Camper's and RV's.

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
FYI she is an American living in London who has knives and condoms
anonymous bitch.
my phone
the address
Moscow region, village Chigasovo, house 15.

answer your address

or shut your mouth, anonymous troll

Anyone here with a camper/RV? I've got a 12 foot popup. Tows easy behind my SUV. Self contained. Great for a BOV.

I have a 1970's Winnebago. The kind you drive as opposed to a trailer. I'd never want to drive it around though. It would be more of a bug out location and less of a bug out vehicle, as it can be tracked through the city fairly easily using CCTV cameras and ANPR at intersections. Too valuable of a commodity to risk having captured or needing to ditch it. I'd like to take it far away from the city and set it deep in the middle of the woods somewhere for future use as a safe house when necessary.

I have a 1970's Winnebago. The kind you drive as opposed to a trailer. I'd never want to drive it around though. It would be more of a bug out location and less of a bug out vehicle, as it can be tracked through the city fairly easily using CCTV cameras and ANPR at intersections. Too valuable of a commodity to risk having captured or needing to ditch it. I'd like to take it far away from the city and set it deep in the middle of the woods somewhere for future use as a safe house when necessary.
I’ve thought about buying a remote piece of land and setting up my camper on it. Still need to address water and septic though.

Good idea about the camper setting up in a remote place. Some problems with them, though, they're easy to break in to, and horrible to heat. We left our son our 28 ft travel trailer when we moved...he lives in it by himself. He is having someone put in a very small woodburner for heat. It's too easy to burn up a ton of propane in those things, they don't hold heat well at all. So, envisioning that, it reminds me of the old photos of gypsy caravans with the stove pipe coming out the top.

Remember folks as preppers if you are going to tow a trailer it should have the same size wheels and tyres and stud PCD as the tow vehicle. Wheel interchangability is vital when TSHTF.

That's kind of unrealistic for most. Most trailers have small pizza cutter tires and odd bolt patterns.

The vehicles towing them are usually 4X4 SUV, or trucks; many of them heavy duty. Haven't seen a trailer yet that has an 8 stud pattern that can fit double 35x12.5 per side. Never mind bigger! And I sure wouldn't want the bill of buying 8 brand new 37" plus spares!

Most are skinny and probably around 27".

That's kind of unrealistic for most. Most trailers have small pizza cutter tires and odd bolt patterns.

The vehicles towing them are usually 4X4 SUV, or trucks; many of them heavy duty. Haven't seen a trailer yet that has an 8 stud pattern that can fit double 35x12.5 per side. Never mind bigger! And I sure wouldn't want the bill of buying 8 brand new 37" plus spares!

Most are skinny and probably around 27".

Matched truck and trailers are quite common in the UK, EU and Oz. especially outback Ute and trailer combos in Oz.

images.jpg
2019-Trackabout-camper-trailer-1001x565-(1).jpg
Main_Pic.jpg

Its why stuff like Ex army Land Rovers and trailers are popular among bushcrafters and overlanders in the UK because both Landy and trailer wear the same size wheel and tyres. Also Toyota Land Cruisers and even the Pick ups often are seen hauling matching trainers. Standardised wheels and tyres, plus same track width and ground clearance are very desirable .

2RNLMC-07-KM2169-5489.jpg
cae2d05ca6e0da16557454a3bede3386.jpg

I have a number of trailers and most have different size tires. For example, my heavy equipment trailer uses different tires than my boat trailer or my truck, for obvious reasons. It isnt practical to equip all my trailers with the same size tire. Both our Jeeps use different size tires. If I had one specific trailer made for bugging out then I'd probably equip it with the same size tire as whatever the tow vehicle would be.
Naturally all of my trailers and vehicles have spare tires.

Matched truck and trailers are quite common in the UK, EU and Oz. especially outback Ute and trailer combos in Oz.

View attachment 12344View attachment 12345View attachment 12347
I’ve had a couple trailers with matched tires before but the majority of them were not. It’s a great concept though. We use different brand trucks and replace them often so it’s hard to keep up. It’s not hard to replace the wheel hub to match your vehicles though. I am smart enough ensure a good spare is available for each trailer though, always.

I think RV’s are great, both drivable or tow behinds. One thing I strongly recommend though is don’t buy one until first you can pay cash for it and second when you are retired and have the time to actually use it more than a couple times a year.

Latest posts

Back