Canning Squash for Frying Later

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Danil54grl

Top Poster
Reaction score
IMG_20180725_103659_hdr.jpg
This is patty squash that I canned up a couple weeks ago to dry later and today was that day. I wanted to make sure I actually liked this before I did too many jars.

***DISCLAIMER This is NOT APPROVED by the FDA so you have been warned!

My review of it is that it will be a keeper. Once I opened my jar I let it drain in a colander while I made up my breading which I like 2 to 1 of cornmeal to flour then add in seasonings. This morning was Tony's Chachere's Creole Seasoning. In my opinion the coating stayed on very well and fried up to a nice crunch. Is it as good as fresh, well no, but it is very good and will be nice to have in storage when they are not growing out in the garden. You can taste a very slight apple cider vinegar taste.

This is the link I got the recipe from. Worth the watch. He also has one showing how to do okra for frying later. I have done both with very good results.

4 T vinegar or Apple cider vinegar, as long as it is 5%
3/4 T salt, canning or uniodized
3 1/2 cups water

Sanitize your jars and put lids on simmer and keep jars hot (important). Bring vinegar, salt and water to a full boil while you are prepping you squash. Cut squash in half and spoon out seeds. Cut the squash into pieces that will fit into an eating soon. I cut mine about 1 in x 2 in. Once you are boiling add in your squash, bring back to boil & boil for 8 minutes. Fill your jar to an inch. You can tap it down but do not over pack. Pour liquid over with a 1/4 in headspace, wipe your edges & place lid and ring on. Firmly tighten. Do one jar at a time! Since there is no processing time after filling, it is very important that everything is very hot to form a good seal.

Latest posts

Back