Canning

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had enough carrots,given me.where i have enough for canning. So their in the pot cooking now.i also given some blueberries. My 3 canning books was stolen.so i have to look up canning recipe's for them on the internet. I was also given a whole chicken.more chicken soup for canning.

I had enough carrots,given me.where i have enough for canning. So their in the pot cooking now.i also given some blueberries. My 3 canning books was stolen.so i have to look up canning recipe's for them on the internet. I was also given a whole chicken.more chicken soup for canning.
Going to work up some green tomato relish.

Question for those that have made onion juice before.im sure that i got it figured right.but to make sure.i was given a bunch onions.and i to use them,to make onion juice.i know cut n peel off the outer layer. Then rinse off.this is where im not sure of.then slice into small chunks/piece's. Place into blender.and run it untill onions turned into pulp.then use cheese cloth to extract juice from pulp.and don't rub eyes during this time.lol

I’ve never even thought of it before Jim. I’ve dehydrated them for onion powder but the idea of juice never even occurred to me. I love onion flavor though and it’s in most things I cook. Let us know how it turns out.

0904181301a.jpg 0904181301b.jpg It deffently went better then i figure it would.i had 1 medium onion to begin with.then someone gave a few.in which I forgot to count,before i started.but im thinking.10 to 15 small onions..i cut up to peices.untill blender is full enough.put the lid on.and ran it untill it lookd good enough.removed the lid just to check it.looking good.added more cut up onion.put lid back on.and ran it looked good.added more onion.and repeated process.untill all of the onions were pulp n juice..dumped it into cheese cloth.twisted and squeezed it untill it stoped dripping.put pulp back into blender.ran it 10 to 20 seconds.dumped that into fresh cheese cloth.twisted n squeezed untill no more driping.
1st pic is the onion pulp thats left.
2nd pic is the 1 quart of onion juice i got from it all.

View attachment 9001 View attachment 9002 It deffently went better then i figure it would.i had 1 medium onion to begin with.then someone gave a few.in which I forgot to count,before i started.but im thinking.10 to 15 small onions..i cut up to peices.untill blender is full enough.put the lid on.and ran it untill it lookd good enough.removed the lid just to check it.looking good.added more cut up onion.put lid back on.and ran it looked good.added more onion.and repeated process.untill all of the onions were pulp n juice..dumped it into cheese cloth.twisted and squeezed it untill it stoped dripping.put pulp back into blender.ran it 10 to 20 seconds.dumped that into fresh cheese cloth.twisted n squeezed untill no more driping.
1st pic is the onion pulp thats left.
2nd pic is the 1 quart of onion juice i got from it all.
What do you do with onion juice? Is it for a poultice or something?

Last Christmas they had 5.00 a case on a stack near the registers. I added some more, but have enough to last a lifetime now. I use them daily for drinking glasses too as it fits into the country style of the place here.
My parents drank out of them all the time. I don’t can , but my husband makes his own spaghetti sauce and pizza sauce and this is what he uses to store them in.

Absolutely. As long as it is still sealed and doesn't have an off smell it is good to go. I'm still using some canned bone in chicken from 2016 with no problems. The only thing with that is if it didnt create enough of its own juices the meat that is above the broth line will discolor, but still good to eat as long as it is still sealed. I just debone and put in a small casserole when it's just hunny and i.

Absolutely. As long as it is still sealed and doesn't have an off smell it is good to go. I'm still using some canned bone in chicken from 2016 with no problems. The only thing with that is if it didnt create enough of its own juices the meat that is above the broth line will discolor, but still good to eat as long as it is still sealed. I just debone and put in a small casserole when it's just hunny and i.
I am glad you said that...I was thinking that is what I would do, but wasn’t sure if that was the best practice!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last week I mixed up a big batch of pumpkin pie filling and freeze dried it. Turned out great! I am going to take some to my sister this week. It eats like candy, but you can also powder it up in a food processor, rehydrate it, and make pies.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I saw turkey at Walmart for 30some odd cents a lb after thanksgiving. These were the unfrozen birds, and there were just a few in a case on clearance. I was going to buy some but the smell was really off, and there was a lot of blood in the bottom of the case. Decided to pass. I think that when the little voice in the back of your mind makes you uneasy about something, listen to it.

I came across a jalapeño canning recipe and it says pickle crisp.optional. but not how much.anyone know how much i need to add to each jar?

• 6 cups vinegar (5% acidity)
  • 2 cups water
  • 3 cloves garlic, crushed
  • Ball® Pickle Crisp (optional)
DIRECTIONS
  1. LEAVE peppers whole or cut into 1-inch pieces. Mix peppers together if using multiple varieties.
  2. COMBINE vinegar, water, and garlic in a large saucepot. Bring mixture to a boil; reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes. Discard garlic.
  3. PACK peppers into hot jars, leaving 1/2 inch headspace. Add Ball® Pickle Crisp to each jar, if desired.
  4. LADLE hot liquid over peppers, leaving 1/2 inch headspace. Remove air bubbles.
  5. WIPE rim and adjust two-piece caps. Process 10 minutes in a boiling-water canner.
(Note: When cutting or seeding hot peppers, wear rubber gloves to prevent hands from being burned.)

Latest posts

Back