Can anyone recommend a good Med Kit?

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Assuming one was available yeah.
In a true SHTF situation they're gonna die.
Like I understand how to remove an appendix I sure as hell wouldnt want to try it.
if it was a matter of life and death, pushed, I trust my wife to do it.
Would you trust a Vet or someone off the street? Given a choice between a vet, a nurse or an army medic, I would go Vet, Medic, nurse.

Dracos nailed it - having a family member with medical skills would be best! I've always advocated that we're better together than apart.
Consider finding like-minded people who have skills
and maybe make some plans together. If it doesn't work out, you'll still have learned a lot from each other.

if it was a matter of life and death, pushed, I trust my wife to do it.
Would you trust a Vet or someone off the street? Given a choice between a vet, a nurse or an army medic, I would go Vet, Medic, nurse.

Again,thats assuming you have one available.
But yeah I'd trust anyone them over my skill set.

Dracos nailed it - having a family member with medical skills would be best! I've always advocated that we're better together than apart.
Consider finding like-minded people who have skills
and maybe make some plans together. If it doesn't work out, you'll still have learned a lot from each other.

If my Father was still alive that'd be great....since he died when I was 16 that leaves basically myself and I.
While it'd be nice to have a Doc or even a nurse or vet it's not in the cards at the moment.

Again,thats assuming you have one available.
But yeah I'd trust anyone them over my skill set.
Dude I have heard the phone ring @2am. Hear “ditt dit dittt, ditt dit ditt on the other end. She goes into mode, says the treatment and meds, and med rate before I even drift back to sleep.
Of course, she is now too awake to go back to sleep.
I will equate an EMT to a Army medic in my previous example.

While I know how to patch a sucking chest wound I have no idea where I'd go from there.

The concepts of triage will change drastically WTSHTF.

I can tell you what I have in my med kit...a lot of it is for animals and is a mix of natural things and more modern medical things.

I have three sets. One is for "the road" and one is for at home, one at the BOL. The Road bag, has different contents than the other two. The Road kit is the only one that fits into a back pack and is only good for minor things.

Jerusalem bandages (money saving tip: horse bandages work just as well and are cheaper)
Chest vents
Scalpels
Fish Antibiotics
Lidocaine
Steroids
Gauze pads and wraps
Colloidal silver
Suture kit
Syringes (various sizes)
Various gauges of needles
Emergency Defibrillator
Stethoscope
Blood pressure cuff
Blood O2 saturation monitor
Albuterol
Zip stitch laceration kit
Iodine
Gloves
Hand Sanitizer
Rubbing Alcohol
Tripple Antibiotic cream
Chemical Ice packs
Chemical Heat packs
Anti-diarrheal meds
Tums (calcium carbonate effective mitigation against certain kinds of radiation)
Enemas
Drawing pastes
Yeast infection treatments (not just for women BTW/diaper rash, jock itch, sweat rash and some foot issues)
Blister treatments
Liquid Stitch
Band-aids and butterfly closures
Pain meds, mucus relief, cough meds and other over the counter "normal" stuff
Anti-oxidants (DIM, selenium, COQ10, etc...radiation mitigation again)
Topical meds for eye infections
Thermometers (NOT digital)
IV supplies
Sterile Saline
Braces for ankles, wrists and knees
Sling
Casting materials
Microscopes and slides
Blood typing supplies
Clotting powders
Peroxide
Finger leg and arm splints
Tooth numbing liquids and natural things
Temporary crown materials

I am sure I forgot some things...

Last edited:
Dude I have heard the phone ring @2am. Hear “ditt dit dittt, ditt dit ditt on the other end. She goes into mode, says the treatment and meds, and med rate before I even drift back to sleep.
Of course, she is now too awake to go back to sleep.
I will equate an EMT to a Army medic in my previous example.

My Mother was a Paramedic and I heard the same calls come over the scanner.
That of course does nothing for my current situation since she passed away last year after battling dementia and alzheimer's.
There aren't to many people who have the luxury of having trained medical personnel as friends or family.

The concepts of triage will change drastically WTSHTF.

I can tell you what I have in my med kit...a lot of it is for animals and is a mix of natural things and more modern medical things.

I have three sets. One is for "the road" and one is for at home, one at the BOL. The Road bag, has different contents than the other two. The Road kit is the only one that fits into a back pack and is only good for minor things.

Jerusalem bandages (money saving tip: horse bandages work just as well and are cheaper)
Chest vents
Scalpels
Fish Antibiotics
Lidocaine
Steroids
Gauze pads and wraps
Colloidal silver
Suture kit
Syringes (various sizes)
Various gauges of needles
Emergency Defibrillator
Stethoscope
Blood pressure cuff
Blood O2 saturation monitor
Albuterol
Zip stitch laceration kit
Iodine
Gloves
Hand Sanitizer
Rubbing Alcohol
Tripple Antibiotic cream
Chemical Ice packs
Chemical Heat packs
Anti-diarrheal meds
Tums (calcium carbonate effective mitigation against certain kinds of radiation)
Enemas
Drawing pastes
Yeast infection treatments (not just for women BTW/diaper rash, jock itch, sweat rash and some foot issues)
Blister treatments
Liquid Stitch
Band-aids and butterfly closures
Pain meds, mucus relief, cough meds and other over the counter "normal" stuff
Anti-oxidants (DIM, selenium, COQ10, etc...radiation mitigation again)
Topical meds for eye infections
Thermometers (NOT digital)
IV supplies
Sterile Saline
Braces for ankles, wrists and knees
Sling
Casting materials
Microscopes and slides
Blood typing supplies
Clotting powders
Peroxide
Finger leg and arm splints
Tooth numbing liquids and natural things
Temporary crown materials

I am sure I forgot some things...

I have most of the stuff you've listed but....
Where'd you get your lidocain?
I'm looking for some right now.

@TexPrep I hope you are happy with your kit. I hope you know how to use your kit. Otherwise it’s a useless 25lbs.

You sound bitter,not sure why but okay.
I'll do what I feel I can do,if you have a better suggestion I'd be glad to hear it.
I guess you can do heart surgery or an organ transplant, but unfortunately I'm not at that level.
Good luck on your future endeavors and may you heal all trauma you come across.

You sound bitter,not sure why but okay.
I'll do what I feel I can do,if you have a better suggestion I'd be glad to hear it.
I guess you can do heart surgery or an organ transplant, but unfortunately I'm not at that level.
Good luck on your future endeavors and may you heal all trauma you come across.
Bitter no. You want that kit to do everything for you. Even trying to get Lidocane illegally. You are in Texas, get Everclear.
I am sorry I tried to point out the limitations in your plan.
Be well with your plan. I hope it suits you well.

I have most of the stuff you've listed but....
Where'd you get your lidocain?
I'm looking for some right now.

Some countries do not have the regulations on some things that we do here.

Topical, you can get on Amazon

Bitter no. You want that kit to do everything for you. Even trying to get Lidocane illegally. You are in Texas, get Everclear.
I am sorry I tried to point out the limitations in your plan.
Be well with your plan. I hope it suits you well.

Who said I wanted my kit to do everything?
I flat out said I knew it couldnt and I'd have to ad my own pieces to cover the shortcomings.
And where did I say I wanted to get lidocaine illegally? Thats in your mind not mine.
And feel free to point out the shortcomings in my plan,but you sure as hell havent done that at this point.

Some countries do not have the regulations on some things that we do here.

Topical, you can get on Amazon

Even Lidocaine?
I was going to hit up my GP and my pain doc.
If that failed I was going to ask them if there was an alternative.

A topical is not really what I need. It needs to be injectable in order to use it as a pain reliever for sutures.

I would go that route first for sure and see what they say but, they could be risking losing their license. And yes, even lidocaine.

As for alternatives, if you stitch right after a wound, the skin is usually naturally numb.

I am done with this.
You posted a thread about Lidocain and said you were going to get your GP to script it. Same if I was to go to my GP for Oxi. Had enough problems getting a script filled for Tylenol 3. (Which are overcounter in Canada).

No...I said I was going to ask my GP if I could get it legally.
Same goes with my pain doc who prescribed me morphine.
If thats not possible I'd ask them for an alternative.

I would go that route first for sure and see what they say but, they could be risking losing their license. And yes, even lidocaine.

As for alternatives, if you stitch right after a wound, the skin is usually naturally numb.

Exactly right.
I'm going to ask. If they cant do it I understand.
Maybe they can offer an alternative.
Hell, if you have access to Ice you can numb the area but I figure Ice is going to be hard to come by.

Latest posts

Back