Bunker design questions..

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BunkN’Cover

Reaction score
I’m not exactly sure where this topic needs to be, “General Prepping” seemed like a catch-all. Some introductions first I guess. I’m no one special, just a father of one (two soon-ish), and a husband. I wouldn’t call myself a “prepper” per se, I’m just a guy with a family that has a desire to protect his family and prepare for a potential disaster including nukes.
That being said, I’m in the process of designing a bunker to protect my family from such threats. I have some issues, problems, questions, and I would like some input from you lot as it pertains to bunker designing and functionality. What I’m really after is people who have experience and knowledge in said bunker designing and functionality, though any input and advice will be throughly read and considered. I will be happy to post a picture, if I can do that, and show what I have so far, if it’s appropriate. I’d rather not give personal details (Name, location, etc.) but general questions about the bunker are welcome.

I’m not exactly sure where this topic needs to be, “General Prepping” seemed like a catch-all. Some introductions first I guess. I’m no one special, just a father of one (two soon-ish), and a husband. I wouldn’t call myself a “prepper” per se, I’m just a guy with a family that has a desire to protect his family and prepare for a potential disaster including nukes.
That being said, I’m in the process of designing a bunker to protect my family from such threats. I have some issues, problems, questions, and I would like some input from you lot as it pertains to bunker designing and functionality. What I’m really after is people who have experience and knowledge in said bunker designing and functionality, though any input and advice will be throughly read and considered. I will be happy to post a picture, if I can do that, and show what I have so far, if it’s appropriate. I’d rather not give personal details (Name, location, etc.) but general questions about the bunker are welcome.
I might would move to a place that is less likely to need a bunker for survival. I know, easier said than done perhaps. The best plan is to get away from the people you'd need protection from and once you're there, never vote like the people you needed protection from always seem to vote.

I might would move to a place that is less likely to need a bunker for survival. I know, easier said than done perhaps. The best plan is to get away from the people you'd need protection from and once you're there, never vote like the people you needed protection from always seem to vote.

So here's the hitch. My wife is pretty adamant about living in Golden Oak, she's a huge Disney fanatic, like if I didn't know any better, I might assume her name is Minnie (It's not). So with Florida being the place I'm going to be living, I've found a nice 6 acre parcel of land that's almost perfectly square. As anyone that's been an any kind of emergency or disaster knows, the roads are crowded, people panic, chaos ensues. So we've plans to purchase a couple of Skyrunner ATV's to get us from home to bunker location. If you don't know what a Skyrunner is, it's an ATV that functions as a powered parachute, meaning a flying ATV.

Also, I don't want to be rude to anyone, but if at all possible, I'd like to keep the conversation simply on bunker design and not stray toward politics. I realize it's a very hot topic and people have very strong beliefs one way or the other. My main concern is protecting my family from a disaster, all disasters really, but focusing more on a nuclear fallout shelter because it seems to me that if you can withstand a nuclear disaster you should be able to withstand most anything. Also, any nuclear capable country can loose a nuke, and it doesn't necessarily take nukes to detonate in the United States to affect the United States.

I would dig deep, very, very deep.

I'll post pictures as soon as I can of the design I have so far. But essentially the bunker is 10ft below the surface of the earth. The bunker made completely out of reinforced concrete and is 8ft tall, most places, and all outside walls/ceiling are 2'6" thick, all interior walls are 6in thick, (except where sound proofing is needed, those walls are 12" thick) and the floor/base is 12" thick. I can't realistically go much deeper than that, without hitting the water table. Also it wouldn't make much sense unless I'm trying to avoid artillery, I'm not, i'm just trying to survive a nuclear blast 1/4 mile away. I'm pretty certain that you can't put a bunker deep enough to survive a direct hit from a nuke anyway.

I've attached a rough floor plan with rooms numbered. The following list of rooms corresponds to the numbers on the floor plan.

1. Living room
2. Half bath w/ access from living room
3. Kitchen
4. Pantry/Food Storage
5. Dining Room
6. Communications/Security room w/ 2 EMP vaults to protect vital electronics
7. Guest Suite bedroom
8. Guest Suite closet
9. Guest Suite bathroom
10. Spare bedroom 1
11. Spare bedroom 2
12. Common use bathroom
13. Child bedroom 1
14. Child bedroom 2
15. Owner Suite bedroom
16. Owner Suite bathroom
17. Owner Suite closet
18. Laundry room
19. Gym
20. Bathroom w/ access from gym
21. Pump room/well room
22. Hallway from gym to pump room and pool room
23. Hot tub room
24. Pool room
25. Pool bathrooms w/ showers
26. Grow rooms for food, center room for compost and vermiculture (worm farm)
27. Stairway that leads down to garage (garage is 8ft lower than main bunker. garage is 16 ft tall)
28. Extra storage room above garage w/ access to hallway
29. Garage*

*Garage will have opening protected by two doors, one nuclear shielding door (inner) and a bunker door (outer) both manufactured by Sophia High Tech company.

Attachments

• bunker.pdf
    123.1 KB · Views: 26
The rooms I'm missing are the power room (houses batteries), the generator room (houses...the generator), and the gun range/armory. My questions with the whole design have to do with mainly the generator room and overall how to provide power to the bunker and the safest way to go about it.

I am going to be the voice of doom here. As an EX Disney employee and an ex 20 year Central Florida resident I am very familiar with the land and the area. You are going to build an underground bunker in the land of sinkholes.
Remember the sinkhole in Winterpark (early 80's) that swallowed an entire car dealership one night. It's now a lake I believe. There is a reason people do not have basements in Florida. First hurricane it becomes an indoor pool.

Second point.....You have to have a permit in Central Florida to fart. You either will never get one or you will have to put out massive $$$$$$$ to pass any inspection and you better have great engineers and the drawings to support that kind of build.

JMHO take it for what it's worth.

I agree with Florida not being a great place for basements or bunkers. Storms are just getting bigger, stronger and wetter with the already high water table. The only thing I would have considered there would be an above ground poured structure that is covered with a mound of dirt afterwards. The dirt can come from the property giving a new pond as well. I did a thread with pictures here several years ago of a root cellar I built in the side of a hill. Much less grand than your concept but I did learn a few things. The number one thing I believe in any design to consider first is ventilation. Although earth insulated structures are great for many things the moisture buildup is the most common problem.

So here's the hitch. My wife is pretty adamant about living in Golden Oak, she's a huge Disney fanatic, like if I didn't know any better, I might assume her name is Minnie (It's not). So with Florida being the place I'm going to be living, I've found a nice 6 acre parcel of land that's almost perfectly square. As anyone that's been an any kind of emergency or disaster knows, the roads are crowded, people panic, chaos ensues. So we've plans to purchase a couple of Skyrunner ATV's to get us from home to bunker location. If you don't know what a Skyrunner is, it's an ATV that functions as a powered parachute, meaning a flying ATV.

Also, I don't want to be rude to anyone, but if at all possible, I'd like to keep the conversation simply on bunker design and not stray toward politics. I realize it's a very hot topic and people have very strong beliefs one way or the other. My main concern is protecting my family from a disaster, all disasters really, but focusing more on a nuclear fallout shelter because it seems to me that if you can withstand a nuclear disaster you should be able to withstand most anything. Also, any nuclear capable country can loose a nuke, and it doesn't necessarily take nukes to detonate in the United States to affect the United States.
I wouldn’t plan on hiding underground in Florida. Most of it is way too close to sea level and they get lots of hurricanes.

if your posting is on the up & up >> no mention of any current prep supplies or any interest in it - better find a ground level building and start spending some of that sock wad of $$$$ toward filling that building and equipping this bunker of yours ...

time is short !!!!!!!!

I wouldn’t plan on hiding underground in Florida. Most of it is way too close to sea level and they get lots of hurricanes.

back in the early 1960s - JFK prez days - the Kennedys spent plenty of time in the family FL compound (AKA Prez Trump) >>> the SS and military needed an immediate prez bunker - nothing possible below ground - grabbed a little deserted spit of island and buried a modified Quanset hut - temp protection while the Navy sent in a helicopter or sub - it was still there last I heard ....

been wondering what they did for Prez Trump's FL protection >>>

Latest posts

Back