Canning

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Speaking of a fail, I tried a couple cases of the sauerkraut done right in the jars a few weeks back. I checked on them yesterday and the cabbage looks just like it did when I put it in the jars. I haven’t opened a jar to smell or anything yet, but I think it forgot to ferment or something.... I guess I should be greatfull it’s not brown slime anyways. I did notice some of the jars sealed and some didn’t. I’ll let you know how it turned out when I’m brave enough to open one.

I've never used the jar method. I always ferment it as one large batch. One thing that often isn't mentioned is how sensitive the fermenting bacteria can be to chlorine so if you used tap water this could explain why your sauerkraut didn't work properly.
Which remind me, it's almost warm enough to get fermenting over here.:)

I've never used the jar method. I always ferment it as one large batch. One thing that often isn't mentioned is how sensitive the fermenting bacteria can be to chlorine so if you used tap water this could explain why your sauerkraut didn't work properly.
Which remind me, it's almost warm enough to get fermenting over here.:)
I use filtered water for everything now days. But I am sure temperature can be a factor too. Anyways, my experiments with jelly’s and sauerkraut have not been the best so far. Overall I’m pleased with the canning thing though. I haven’t ever gotten sick from anything at least!

IMG_20180609_131404.jpg
It's that time of year again that I need to get creative on preserving squash. So this is a mock orange marmalade made out of grated patty squash, pectin, sugar, crushed pineapple, a little ginger and orange jello.

The Squash plants I have growing in pots are just starting to get buds. I made a batch of proper Marmalade in January when the Seville Oranges were in season and froze enough fruit to make another batch, which reminds me I need to get that little job done.

The Squash plants I have growing in pots are just starting to get buds. I made a batch of proper Marmalade in January when the Seville Oranges were in season and froze enough fruit to make another batch, which reminds me I need to get that little job done.
:) I didn't get enough oranges to do much of anything last year due to Harvey. Not much of a lemon harvest either. Hoping this year will be better.

well.i cant find my canning books again..and i just had them out the other day..and to top it off.it looks like someone might be bringing me a bunch of tomatoes,for ketchup..
You can probably find some on line, but it is frustrating when you want that ONE recipe...that is missing!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just write on top of the lids with a Sharpie pen. Once I remove from the canner, let sit over night, unscrew bands and clean the jars real good along with rings. At this point you can either leave the rings off or put them back on. ( I store most without.) Make sure your lid is totally clean & dry before marking. Doing it this way will save you money not buying labels. Since you are pressure canning you do not want to save those lids anyway.
If you water bath, can you reuse the lids? I always have thrown them away if I do either pressure cook or water bath, but perhaps I shouldn’t?

If you water bath, can you reuse the lids? I always have thrown them away if I do either pressure cook or water bath, but perhaps I shouldn’t?

You use lids only once for canning then you can use for other kinds of storage in jars according to the books. I have been known to reuse lids when water bathing but you are not supposed to. If they come up without any kind of damage I will use for either water bath or pressure canning, but once I use for pressure canning would not use for canning again.

i ended up with this.when i tried to get into that site..

Type Status Report

Description The server understood the request but refuses to authorize it.

Type Status Report

Type Status Report

Ok think the link should work now. . . I forgot the 'ing' part

Regarding reusing lids, right now lids are cheap, so why risk reusing them. If shtf happens, then things would be different. I bought some tattler lids that can be used over and over but haven’t actually tried them out yet.
I have some, too. But you need to stock up on the rings tho...it is about a wash, store bunches of lids or rings + Tattler lids... I was just wondering what experiences others had, if they did reuse the water bath lids.

I have some, too. But you need to stock up on the rings tho...it is about a wash, store bunches of lids or rings + Tattler lids... I was just wondering what experiences others had, if they did reuse the water bath lids.

I did reuse a few lids in the beginning with no issues at all, but just don’t thing it’s worth the risk. You can’t taste or smell botulism.

I just went thru my pantry this last week and found a total of three jars that needed pulled from the shelves. One was a spaghetti sauce with meat that I used a brand new lid for done last year. . . I don't take chances with meat. The other two were from 2014 & 2015 one pickles and one a cantaloupe that I followed the recipe given, but since I had a problem with kids not holding on those, I process longer now and haven't had a problem since . . . I rarely loose a jar but needed to go thru since its been probably almost a year since last checking every single one and there is a lot.

I just went thru my pantry this last week and found a total of three jars that needed pulled from the shelves. One was a spaghetti sauce with meat that I used a brand new lid for done last year. . . I don't take chances with meat. The other two were from 2014 & 2015 one pickles and one a cantaloupe that I followed the recipe given, but since I had a problem with kids not holding on those, I process longer now and haven't had a problem since . . . I rarely loose a jar but needed to go thru since its been probably almost a year since last checking every single one and there is a lot.
Everything I’ve read says to look at the jars and if in doubt, throw it out. Any jar that isn’t the same color or texture as the others gets tossed.

You use lids only once for canning then you can use for other kinds of storage in jars according to the books. I have been known to reuse lids when water bathing but you are not supposed to. If they come up without any kind of damage I will use for either water bath or pressure canning, but once I use for pressure canning would not use for canning again.

I keep a few used lids mainly for using with jars that I store dry goods and home dehydrated food in. I've not had a problem with the bands, some of my jars were my mum's and are older than me and have the original bands.

I keep a few used lids mainly for using with jars that I store dry goods and home dehydrated food in. I've not had a problem with the bands, some of my jars were my mum's and are older than me and have the original bands.
I got a few white lids, food safe, that are one piece for storing open jelly or other non processed jars.

Latest posts

Back