Camper's and RV's.

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brent S, Right now interest rates are low. When we bought our travel trailer our goal was to use it once a month, I was still working. We were shut down a few times for repairs but we stayed close to that plan until COVID. The state of New Mexico closed all the state parks so our used slowed down. After I retired we headed out on a 5,800 mile, 3 week trip from New Mexico to upstate New York then Rapid City SD, back to New Mexico. What a fantastic trip. As soon as we get our 2nd COVID shot we want to head out again. We are both travelers and old tent campers, really enjoying the travel trailer. The secret to a travel trailer happiness is finding the right floor plan!

Brent S, Right now interest rates are low. When we bought our travel trailer our goal was to use it once a month, I was still working. We were shut down a few times for repairs but we stayed close to that plan until COVID. The state of New Mexico closed all the state parks so our used slowed down. After I retired we headed out on a 5,800 mile, 3 week trip from New Mexico to upstate New York then Rapid City SD, back to New Mexico. What a fantastic trip. As soon as we get our 2nd COVID shot we want to head out again. We are both travelers and old tent campers, really enjoying the travel trailer. The secret to a travel trailer happiness is finding the right floor plan!
I’m really jealous of the three week trip! That sounds amazing. Hopefully before long I may be able to consider a trip that long. I just got my first vaccine today, and both of us are scheduled for the 2nd shot within 30 days. I may try to squeeze in a long weekend trip before the second shot. I’m reading it’s 80% effective after even just the first one and it seems to be 100% effective against getting a severe case with hospitalization. If I do it will just be a trip up into the local Smokey mountains. It’s always good to spend a weekend near a flowing stream or waterfall. Helps clear the head of all the stresses of life.
I know that interest rates are really low right now but Im a big believer of staying out of debt. For some it makes sense to float money on no or really low interest versus spending their savings, but in most cases I recommend cash for toys. With both the government and the majority of individuals in debt up to their eyeballs my opinion dosent mean much to most, lol.

I think RV’s are great, both drivable or tow behinds. One thing I strongly recommend though is don’t buy one until first you can pay cash for it and second when you are retired and have the time to actually use it more than a couple times a year.

I drive a self built camper van as I my EDC its so convenient, small kitchen, fresh water, toilet, changes of cloths, foul weather gear, GHB, extra fuel, tools, food, large FAK, recce kit etc. It means I can take a break without looking for diners or truck stops.

My last tour of the US started out in SW KS, went through OK Norman area then up to NM Taos area, then up to CO Salida and Denver before crusing back via Pueblo CO Dodge city, Garden city KS, fabulour area to explore.

I know that interest rates are really low right now but Im a big believer of staying out of debt. For some it makes sense to float money on no or really low interest versus spending their savings, but in most cases I recommend cash for toys. With both the government and the majority of individuals in debt up to their eyeballs my opinion dosent mean much to most, lol.
As you know I'm a big proponent of getting out of debt, and staying out of debt too. However, there are times when low interest debt can be your friend, IF you have a plan and the discipline to pay it off within a year or two. At my age (63) I dont plan to take out any more loans unless its for new equipment where I can get zero interest rates. Years ago I'd take out loans and invest it in the stock markets and in real estate. I wouldn't consider doing that now.

My last tour of the US started out in SW KS, went through OK Norman area then up to NM Taos area, then up to CO Salida and Denver before crusing back via Pueblo CO Dodge city, Garden city KS, fabulour area to explore.
So you really didn't get to see much of the US then. Not the good part anyway.

So you really didn't get to see much of the US then. Not the good part anyway.

Seen most....... no much of it would be more apt over the years cept for your home state, But my wife is visiting AK in November 22 , starting out from Vancouver for a couple of weeks. I love the mid west though those HUGE open rolling prairies and the semi arid areas of NM.

Seen most....... no much of it would be more apt over the years cept for your home state, But my wife is visiting AK in November 22 , starting out from Vancouver for a couple of weeks. I love the mid west though those HUGE open rolling prairies and the semi arid areas of NM.
What part of Alaska is she going to?

Parts of the mid west are ok, but for me its too flat and too many people.

Parts of the mid west are ok, but for me its too flat and too many people.

Had to chuckle at the too many people, When we were in KS its population was 2.3 million people in an area roughly the same size as all of the UK, and we had 65 million at that time, it sure appeared empty to me. : )

All coastal she is going cruise (Alaska) and train (Canada) Icy straight point, Hibberd glacier, Juno, Ketchikan, then Canada to do a tour of the Rockys
Too bad she won't get to see interior Alaska. When I was 17 I lived in Juneau. Worked on a salmon trawler/gill net boat.

As you know I'm a big proponent of getting out of debt, and staying out of debt too. However, there are times when low interest debt can be your friend, IF you have a plan and the discipline to pay it off within a year or two. At my age (63) I dont plan to take out any more loans unless its for new equipment where I can get zero interest rates. Years ago I'd take out loans and invest it in the stock markets and in real estate. I wouldn't consider doing that now.
I’ve always been against debt. You can have so much more in life when you don’t pay interest to banks. All thats required is a little patience and dedication.

RVs are a MONEY PIT, i just sold ours, insurance, taxes, upkeep and other expenses make camping a VERY expensive hobby!!!
There is no doubt, as with most toys, it can be an expensive hobby. I would rather stay in our camper than most motels though. I know it’s clean and can take my furry companion.

Another often overlooked option is the motorcycle camper. Small light weight and can be towed by almost anything with wheels that moves. Basically it's a tent in a box that can be setup anywhere. Down side is they are small have limited cargo space and no amenities. But it will keep you out of the weather and provide a raised bed to sleep on in comfort.

Anyone here with a camper/RV? I've got a 12 foot popup. Tows easy behind my SUV. Self contained. Great for a BOV.

Cargo trailer conversion

Attachments

• 0319201148_HDR.jpg
    0319201148_HDR.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 19

Latest posts

Back