gallon ripe tomatoes, peeled and chopped2 large green bell peppers, chopped8 hot peppers, chopped3/4 cup vinegar3/4 cup granulated sugar1 1/2 tablespoons salt
Mix together and cook 45 minutes. Put into hot sterilized jars. Seal and process in hot water bath for 10 minutes.

Candied Jalapenos

Serve this over cream cheese, with cracker, add to burgers, or pimento cheese

4 lbs fresh jalapeno, sliced

2 lbs onion, diced

1/2 cup vinegar

1/2 cup water

6-8 cups sugar

2 tablespoons mustard seeds

1 teaspoon turmeric

2 teaspoons celery seeds

1 fresh garlic clove (1 per jar)

1 teaspoon ginger

Slice jalapenos into thin slices and dice onions (I would suggest a pair of rubber gloves for handling jalapenos, personal experience, do not touch your face!). Place in pan with water and vinegar, bring to a boil, reduce heat & simmer about 2 min. (do not breath fumes) . Pour off most of the water vinegar mixture, add the sugar and spices bring to soft candy temperature to completely dissolve sugar about another 10 minute Place boiling mixture into jars, leaving 1/4 in head space. Adjust caps.

Water bath 5 minutes to insure a good seal.

*note: if you like the peppers a little crisp, boil mixture and add peppers at the end.

Garlic Dill Pickles

3/4 c. salt (this is to salty for some;

may be reduced to 1/2 c.)

4-5 cups white vinegar

8 c. water

cucumbers (enough to fill 6- 1quart jars.)

18 cloves garlic, peeled

6 T. dill seed (not weed.)

Wash cucumbers, cut into spears, and pack in jars. Add 3 cloves garlic & 1 T. dill seed per jar. Place jars on baking sheet (or pan.) in oven at 250. (this keeps jars hot so they’ll seal when you add vinegar.) Boil vinegar, salt, and water, pour boiling mixture into hot jars, and immediately put hot bans & lids onto jars. (keep lids & bands hot by boiling them first.) Let cool on counter. (they should seal while cooling.) Let sit 10-12 days before using (this is the hard part! If you can’t stand it, only wait a week!)(Our favorite dill pickles!) makes 6 qts

Mayhaw Jelly

5 cup mayhaw juice

7 cups sugar

1 box pectin

Bring juice to rolling boil. Add sugar all at one time; bring back to rolling boil and boil for 4 or 5 minutes. Remove from heat and skim with metal spoon. Place in jars, skim again. Seal jars and place jars in boiling water bath for 5-10 minutes. Yields 8 or 9 - 8 oz. jars.

Jalapeno Mayhaw Jam

6 cups mayhaw pulp

8 cups sugar

1 box pectin

Jalapeno peppers

Stir fruit pectin into mayhaw pulp. Bring to a full boil over high heat, stirring constantly. Add sugar all at one time stirring constantly. Bring to a full rolling boil and boil for 1 minute. Remove from heat.

Skim off foam and ladle into hot jars containing 3 to 6 rings of sliced Jalapeno peppers, leaving 1/2 inch space at top. With damp cloth, wipe jar rims and threads clean.

Cover jars with hot lids. Screw bands on firmly. Place jars of jam in boiling water bath for 5 minutes. Remove from water bath and let cool. Store in a cool place.

"Manwich" Sauce for Canning

1 gallon peeled, cored, chopped ripe tomatoes 2 cups chopped celery 2 cups chopped onions 1 1/2 cups chopped sweet bell peppers 1 cup brown sugar 1/2 cup corn syrup 1 clove garlic, minced 1 Tbsp paprika 1 Tbsp salt 1/2 cup vinegar

Combine tomatoes and vegetables in a large kettle and cook down for about 30 minutes. Press through a food mill. Cook down until it is reduced to about half in volume. Add remaining ingredients and cook slowly until mixture is the consistency you want (about an hour). Stir more and more frequently as it thickens or it will scorch. Pour hot into hot jars. Process pints 20 minutes in a boiling water bath, quarts 35 minutes

Taco Sauce for Canning

1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste

3 cups water

2 teaspoons cayenne pepper

1 1/2 tablespoons chili powder

2 1/2 teaspoons salt

2 teaspoons cornstarch

2 teaspoons white vinegar

1 tablespoon minced dried onion

2 tablespoons canned jalapeno slices

Combine the tomato paste with the water in a large stainless or enamel saucepan over medium heat. Stir until smooth. Add the cayenne, chili powder, salt, cornstarch, and vinegar.

In a food processor puree the onion and jalapeno until smooth. Add to tomato water mixture and bring to a boil, stirring often. Once you have reached the hard boil stage cook for 3 minutes, then remove from heat. Let stand to cool.

Place in a tightly sealed container and place in the fridge.

This will keep up to 2 months.

If you wish to can this product you pour the hot liquid into clean, sterile hot half pint jars and process in a boiling water bath for 20 minutes.

I don't know that I have a favorite item to can, but if you asked my hubs, he'd tell you that I'll can anything that sits still long enough. I am sure glad you're putting recipes up. I tried to write out a few, but I just didn't like how they looked and I'm more of a hands on person.

I bought a Saucemaker Master II a couple months ago that I love. It is handcranked and when you put your fruit/veggies in, it will actually separate the peels and seed from the juice. It have made blackberry jelly and salsa with it so far.

I know my grandmothers did it open kettle style with a lot of things, but after getting food poisoning once I'm leery of waterbathing anything that's low acid. Just me though.

LOL. How long did you process the broth? I remember open kettle canning vegetables with my grandmother and she would boil the jars for hours. Man, that was a process. The guys would build a fire outside and get it going well and then the iron grate would go over the fire and the metal wash tub on that. They'd fill it with water and as soon as it started to boil, Grannie would start setting the jars in. My job was to keep feeding the fire and to fetch things for her.

As of now. I can salsa, applesause, pears, jelly and stock. I plan on seriosuly stepping it up this summer when the garden is full. I'm going to can my backyard rabbits, chicken, soups and every fruit and veg I can! Ahh, yes and some backup dog and cat food too!

The only thing we waterbath can is like figs, blackberries, tomatoes. All the rest we pressure can. I don't want to take chances. I know the pressure canner will bring my food to the high enough temp. to kill all the bacteria. It will be hard enough just making it through TSHTF without getting food poisoning. Maybe Im paraniod but I would rather do a little more work in the begining than get sick later. OH, I don't like dog or cat as food, they are to rubbery. LOL. Ohhhhhh you met food FOR the dog and cat.LOL

Why not buy one of the great canning books at places like WalMart? They have the Ball book which has all the SAFE times and pressures. There are also places online to get that information.

The only thing we waterbathe is pickles and tomatoes with acid added, as recommended for safety. Everything else goers in the pressure canner. What isn't used is tossed out after 18 months.

This is an excellent site for asking questions on safe methods of canning:

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/harvest/

As of now. I can salsa, applesause, pears, jelly and stock. I plan on seriosuly stepping it up this summer when the garden is full. I'm going to can my backyard rabbits, chicken, soups and every fruit and veg I can! Ahh, yes and some backup dog and cat food too!

Make sure you add the correct supplements to the canned cat and dog food to make it a complete and balanced diet for them. That info can be found online on the sites for making raw cat and dog foods. :)

I like to can pickles: pickled beets and dill okra is my favorite. my huasband likes sweet pickled zucchinni and squash, I do veggy tom. soup for the kids, spaghetti sauce, 100s cans green beans, greasy, half runner, roma is my favorite, lots of frozen corn, and salsa. It was nice this past year, the only veggy I bought was mostly brocoli, as we didn't grow it, and spring mix. I pressure everything except pickles-no risk. husband says I have to do the garden this year so I doubt I will get to can much :) He is the expert......

Latest posts

Back