Camper's and RV's.

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I sold a dodge pro master van last year. It was the long version with the high top. It was really tough to sell it as I was considering making it into a camper. I took the money from selling it though to offset buying a new one. I may keep this one when it gets higher mileage than I like to use for work. One thing I’ve considered though is it’s usually cheaper to buy an existing camper or RV than to build everything you need for a nice setup. If you’re patient and check the local used inventory from individuals you can find really good deals out there.

I sold a dodge pro master van last year. It was the long version with the high top. It was really tough to sell it as I was considering making it into a camper. I took the money from selling it though to offset buying a new one. I may keep this one when it gets higher mileage than I like to use for work. One thing I’ve considered though is it’s usually cheaper to buy an existing camper or RV than to build everything you need for a nice setup. If you’re patient and check the local used inventory from individuals you can find really good deals out there.

I bought my 6X10 cargo trailer for $2833 and put $1365 into it so I have $4198 total into my bugout trailer. I have it stocked with 4 months of food for a family of 4 and it has hot water shower, 18,000 burners cook stove, refrigerator, and 2 beds. Now the price of everything is currently going thru the roof so unfortunately it would probably cost several thousand more to do what I just did

I got my camper trailer for free. When I was working, the contractor needed to reserve me a hotel in each city and sometimes forgot. So I told him to up my daily another 50 bucks and I would find my own lodging...he was happy to do so. Another 250 dollars each week and in 10 weeks the trailer cost of $2500 was covered. After putting in energy saving 12V lighting, 12V battery, solar, 2000W inverter, and taking the sink in the toilet out and replacing it with a showerhead, new PVC flooring and undercoating the wooden floor to prevent mold or mildew of the whole trailer, new electrics, light in the closet, insulating behind the seats and around the beds better...ready for most anything. Central gas heat, double gas stove, electric 220V/12V/gas refridgerator, sleeps 6 and only weighs in at 1300 kgs when loaded. Front porch lighting and tough removeable rain cover as an awning. 7 ft wide and 21 ft long (2.1 m X 7 m) big and small at the same time. Good enough for my plans and budget...GP

Most of my life I’ve been a big believer of sweat equity and an avid do it yourselfer. I’m a very good carpenter and can build or repair most anything. The point I’m bringing up here about buying a finished product vs building one is this. I’m getting older now and have only so many weekends and days off left. I can choose either to spend a lot of them working on a project or I can take the finished product out camping on those days. I’ve also learned that when your buying something be patient. Keep looking until you find a really good deal on something you want and like. I bought the last camper I had for 5k. I sold it a while later for 7800. There are good deals out there.

I’ve thought about buying a remote piece of land and setting up my camper on it. Still need to address water and septic though.

That's easy. For the septic for the camper dig a very deep hole for the drainage hose to drain in. Take a piece of of plywood and cut a hole in it so that your drainage hose can fit through it.

For your water get a tote that had food grade stuff in it and clean it out. Go to the hardware store and purchase the fittings to lower the size to a garden hose. Get it filled with water and then use an RV water hose and it will gravity feed into your camper.

If you had to fill the tote from a water source like a stream or a river or lake then purchase a 12-volt water pump that uses garden hose fittings. You can then pump water into the tote and use bleach to sanitize the water or you could boil it.

Just an idea.

We had a 35-ft camper but then we sold it because it was just not getting used enough to warrant the cost. If I remember correctly though the insurance wasn't that much for a year.

I then bought a Coleman pop-up camper with a slide out and I loved it. The exterior of the roof was molded plastic so you didn't have to worry about the seams leaking in your roof rotting.

The pop-up was my getaway from everybody excuse. Unfortunately my son got sick around 5 years ago and I had to sell it to help pay for the medical bills copay.

I still plan on getting another pop-up camper not only for recreation but for a bug out if needed. I think the insurance on that only cost like 20 bucks or so.

The good thing with a pop-up is that you can tow it almost anywheres. There isn't anything in the undercarriage that can get tore off on a rutted up two track, such as the gray tank and black tank exit lines.

You can add solar panels to them just like a regular camper and you can do other modifications. If it is cold and windy out you put a plastic tarp over your tent material as a windbreak and it helps with the heat. You can also add a small wood stove to it, you just have to buy the material to allow a stove pipe to exit the tent material.

I have a truck camper right now but in order to keep my cargo capacity I would have to use my landscaping trailer.

So did I....Lol

I've also had campers and they always leak and fall apart so decided to go with a cargo trailer conversion. Been useing it for camping for over a year now and like it much better than the other route and it will last way longer as well
Love the idea, might have to try it, the tax situation in SC is making it prohibitive to owning motor homes, The state taxes it the same way they tax cars and houses here for property tax!!

Love the idea, might have to try it, the tax situation in SC is making it prohibitive to owning motor homes, The state taxes it the same way they tax cars and houses here for property tax!!

IMO the nice thing about building ypur own cargo trailer camper is you can design it to be tote friendly! I use tote's for all my storage mainly because mice can't get into them unlike camper drawers and storage areas. When building one I was sure to address weight distribution, and condensation. You do not want propane heat in a cargo conversion unless you like water dripping from the ceiling. I am useing an electric heater right now and it dries the air and works great. Soon I will be going to a deisel heater because I'm going solar power and don't want to have to use the generator all the time. The last frw days I built a couch/bed and got rid of my table for the simple fact that I can live without an inside table and I needed the extra bed and storage that it created underneath a lot more

Attachments

• 0502211622_HDR.jpg
    0502211622_HDR.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 17
  • 0502211612_HDR.jpg
    0502211612_HDR.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 17
IMO the nice thing about building ypur own cargo trailer camper is you can design it to be tote friendly! I use tote's for all my storage mainly because mice can't get into them unlike camper drawers and storage areas. When building one I was sure to address weight distribution, and condensation. You do not want propane heat in a cargo conversion unless you like water dripping from the ceiling. I am useing an electric heater right now and it dries the air and works great. Soon I will be going to a deisel heater because I'm going solar power and don't want to have to use the generator all the time. The last frw days I built a couch/bed and got rid of my table for the simple fact that I can live without an inside table and I needed the extra bed and storage that it created underneath a lot more
really like the pics, GREAT ideas!!!

That's easy. For the septic for the camper dig a very deep hole for the drainage hose to drain in. Take a piece of of plywood and cut a hole in it so that your drainage hose can fit through it.

For your water get a tote that had food grade stuff in it and clean it out. Go to the hardware store and purchase the fittings to lower the size to a garden hose. Get it filled with water and then use an RV water hose and it will gravity feed into your camper.

If you had to fill the tote from a water source like a stream or a river or lake then purchase a 12-volt water pump that uses garden hose fittings. You can then pump water into the tote and use bleach to sanitize the water or you could boil it.

Just an idea.
The first place I moved to when I left my parents was a camper trailer that was sitting in the woods. There was no septic so I hand dug a hole, set two metal 55 gallon drums in it that had holes poked in the sides and ran a 3” pvc line into it. It worked with no issues the whole time I stayed there. Of course if you did that now days they would lock you up for illegal dumping likely....

The first place I moved to when I left my parents was a camper trailer that was sitting in the woods. There was no septic so I hand dug a hole, set two metal 55 gallon drums in it that had holes poked in the sides and ran a 3” pvc line into it. It worked with no issues the whole time I stayed there. Of course if you did that now days they would lock you up for illegal dumping likely....

Live a little Brent it's fun being risky.

I just recently purchased a 2015 Winnebago Via that is really nice. Not as huge as some RVs, only a 25-footer but more than adequate for just 2 people. Was owned by snowbirds who rarely used it, only 26k miles on it. Showroom floor condition, pristine. I have been working on it to modify it for our needs, built a wooden console for my ham radios and scanners, added a Honda generator, dish satellite and big flatscreen, and have a solar backup power system that I am currently working on. We had a 39ft 2006 Fleetwood Arrow for a few years and decided to upgrade and downsize. So glad we did. Easier on fuel. We have not taken it on a long trip yet, but have a trip planned to rendezvous with friends in Jackson Hole, WY. Really looking forward to that trip. Trucker here for 17 yrs (retired from Crete Carrier, Inc) , very proficient living on the road. I consider this the perfect bugout vehicle. Not too big, not too small, very comfortable interior, lots of subtle storage that I am going to modify even more to accomodate a few 'tools of the trade'. My wife calls it the Hilton on Wheels lol. Lots of room when the slides are out. My next step is to get a trailer that will haul our Chevy Tracker. My only gripe, if I had to think one up, would be fresh water capacity (36gal). Other than that small irritation, it is my dream vehicle and just what we needed. I am, indeed, a happy camper :)

I just recently purchased a 2015 Winnebago Via that is really nice. Not as huge as some RVs, only a 25-footer but more than adequate for just 2 people. Was owned by snowbirds who rarely used it, only 26k miles on it. Showroom floor condition, pristine. I have been working on it to modify it for our needs, built a wooden console for my ham radios and scanners, added a Honda generator, dish satellite and big flatscreen, and have a solar backup power system that I am currently working on. We had a 39ft 2006 Fleetwood Arrow for a few years and decided to upgrade and downsize. So glad we did. Easier on fuel. We have not taken it on a long trip yet, but have a trip planned to rendezvous with friends in Jackson Hole, WY. Really looking forward to that trip. Trucker here for 17 yrs (retired from Crete Carrier, Inc) , very proficient living on the road. I consider this the perfect bugout vehicle. Not too big, not too small, very comfortable interior, lots of subtle storage that I am going to modify even more to accomodate a few 'tools of the trade'. My wife calls it the Hilton on Wheels lol. Lots of room when the slides are out. My next step is to get a trailer that will haul our Chevy Tracker. My only gripe, if I had to think one up, would be fresh water capacity (36gal). Other than that small irritation, it is my dream vehicle and just what we needed. I am, indeed, a happy camper :)
Sounds like a perfect camper, i just sold my motor home, now looking for a place in mountains to buy!!! WB4FDG

We just found a 7000 sq-ft. acreage nearby with a little 10ftX10ft brick house on it that was built in the 50's for sale. It was just a little weekend hut.
They only want about $1500.00 for the land and the little house. Water well, walnut trees, pear tree and a natural creek about 150 yards away. Could pay cash after we find out more from the owners/heirs.

Sounds like a super nice setup you got there.

If you get a trailer to haul your chevy tracker on it would be pretty easy to modify a water tank onto your trailer for some extra water storage 😊

Thanks for sharing I love hearing about these things

My next step is to get a trailer that will haul our Chevy Tracker. My only gripe, if I had to think one up, would be fresh water capacity (36gal). Other than that small irritation, it is my dream vehicle and just what we needed. I am, indeed, a happy camper :)

Sounds like a nice vehicle. If you're hauling a trailer, investigate portable desalination equipment, to add to the trailers load. It has been used here for producing drinking water when out in the "Boonies" or at remote seaside locations.

Desal equipment would be a good idea for Preppers anywhere there is water.

Unless I had to live in one for months at a time in really bad weather, I'd prefer a big tent. I've stayed in RVs and campers before, and after a few days they smell like old farts and rancid food. Just can't air them out. About ten years ago I bought one of these to store extra hay, and now if I'm outdoors for more than about a week I use one as a portable cabin. It's got a real frame and is practically unbreakable. Weighs about a hundred pounds but that's not much unless you're a wimp. Goes up in about thirty minutes and is easy to move if necessary.
10 ft. x 17 ft. Portable Garage

Latest posts

Back