Canary in the coalmine: Pensions

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TexasFreedom

A True Doomsday Prepper
Reaction score
Ouch. Read this article, the whole thing:
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/slashed-pensions-another-blow-for-heartland-workers/

One ironworker started at 19 years old, worked 36 years getting $3600/mo in pension. That fund like many is collapsing, his just got cut to $1600/mo. That is a 56% pension cut. Another guy went from $2500 to $930/mo, a 63% pay cut. How do you live on $930/mo? And that assumes insurance is covered... $300 food, $300 utilities/phone, $300 incidentals (gas, car insurance, toilet paper...). Nothing left for rent or property taxes or replacement car / etc. $2500 is very possible, but $930?

I've never been a fan of pension plans, it puts your golden egg of retirement in the hands of someone else. I'd rather create my own savings and take care of myself. If I mess up, that's my problem. And note one word used over and over in the article is "unions".

It ends with more bad news:
In the meantime, several states' public pension funds are running dry, including Illinois, New Jersey and Connecticut. "This is going to hit everyone," predicted Overstreet, "public employees, too."

Ouch. Read this article, the whole thing:
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/slashed-pensions-another-blow-for-heartland-workers/

One ironworker started at 19 years old, worked 36 years getting $3600/mo in pension. That fund like many is collapsing, his just got cut to $1600/mo. That is a 56% pension cut. Another guy went from $2500 to $930/mo, a 63% pay cut. How do you live on $930/mo? And that assumes insurance is covered... $300 food, $300 utilities/phone, $300 incidentals (gas, car insurance, toilet paper...). Nothing left for rent or property taxes or replacement car / etc. $2500 is very possible, but $930?

I've never been a fan of pension plans, it puts your golden egg of retirement in the hands of someone else. I'd rather create my own savings and take care of myself. If I mess up, that's my problem. And note one word used over and over in the article is "unions".

It ends with more bad news:
In the meantime, several states' public pension funds are running dry, including Illinois, New Jersey and Connecticut. "This is going to hit everyone," predicted Overstreet, "public employees, too."
Interesting article. I personally have always felt that it's a mistake to depend on any type of pension for your retirement. Too many things can go wrong over a period of 20-40 years. Due to the nature of my past career I've had several company paid pensions. Whenever I'd leave a company I'd take my pension in a lump sum payout and invest it myself. Never lost a penny. I guess I just don't trust a company, and certainly not the government, to handle my future.

Latest posts

Back