canning supplys

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimLE

A True Doomsday Prepper
Reaction score
i've searched a for canning suppys topic n found none.so here we go,seeing how im just starting out on makeing a list of what i need

canning jars
pressure cooker/canner
cheese cloth..maybe?
hot jar handler
steamer juicer
canning labels
canning lid sterillizer rack with handle
canning scoop
canning jar funnel with handle
recipe book for canning

Not trying to be a wiseguy or smart arse but have u tried searching under Ball Canning...they have been around longer than I have and I'm not a spring chicken anymore...lol They have a very nice site with loads of info....good luck on the canning.

nope.not yet..but then again i had'nt even thought of them untill you mentioned them..i deffintly going to check them out..

I just started canning...and have only done dry canning so far. I love it and it is super easy, but cant do it will all foods- basically only dry ingredients. I have canned a lot of quick cook oatmeal and have started canning whole recipes for stuff-trying to omit only the wet ingredients. I have a recipe for Beer bread that I have canned and stored next to a few cans of beer. the beer acts as yeast (i guess) all i have to do is mix the 2 together and cook and I have pretty good size loaf of bread. I have found other recipes and if I find good ones ill try to remember to post them :)

i've searched a for canning suppys topic n found none.so here we go,seeing how im just starting out on makeing a list of what i need

canning jars
pressure cooker/canner
cheese cloth..maybe?
hot jar handler
steamer juicer
canning labels
canning scoop
recipe book for canning
You can buy stuff all over, from amazon to Walmart, but I found a water bath kit at Fred's cheaper than everywhere else. I got a pressure canner there too but haven't tried it out yet. So far I've stored pickles, zucchini,squash,green beans,tomatoes,apples and my favorite is hot pickeled okra. I'm looking forwards to trying out the pressure canner for meats before long.

Last edited:
I just started canning...and have only done dry canning so far. I love it and it is super easy, but cant do it will all foods- basically only dry ingredients. I have canned a lot of quick cook oatmeal and have started canning whole recipes for stuff-trying to omit only the wet ingredients. I have a recipe for Beer bread that I have canned and stored next to a few cans of beer. the beer acts as yeast (i guess) all i have to do is mix the 2 together and cook and I have pretty good size loaf of bread. I have found other recipes and if I find good ones ill try to remember to post them :)
I'm glad you brought up the dry canning, I almost forgot! I bought 100 oxygen absorbers on amazon and put up 100 quarts of powdered milk, sugar,flour,beans,and pasta. It was really cool to hear the lids pop just like the water bath canning. The only problem with the oxy absorbers is you need to use them all when you open the pack, so be ready with your supplies when you start.

i've heard of Fred's..but i dont think we got one around here..my mom mentioned my sister might have some extra canning stuff.so i'll talking with her,to see if she does or not..especilly seeing how that'll save me money..

canning jars
pressure cooker/canner
cheese cloth..maybe?
hot jar handler
steamer juicer
canning labels
canning scoop
recipe book for canning

I don't see a water-bath canner in your list. On average, I will put up around 400 quarts of food each year, this doesn't include jams, jellies, and pickles. The vast majority of my canning, 75% or more is done in a water-bath canner. So that would go to the top of my list. Wal-Mart sells a great granny ware water-bath canner complete with internal rack for about $40. Wal-Mart also sells the Ball Blue canning book for $7. As a self-taught canner, this book was my road map to success! The next book I would purchase would be, "Growing and Preserving Your Own Food" by Jackie Clay. Jackie is the goddess of canning and start to finish, there is no better book out there for my money. I buy a dozen of these books every year and give them away as gifts. Another couple items missing from your list are lids and rings. I started using the Tattler reusable lids last year and although they took a bit to get used to...I love that they can be reused forever!! Happy canning my friend! There is no greater satisfaction than looking at your pantry shelves, full of home-grown food that YOU preserved with your own two hands.

Blessings,
Shenandoah

I just taught a canning class tonight, we made Pear Honey and Chow-Chow, everyone got to take a pint of each home with em. I enjoy teaching folks a new skill that will help them become more independent and self-sufficient. If anyone is interested, we could pick a recipe a week here and can it....let me know

Blessings,
Shenandoah

I don't see a water-bath canner in your list. On average, I will put up around 400 quarts of food each year, this doesn't include jams, jellies, and pickles. The vast majority of my canning, 75% or more is done in a water-bath canner. So that would go to the top of my list. Wal-Mart sells a great granny ware water-bath canner complete with internal rack for about $40. Wal-Mart also sells the Ball Blue canning book for $7. As a self-taught canner, this book was my road map to success! The next book I would purchase would be, "Growing and Preserving Your Own Food" by Jackie Clay. Jackie is the goddess of canning and start to finish, there is no better book out there for my money. I buy a dozen of these books every year and give them away as gifts. Another couple items missing from your list are lids and rings. I started using the Tattler reusable lids last year and although they took a bit to get used to...I love that they can be reused forever!! Happy canning my friend! There is no greater satisfaction than looking at your pantry shelves, full of home-grown food that YOU preserved with your own two hands.

Blessings,
Shenandoah
I've never heard of reusable lids, where did you get them? I know you can use a wax to renew lids but have not tried that. Right now lids may be cheap, but one day we may have to get used to working with what we have

i just got lids and rings.right along with pickleing and canning salt,bread and butter pickle mix and a ball collapsible funnel..saw some jars for jams n jellys...didnt get any of them.gonna wait till i go to wal mart for canning jars..a water-bath canner is a good idea..

Around here Freds dollar store got Ball jars cheeper than Walmart, they also have another brand of jar cheeper than the Ball jars, but I just buy the Ball they seem to seal better.
The cheaper brand is golden harvest, I haven't noticed a difference in quality and the lids are interchangeable. I have lots of both and am generally loyal to whichever is on sale!

Blessings,
Shenandoah
When it all goes south, hows bout you come stay with me!!!!

I've never heard of reusable lids, where did you get them? I know you can use a wax to renew lids but have not tried that. Right now lids may be cheap, but one day we may have to get used to working with what we have

The name of the lids are "Tattler Lids." They are made right here in the USA as well, actually Fruita, Colorado. You can do a web search and buy them directly from the company or places like Lehman's Hardware in Kidron, OH (they cater to the Amish and off-grid living) carry them in their on-line catalog.

Blessings,
Shenandoah

When it all goes south, hows bout you come stay with me!!!!

I can't give you any advice when it comes to buying jars retail...I have never bought a new one in my life!! All of mine have come from yard sales...never paid more than $2 for a box of jars and the vast majority of they time, folks give them to me to tote them off! Yes, it is a tad more work to clean up those "barn fresh" jars but, well worth the savings. We do not have a dishwasher so the following is my process for assuring they are sanitized and safe: First, I wash the jars, then I fill them with a bleach water solution. They sit with this solution for at least an hour and then I wash em in new dish water again. Voila! Clean, safe and cheap jars.

Blessings,
Shenandoah

I'm glad you brought up the dry canning, I almost forgot! I bought 100 oxygen absorbers on amazon and put up 100 quarts of powdered milk, sugar,flour,beans,and pasta. It was really cool to hear the lids pop just like the water bath canning. The only problem with the oxy absorbers is you need to use them all when you open the pack, so be ready with your supplies when you start.

i hear that sugar becomes hard as a brick when it comes to the oxygen absorbers..have you had that problem?and if so,what do you do when it comes to that?

It does become rock hard and in clumps....i dont think sugar needs to be stored with oxygen absorbers....from what I have researched it wont spoil unless there is something in it contaminating the sugar.

the only reason i see useing them with sugar.is to kill off any insects larvy/eggs that might be in it.and to keep them out of it at the same time..which is a good idea to me..that way i know its good to go when needed..

Latest posts

Back