Can you make bread from Durum Wheat Kernels?

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought a specific bread mix flour.
I sealed in the food saver. Then froze the bags for a while.
My plans are to use the bread maker while the gen is running and my wood stick smoker in cast iron after.
I experiment with both methods and different recipes to become familiar with the processes
It’s not just doing it, it’s knowing how to do it. it also rotates product as you learn.

Yes, I have been experimenting with actually making the bread recently in a solar oven.

Has been fun learning. I use vinegar and baking soda to make the bread rise as yeast only stores for about 1-2 years.

Experimented with store bought flour first and then ground some of my own. Used the whole kernel.

Using the whole kernel uses so much more water! I thought it would be the opposite, so once again adjusted my recipe.

It's two factors that are my main concern. Storage and how well you can make bread with the wheat.
If making bread is not a problem then I suppose soft wheat would be the way to go.

Ok, so here's a question - under ideal conditions, how long will soft and durum wheat store?

Decades. I have never reached the point where properly stored berries have gone rancid.

That being said, I have never reached the point where my flour has gone rancid that I can tell, either.

Nuts, seeds, etc., I have, so I don't think my rancid meter is broken. 🙂

Latest posts

Back