Can anyone recommend a good Med Kit?

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One of my son's played elite levels of Ice Hockey and had more than one split stitched during a game. Got off the ice, got stitched right there in the box and right back out two shifts later. He didn't even feel it. Just get to it within the first 15 minutes or so.

One of my son's played elite levels of Ice Hockey and had more than one split stitched during a game. Got off the ice, got stitched right there in the box and right back out two shifts later. He didn't even feel it. Just get to it within the first 15 minutes or so.

Yep..
My Dad did the same as far as stitching up players of all sports.
When he was the trainer at WSU he was the trainer for all sports.
It always amazed me at what the players could withstand when it came to getting sewed up.
My dad ended up being the head of the NBA trainers association so I got to see a lot of nasty wounds sewed up.
He made the mask Rudy Tomjanovich wore after "the punch".
He's mentioned in the book about the incidence.

Please expound on this statement.

When things go south...and I am talking way south....but not quite TEOTWAWKI, resources will become limited because supply chains may not function. Even if medical care is available, who qualifies to receive it will change. The very old and the very young and those with chronic illnesses are traditionally seen as less likely to survive a serious injury or illness.

In case people might not know what Triage is....you choose to treat those who are most likely to survive and let those who are not, perish or hopefully wait for treatment until after those most likely to survive have been treated.

Rather than expending time and supplies on those who have a very low possibility of survival you expend it on those who stand a better chance. It is ugly and tough but, a reality. It can trickle down to a less serious situation.

In a situation where, let's say, there are only so many rations of anti-biotics, with resupply nowhere on the horizon who do you give them to?

Do you give them to the 70 year old chronic 2 pack a day smoker who has developed double pneumonia and probably is developing lung cancer or to the otherwise healthy, 20 something gunshot victim?

Or if there are only so many surgeons who came in because there are riots in their neighborhoods and they needed to stay home to take care of their families...Does the stage 3 cancer victim get their surgery or put on the back burner to care for more immediate issues?

We saw this to a small extent during COVID.

The Triage bar will necessarily be lowered.

The concepts of triage will change drastically WTSHTF.

I can tell you what I have in my med kit...a lot of it is for animals and is a mix of natural things and more modern medical things.

I have three sets. One is for "the road" and one is for at home, one at the BOL. The Road bag, has different contents than the other two. The Road kit is the only one that fits into a back pack and is only good for minor things.

Jerusalem bandages (money saving tip: horse bandages work just as well and are cheaper)
Chest vents
Scalpels
Fish Antibiotics
Lidocaine
Steroids
Gauze pads and wraps
Colloidal silver
Suture kit
Syringes (various sizes)
Various gauges of needles
Emergency Defibrillator
Stethoscope
Blood pressure cuff
Blood O2 saturation monitor
Albuterol
Zip stitch laceration kit
Iodine
Gloves
Hand Sanitizer
Rubbing Alcohol
Tripple Antibiotic cream
Chemical Ice packs
Chemical Heat packs
Anti-diarrheal meds
Tums (calcium carbonate effective mitigation against certain kinds of radiation)
Enemas
Drawing pastes
Yeast infection treatments (not just for women BTW/diaper rash, jock itch, sweat rash and some foot issues)
Blister treatments
Liquid Stitch
Band-aids and butterfly closures
Pain meds, mucus relief, cough meds and other over the counter "normal" stuff
Anti-oxidants (DIM, selenium, COQ10, etc...radiation mitigation again)
Topical meds for eye infections
Thermometers (NOT digital)
IV supplies
Sterile Saline
Braces for ankles, wrists and knees
Sling
Casting materials
Microscopes and slides
Blood typing supplies
Clotting powders
Peroxide
Finger leg and arm splints
Tooth numbing liquids and natural things
Temporary crown materials

I am sure I forgot some things...
Right on, well done.

Not sure if this site's been mentioned here or not (lots of replies), but we've found some good stuff here. The wife and I joined a local CERT recently and they actually gave us a fair med kit, but it needs some additions, easily. It's about one step up from a boo-boo kit.

But I gotta say this; whatever you buy, know how to use it. All of it. Med kits are like bug-out bags; they're not a set-and-forget type of situation. Train with the gear and train often. It's expensive to do, maybe. We're always spending a chunk and tearing into it and seeing what's in there or running practice drills and all that, but it's all worth it. Ya'll stay safe out there.

My Mother was a Paramedic and I heard the same calls come over the scanner.
That of course does nothing for my current situation since she passed away last year after battling dementia and alzheimer's.
There aren't to many people who have the luxury of having trained medical personnel as friends or family.

Agree. While we have a couple doctors and EMTs in the family, their location means I won’t be counting on them to be here when things fall apart.

I already know I'll need to ad some tampons of both types to use as packing for heavily bleeding wounds ot deep punctures.

Please Do Not add tampons to your medical kit. For some reason this idea keeps getting passed down. Tampons should never be placed in a medical kit. #1 they are Not sterile and pieces of it can come off of it and into the wound. #2 they are expensive. Leave tampons to the women for what they are intended for.

Go to Dollar Tree. Spend $1.25 and buy some medical rolled gauze that can be used to pack a wound to stop bleeding.

Please Do Not add tampons to your medical kit. For some reason this idea keeps getting passed down. Tampons should never be placed in a medical kit. #1 they are Not sterile and pieces of it can come off of it and into the wound. #2 they are expensive. Leave tampons to the women for what they are intended for.

Go to Dollar Tree. Spend $1.25 and buy some medical rolled gauze that can be used to pack a wound to stop bleeding.
Thank you. This entire thread is total cringe.

When things go south...and I am talking way south....but not quite TEOTWAWKI, resources will become limited because supply chains may not function. Even if medical care is available, who qualifies to receive it will change. The very old and the very young and those with chronic illnesses are traditionally seen as less likely to survive a serious injury or illness.

In case people might not know what Triage is....you choose to treat those who are most likely to survive and let those who are not, perish or hopefully wait for treatment until after those most likely to survive have been treated.

Rather than expending time and supplies on those who have a very low possibility of survival you expend it on those who stand a better chance. It is ugly and tough but, a reality. It can trickle down to a less serious situation.

In a situation where, let's say, there are only so many rations of anti-biotics, with resupply nowhere on the horizon who do you give them to?

Do you give them to the 70 year old chronic 2 pack a day smoker who has developed double pneumonia and probably is developing lung cancer or to the otherwise healthy, 20 something gunshot victim?

Or if there are only so many surgeons who came in because there are riots in their neighborhoods and they needed to stay home to take care of their families...Does the stage 3 cancer victim get their surgery or put on the back burner to care for more immediate issues?

We saw this to a small extent during COVID.

The Triage bar will necessarily be lowered.
OH, so like nationalized health care. I got the answer I expected, thank you. What you are describing is selective care, not "Triage".

Something I would like to comment on. On this forum and others there are comments that you should not buy or possess medical equipment that you do not know how to use.

It's not their money. If you come across a possible and have the money for it then buy it. Just do not use it until you learn how to use it. You never know if you will come across a medical professional that can use it or teach you during SHTF.

OH, so like nationalized health care. I got the answer I expected, thank you. What you are describing is selective care, not "Triage".

Actually, I described BOTH.

1,2,3...i get it.

Last edited:

Interesting,I'll do some reading for sure.
But when you consider women are using them in their bodies and outside the body you'd think they'd be pretty safe.

Latest posts

Back