CAMOFLAGE; what is right for YOU

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Justin

Reaction score
Now in a SHTF scenerio i am a firm believer in a full camo battle uniform. Everyone's ideal pattern is going to depend on their geographical zone. For my general area ( northern michigan) my favorite is german flecktarn in a ACU uniform. What do you guys prefer?

A good source for camo is worldcamo.com

Totally agree. depends on your surroundings. another thing alot of people dont consider is scent. scent is a very important to any camoflauge.

except for wearing a camo long sleeve shirt or jacket dureing the winter.and the occasinal camo boots..i dont wear much in the way camo..i've always prefered the street clothes..but i must admit,camo is best route to go with at times.that way a person can blend in or hide when ever possible and needed..

Ill admit i did not think of that point. I agree that is a good SOP for most situations. However. I like in a very remote area so if i do see any ppl at all they will either be my neighbor a mile dowb the road or a potential threat. I already would stand out in a crowd witg my battle rifle, sidearm battle rattle and alice pack. My idea is to remain hidden. And as i was in the Army i have a fetish for ACU pattern uniforms

I have a two shirts each like these:
http://www.nexternal.com/armynavy/images/tiger stripe camo t shirt.jpg
http://foggymountaingear.com/images/8767.jpg
and denim short trousers colored like the first shirt. I bought both of them in a sports shop.
I wear them separately like sports wear or when I have to do something where I can get dirty, nobody cared about them. I would wear the green ones only in the case I 'd have to run and stay in a forest, but it can be a very big danger in other SHTF scenarios.
So, these are the only camo clothes I have (but I have an army camo knife from the 70s).

Last edited:
Here in Middle TN I use old U.S woodland and German Flecktarn most of the year . In the Fall I wear Swiss Alpenflage . I have some German and Itailian snow camo for the ocasional snow we get some years . I mostly use Military surplus gear . Glad I stocked up for the past 20 years as prices on surplus have sored .

Hunting camo is pretty much standard dress clothes around here,lol.Blue jeans,camo shirt,hat,boots and coat are pretty common.Mossy oak,Realtree versions,etc.But I do agree with staying away from BDU's and such patterns,anything too military/uniform looking.Could make you a target depending on the scenario.

Edit-while on the subject,here's a current local craigslist ad.This is pretty redneck even for me,lol.

http://zanesville.craigslist.org/for/4183582525.html

Last edited:
I'm less concerned with the pattern, as I am the material, multi-cam digital I have, also some whites for the snow. But any clothing in earth tones can be made into camo using material from the natural enviroment, the idea is to break up unnatural shapes, concealing your skin and other shiny areas, as much as it is changing your color. Like stated a few times having something which blends into the area. I'm not sure I understand the SHTF concern of a full camo attracting to much attention. If somebody could explain? If we are talking ulitmate SHTFS.

I can remember a time not that long ago when anytime you saw a civilian in camo you could assume he was a hunter. No longer the case, now it's a fashion here, and not just with rednecks.

I guess we can thank Duck Dynasty for that?

BDUs are ubiquitous because Fort Benning borders Columbus to the East and South. (Benning is actually larger geographically than Columbus)

So nobody here is going to attract attention in either BDUs or civie camo.

I agree, I guess if you usually live in the Bronx, wearing camo might attract attention, but otherwise I doubt it.

I would go more for the single color BDUs. Less conspicuous in any scenario. Just make sure the color matches your surroundings.

For my BOL I got mutiple lockers with camo types for each season.
So I got quite a large range to cover. I'll be going mostly with some of the newest local camos for this terrain by our militarily.
But mostly I'll stick with the same scheme as during my bugout. After all. you never know who comes knocking. (which is why I also made a BOL for my BOL nearby in the woods ;P)

During my bug out I'll mostly wear single colors. This way, desperate people wont think that i'm a soldier and come to me when they see. me nor will I have to worry as much about the last remnants of the authorities thinking im some nutjob whos watched 1 to many movies, and locking me up right before they go home never to return to their station. So with the single colors still being in the dominant colors I encounter along the way, I'll still retain some of the ability to blend in with the area yet also with the regular people on the road. (after all people are more inclined to see me as a fisherman or hiker then if id have multicam on ;P )

another thing alot of people dont consider is scent. scent is a very important to any camoflauge.
Mask your scent from what? When the mythbusters tried to outwit a bloodhound, they failed with even the most extreme attempts.
And if you need to mask your scent from zombies. well... the ones in "We're Alive" can smell 1 drop of sweet from insane distances. Try mask against that....

I'm wearing some dark khaki cargo shorts, hiking boots, and an olive drab fishing shirt (breathes well, and lots of pockets), along with a green ball cap (with a Slytherin logo). As long as you understand camo principles (i.e. breaking up your human form), you're fine. I'd rather not look like a Last Man On Earth type.... I'd rather have folks completely underestimate me, and inaccurately assess me.

It seems there is differant schools of thought here . Camoflage would be for a security measure where you do not want to be seen or make less of a target in a combat situation . If you are working in the field or repairing equipment you would want work clothes suited for that . If you are bartering or otherwise interacting with others not from your camp or group who cares what you are wearing . If you are bugged out and on the move you wear whatever you can find while what you have rotts off of you that being not a pleasant situation .

Latest posts

Back