Camping trailers ( caravans in English)

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well if its a modern design if TSHTF it should scram itself and remain idle and safe.......................... hopefully.
I wonder about the plants in a prolonged power loss. Kind of ironic to think about power loss when the things can produce loads of it. I've never heard of a safety where it can idle itself. I thought the fuel had to have cooling water pumped over it for years. If they have a fail safe I would feel better about them.

Not 100% sure but I was led to believe that when a plant is scrammed long carbon rods are driven into the reactor killing the reaction completely then it takes a couple of years to cool right down.

Its difficult even in the IS to dodge every possible hazard, but with reactors I would definitely avoid living down wind of it, and I would keep NBC gear and Pot Io tabs.

Last edited:
Not 100% sure but I was led to believe that when a plant is scrammed long carbon rods are driver into the reactor killing the reaction completely then it takes a couple of years to cool right down.

Its diificult even in the IS to dodge every possible hazard, but with reactors I would definately avoid living down wind of it, and I would keep NBC gear and Pot Io tabs.
I hope your right. I kind of have a feeling that in a complete shtf very few plant workers would show up for work.

I hope your right. I kind of have a feeling that in a complete shtf very few plant workers would show up for work.

Ouch, you have a few that's in and surrounds your state :(

Clipboard01.jpg

Just to name a few, that's a lot of workers that may not show up in a SHTF situation :(

Joseph M. Farley Nuclear Plant, Unit 1Region II
OPERATING REACTOROperator: Southern Nuclear Operating Co., Inc.Model: Westinghouse Three-LoopPower Output: 851 MWe

Joseph M. Farley Nuclear Plant, Unit 2Region II
OPERATING REACTOROperator: Southern Nuclear Operating Co., Inc.Model: Westinghouse Three-LoopPower Output: 851 MWe

Edwin I. Hatch Nuclear Plant, Unit 1Region II
OPERATING REACTOROperator: Southern Nuclear Operating Co., Inc.Model: General Electric Type 4Power Output: 876 MWe

Edwin I. Hatch Nuclear Plant, Unit 2Region II
OPERATING REACTOROperator: Southern Nuclear Operating Co., Inc.Model: General Electric Type 4Power Output: 883 MWe

Vogtle Electric Generating Plant, Unit 2Region II
OPERATING REACTOROperator: Southern Nuclear Operating Co., Inc.Model: Westinghouse Four-LoopPower Output: 1127 MWe

Sequoyah Nuclear Plant, Unit 1Region II
OPERATING REACTOROperator: Tennessee Valley AuthorityModel: Westinghouse Four-LoopPower Output: 1148 MWe

Ouch, you have a few that's in and surrounds your state :(

View attachment 6063

Just to name a few, that's a lot of workers that may not show up in a SHTF situation :(

Joseph M. Farley Nuclear Plant, Unit 1Region II

Joseph M. Farley Nuclear Plant, Unit 2Region II

Edwin I. Hatch Nuclear Plant, Unit 1Region II
OPERATING REACTOROperator: Southern Nuclear Operating Co., Inc.Model: General Electric Type 4Power Output: 876 MWe

Edwin I. Hatch Nuclear Plant, Unit 2Region II
OPERATING REACTOROperator: Southern Nuclear Operating Co., Inc.Model: General Electric Type 4Power Output: 883 MWe

Vogtle Electric Generating Plant, Unit 2Region II
OPERATING REACTOROperator: Southern Nuclear Operating Co., Inc.Model: Westinghouse Four-LoopPower Output: 1127 MWe

Sequoyah Nuclear Plant, Unit 1Region II
OPERATING REACTOROperator: Tennessee Valley AuthorityModel: Westinghouse Four-LoopPower Output: 1148 MWe

Darn things are everywhere! Lucky me, the largest one is the closest to me....

On the upside, I read an article where they are selling a plant in Alabama or Mississippi. They never got it on line. Some moron started building it in an area where there just wasn't enough demand for that much electricity. So after all that money wasted, they decided to auction it off to the highest bidder.

Have you noticed that Nuclear plants, Solar Farms, Wind Farms and any other unpleasant infrastructure projects are never built where the rich and powerful live?
Of course. They don't want to those eyesores. I think all solar farms, wind farms and power plants should be built in the city's where the power is consumed.

Also out at sea is a great idea. There was a system developed here that was shut down by the government, but it is a series of buoys that are tethered together. As the waves move the buoys up and down as the ocean does, it generates power. No fuss at all. The ocean for the most part is always moving so it was always generating power. Since our power is privatized, they forced the gov to shut it down. But the system is still ready for worst case scenarios.

Also out at sea is a great idea. There was a system developed here that was shut down by the government, but it is a series of buoys that are tethered together. As the waves move the buoys up and down as the ocean does, it generates power. No fuss at all. The ocean for the most part is always moving so it was always generating power. Since our power is privatized, they forced the gov to shut it down. But the system is still ready for worst case scenarios.
There are lots of ways to generate power with the ocean tides. It can be pricey as the maintenance with the salt corrosion is steep, but at least it's clean energy. We need to get away from fossil fuels, period.

Of course. They don't want to those eyesores. I think all solar farms, wind farms and power plants should be built in the city's where the power is consumed.

Ya, don't get me started on wind farms, it's all a feel good ploy that only benefits the money makers!

"Over the last several years in the Pacific Northwest, we have spent about $5 billion and impacted over 50,000 acres of pristine public land for the privilege of throwing away 9 billion kWhrs of carbon-free energy every year (NREL). Just so we can meet an arbitrary state mandate, claim we’re green, and make a few folks lots of money in tax credits, the cost of which gets passed onto the rate-payers and tax-payers.

So why is there such a drive to install wind capacity in an area that doesn’t need it?

Surprise! It’s all about the money."

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jamesco...no-use-in-the-pacific-northwest/#6e9eed1d1a4b

Wind_Energy_Eagle_Deaths.JPEG-0b4d7-5679.jpg

Mav its is a scam but not for why you think, its TOKENISM. Y'see Green energy from wind and solar IS good IF IT IS DONE RIGHT, but its not what you see is Turbines connected straight to the grid so if the power is not wanted at that time or its not windy the system fails. But the politicians say they have done their green bit.

What is SUPPOSED to happen is the turbines /panels generate power, then that power is SUPPOSED to be used to crack water into Hydrogen and Oxygen which is then stored at the power station until the power is needed. Then the Hydrogen / Oxygen is burned to provide heat to generate steam to turn the turbines on demand.

The cracker / hydrogen store is missing from most systems.

Mav its is a scam but not for why you think, its TOKENISM. Y'see Green energy from wind and solar IS good IF IT IS DONE RIGHT, but its not what you see is Turbines connected straight to the grid so if the power is not wanted at that time or its not windy the system fails. But the politicians say they have done their green bit.

What is SUPPOSED to happen is the turbines /panels generate power, then that power is SUPPOSED to be used to crack water into Hydrogen and Oxygen which is then stored at the power station until the power is needed. Then the Hydrogen / Oxygen is burned to provide heat to generate steam to turn the turbines on demand.

The cracker / hydrogen store is missing from most systems.
It is ironic, we struggle for enough energy constantly and a gallon of sea water has loads of it.

Latest posts

Back