Bunker -wood post thickness!!

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No I don't think so.
We have a mixture of woodland but I'll have to check for sure what I can access at the location.
Will treat the whole length of the logs
Unless you can pressure treat the logs just brushing something on the outside doesn't do much good. We used to be able to get creosote and fill a 55 gallon drum with 50/50 diesel and creosote and soak our fence posts for about a year. They lasted a long time. Pressure treated timbers are estimated to last 20-30 years, but I've seen some start rotting in less than 8 years.
If you have a way to do it, you can soak your logs in a mixture of used motor oil and diesel. Around here I can buy used #1 and #2 railroad ties for about $25 each. I use them for corner posts. They will for a generation or two.

Do you have any yew trees in your area? They would last a lifetime, even untreated.
Maybe even longer, much longer, much much much longer. The oldest known wooden artifact (400,000 years old) is a spear tip made of yew.
Clacton_Spear_2018.JPG

What about larch? Those logs don´t get affected by water for a long time.

Dont put your "roof"logs directly on earth and coat them with waste oil or tar. Try to use dried logs. Fresh ones will split and there´s a possibility for puncturing your tarp.

Do you have any yew trees in your area? They would last a lifetime, even untreated.
We do have yes, but all the big ones were used to make longbows back in the day and after the longbow was superseded by the musket the yew wasn't planted anymore.
Only a few scatterings around now and if I'm honest I'd find it difficult to cut one down, they are kind of sacred to us.

What about larch? Those logs don´t get affected by water for a long time.

Dont put your "roof"logs directly on earth and coat them with waste oil or tar. Try to use dried logs. Fresh ones will split and there´s a possibility for puncturing your tarp.
Larch is a possibility!
I'll season for a year in that case.
Cheers man

Should probably add this to be a bit clearer.
I own a woodland but I don't have access to the woodland by vehicle.
The woodland has no access,no road or track.
I have a right of passage so can walk in to my woodland no problem.
The walk from the nearest carpark (parking lot) takes 45 minutes.
So taking heavy supplies in can be difficult.
On top of this my woodland is in an area with an SSI (Special scientific interest).
Have to be really careful what I do.
As my woodland is overlooked by 5 other woodlands all adjoining, this is my problem.

Technically I wouldn't be allowed to build a bunker without planning permission and surveys etc etc.

Long story short I have to build a bunker incognito.

Which is kinda why I want a bunker,it's under the ground and can't bee seen see by nosey neighbors.

Cheers

Latest posts

Back