Cactus

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Danil54grl

Top Poster
Reaction score
Just an FYI. . after pickly pears have bloomed (normally during the spring/or early summer depending on where you live), there is a red "bulb" on the end. This is the fruit. You will need to peel it before eating, but it is very good. It can be eaten year round, but will be a little tart after season. It is sweet and also hydrating. The prickly pear "pad" can also be eaten, by frying. You will need to peel it as well.

I found out a few years ago that we have freaking cactus growing on our land? I mean WTH?? Cactus in Missouri?? And it's a native specie?? I have no idea if it is edible or not.

If its flat like a beavers tail then yes its edible, if not then only the fruit is. Just remember the beaver tail thing its a good way to know if cacti is edible. The tube species can kill you.

i hear that the nopalea cactus is one of the best when it comes to the fruit.and that if you can squeeze the juice out of all the ripe ones.then mix 3-5 ounces of it to every 32 ounces of water.that way your not only drinking the juice thats good for ya.but your drinking water at the same time..

Thinking I may have to try adding it to my tea when it is time

some cactus leafs are good to eat..at least most of them have a bitter taste to them..and if you can find a leaf from a nopalea while the leaf thats around 2 years old,it'll have a better taste to it.and you can peel it with a peeler or shreed it with a chesse shreeder.then you can add a lil bit to a salad for better taste

Oh I never even thought about cactus! Oklahoma has a ton of cactus growing, I just need to read up on whats edible and not. Thanks for the tip!

Nopales, cactus are a staple here in South Texas.
We skin the prickly pear cactus ears and cook them with veggies and/or meat.
They are really good with fajitas ( beef skirt) cebolla ( onions) chile morron ( bell peppers) and champinoñes ( mushrooms.
La tuna, (prickly pear fruits) are used for preserves and jams.

ok bubba i aint going there with that,on acount it's to early for that when it comes to me..still wakeing up to folgerso_O

wiredog..which part of south tx you live in? on acount im wanting to get some of them nopales for growing here.and tell ya the truth i aint sure if there's any growing in this part of tx or not..

i had gone into a wal mart to do my monthly shoping the first part of last year.i went to the veggie department where i found napola pads by accident..i bought 2..in which i planted both..one servived.it now has 2 new pads on it..and because of that.i went there and got 4 more last week and planted them into flower pots..now it's a matter of seeing if they take root or not..

I wouldn't Kenny. The fluids from barrel cactus can cause serious diarrhea and vomiting and if I remember right, one of the species of barrel cactus here in North America is toxic.

Use them only for a solar still. DO NOT use them in any other way for water.

That's it! I blame Hollywood and cartoons for giving bad bad prepping advise! No using cactus for water....is a camel's hump still good?

Latest posts

Back