Building ideas for off grid

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are wind generators/turbines still commonly used? I was talking to a Marine buddy and he said they're too expensive for what they generate, at least as far as home or residential use. He recommended 100% solar, but I know the tech is constantly changing and it's possible he's out of the loop on latest wind turbine tech.
I'm looking at a 1500 watt unit for about $1200 and another $1500 for the tower. We're on solar 100% right now but during winter the sun alone isn't enough to provide all of our electrical needs. We dont get near enough wind to replace solar, but In the fall, winter and spring we get enough wind to supplement the solar. My goal is to cut the generator run time by 2/3's.

That looks like a nice kit, and about the same output as mine. I'm not familiar with the brand though. I'd recommend getting a solar tracker too. It should increase your solar collection by about 30%. My system is inadequate during winter and so my generator runs more than I'd like it to. On a 12 month average the generator runs just under 4 hours per day. I plan to add a wind generator and another 4 or 5 solar panels.
What kind of generator will you be using? Are you going to add an auto start? I'm using a 12kw Perkins diesel. Its plumbed to a 55 gallon "day" tank, which I can fill from a 350 bulk tank that sits just outside the building.
I’m not sure exactly what kind , will have to ask my husband. We have a few generators and he recently picked up a dual fuel one similar to this from Home Depot.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/DUROMAX...ario1jv8hpuEj-ThzP4aAi8WEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Note that Duromax generators are listed at having 12% harmonic distortion. Although it could be a little worse. I'd use 15% as a guide.

For most things, all this means is they will run less efficiently than when using grid power. But for sensitive items (which some electronics are considered), you should charge a battery and then operate the item from the battery (via an inverter). Many UPS units can be used for this, although I've seen some manuals from UPS makers which state a requirement for less than 5% harmonic distortion on the incoming power.

With that said, if it's power for occasional outages, you can usually ignore distortion. However, if it's long term it will take its toll on items which need cleaner power.

But car batteries are flooded -- the water can boil. Steam can be explosive.
The water doesn't boil, electrolysis breaks down the water contained in the acid solution into hydrogen and oxygen gas. With the ratio those gasses are produced, they can detonate from the smallest spark (like disconnecting a charger cable), and that shock front will follow the venting gasses into the battery and cause the battery itself to explode. When the gas does not find an ignition source, the water loss caused by electrolysis slowly lowers the electrolyte level exposing the top of the plates which causes uneven plate wear during charging. If you properly maintain them and don't over charge them, they can last over a decade.

I mentioned tips for lead-acid battery maintenance before, but I'll mention some of it here. #1-Sulfation happens when storing batteries with less than a full charge as lead sulfate (what the sulfuric acid becomes during discharge) is less soluble in water than it is in 35% acid solution, which leads to crystals forming on the plates reducing their effective surface area. #2-even proper charging leads to water loss through electrolysis, but most people make the mistake of adding water to a dead battery or adding acid. The acid does not go anywhere, but when the battery charges, the solution expands. Therefore, when adding distilled water, a partial charge on low is recommended before adding the water. Otherwise, if you top off a dead battery then charge it, electrolyte will be forced out of the vents and you will lose acid (the only way you lose acid, so normally never add anything but distilled water). I stress the distilled part too because the minerals in tap water will screw up the plates. #3-concrete floors. Never charge/discharge a battery sitting on a concrete floor. The floor keeps the bottom half cooler and the temperature gradient will also cause uneven plate wear. In summary: never let them sit partially discharged, never over charge them, keep an eye on the electrolyte levels in the proper way, and keep them away from temperature gradients. My caterpillar 153-5720 12v battery is 8 years old and in perfect condition.

Titan solar powered generators are awesome, and they are having a sale until the 26th. Buy a kit, and get 5 free panels using the code "solarforchristmas". Citing that from memory. Let me know if that is wrong and I will recheck my email.

Gas can run out. If the sun runs out, we all have bigger problems.. Solar is also silent, and gasless, so you can bring it in the house

Also, I would build a few hidden rooms. In the house, underground, away from the house, whatever.

Titan solar powered generators are awesome, and they are having a sale until the 26th. Buy a kit, and get 5 free panels using the code "solarforchristmas".

Where are you finding this available? All I've seen for Titan is backordered at least until next May.

Note that Duromax generators are listed at having 12% harmonic distortion. Although it could be a little worse. I'd use 15% as a guide.

For most things, all this means is they will run less efficiently than when using grid power. But for sensitive items (which some electronics are considered), you should charge a battery and then operate the item from the battery (via an inverter). Many UPS units can be used for this, although I've seen some manuals from UPS makers which state a requirement for less than 5% harmonic distortion on the incoming power.

With that said, if it's power for occasional outages, you can usually ignore distortion. However, if it's long term it will take its toll on items which need cleaner power.
I don’t think it’s a duromax as it’s a different color than this one. I can go out in the shop to take a picture just being lazy today 😂
Plus the wind is really howling. Blew off all the snow. Not super cold but still nasty outside
I’ll see if I can find the actual one we got.

At their site, yes, I think most everything is backordered, but the discount is about $900. Worth the wait. Besides, she has some time.. Almost covers another battery.
Yeah May would be fine. Probably won’t be done building for at least a year anyway unless we get one of those Amish built cabin kits out of Libby MT.

Latest posts

Back