Canned Banana Nut Bread Recipe

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

QuietH3art

Reaction score
This says it's only good on the shelf for 2 months. I may have to test that. There are so many different flavors of quick breads and with wide mouth quart jars, I imagine you could do yeast breads, too.

BANANA BREAD FROM A JAR

If you put a canning lid on them when they first come out of the oven, they seal, and they will stay good for about two months. Make for a great Christmas gift. You can do it with any moist bread or cake....pumpkin bread, carrot cake, and applesauce cake!

(Makes one dozen 250 ml jars)

Ingredients:
2/3 cup shortening
2 2/3 cups white sugar
4 eggs
2 cups mashed bananas
2/3 cup water
3 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground cloves (I used half a teaspoon because I didn’t want mine too ‘clovey’.)
2/3 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
You will also need:

12 250 ml canning jars
funnel
If you are planning on storing these for a while, you will need to sterilize your jars.

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Grease insides of a dozen 250ml canning jars. (I wiped mine down with vegetable oil.)

In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Mash bananas--Beat in eggs, bananas, and water.
Sift together flour, baking powder, soda, salt, cinnamon, and cloves. Add to banana mixture. Add nuts and stir them in with spoon. Insert canning funnel into mouth of jar and pour mixture into greased jars, filling half full. Place jars directly on rack in oven.

Do NOT put lids on jars for baking. Be careful to keep the rims clean, wiping off any batter that gets on the rims. Bake for 45 minutes. Don’t worry if a few rise over the top of the jar a bit like this one. You can press it down with the lid.
While jars are still warm, add lids.

Screw on tightly. If you sterilized your jars (as I mentioned, I didn’t because I didn’t plan on storing mine), listen for the ping once you have added the lids; this means that the jar is sealed. If you miss the “ping”, wait until they are completely
cool and press on the top of the lid. If it doesn’t move at all, it’s sealed.

jarbread.jpg

I have seen this process before and have been wanting to try it out. Holiday season is coming soon! Thanks for the reminder

I made it and it's really good. But, it makes about 16 jars instead of 12. I put the extra in a loaf pan and that had to cook about 20 minutes longer than the jars. This is a really "wet" recipe. I think the next time I make it I will add a half cup more flour to the recipe and halve the cloves or even leave them out. Barring that it tasted just a bit too "clovey" this is the best banana nut bread recipe I've ever made.

I made it and it's really good. But, it makes about 16 jars instead of 12. I put the extra in a loaf pan and that had to cook about 20 minutes longer than the jars. This is a really "wet" recipe. I think the next time I make it I will add a half cup more flour to the recipe and halve the cloves or even leave them out. Barring that it tasted just a bit too "clovey" this is the best banana nut bread recipe I've ever made.

Thanks for that post, how great would it be to pull a loaf of banana bread off the shelve during a storm or if you had to hunker down for a week or two. That's awesome........

Thinking I could just use my own recipe but stay with the technique . . . I don't like cloves in my banana bread either.

we did spice cake like this when I was growing up, and our recipe back then said 6 months, but my step dad would have it eaten way before that! It was soooo good!

Latest posts

Back