Build a first aid kit

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Isn't 1% low? 🤷
Not really. Most lidocaine used to suture wounds is either 1% or 2%. It is also usually mixed with 1:100,000 epinephrine ("adrenaline"), which slows bleeding, as epinephrine causes capillaries to constrict.

The purpose of this is so that blood won't obscure your view while you stitch.

I must say again that suturing is overrated. Stitching a wound closed can actually cause an infection that will create more problems than simply cleaning it, dressing it, and leaving it open.

Stitching a wound closed can create an environment where anerobic bacteria can grow.

Tetanus ("lockjaw"), wound botulism, and gas gangrene (Clostridium perfringens) are all highly lethal, very difficult to treat, disfiguring, extremely painful, and are caused by anerobes.

Last edited:
Not really. Most lidocaine used to suture wounds is either 1% or 2%. It is also usually mixed with 1:100,000 epinephrine ("adrenaline"), which slows bleeding, as epinephrine causes capillaries to constrict.

The purpose of this is so that blood won't obscure your view while you stitch.

I must say again that suturing is overrated. Stitching a wound closed can actually cause an infection that will create more problems than simply cleaning it, dressing it, and leaving it open.

Stitching a wound closed can create an environment where anerobic bacteria can grow.

Tetanus ("lockjaw"), wound botulism, and gas gangrene (Clostridium perfringens) are all highly lethal, very difficult to treat, disfiguring, extremely painful, and are caused by anerobes.
More information, please. Haha

With that said, what is the benefit other than minimizing scarring? How do you choose when to suture and when not to in field medicine?

I have been practicing my suturing but I really hope I never have to do it.

With that said, what is the benefit other than minimizing scarring? How do you choose when to suture and when not to in field medicine?

Lol, you have to understand Kevin is autistic. I understand what he's saying. Make sure your wound is clean and thoroughly applied with a safe antimicrobial/antiseptic and done so often. You don't want to close a wound that has bad bacteria in it. If you cant then dont suture it. I use CDS @ 50-100 ppm.

Lol, you have to understand Kevin is autistic. I understand what he's saying. Make sure your wound is clean and thoroughly applied with a safe antimicrobial/antiseptic and done so often. You don't want to close a wound that has bad bacteria in it. If you cant then dont suture it. I use CDS @ 50-100 ppm.
Ok. That makes sense. I'm a lot better at preventative than trauma care, obviously!

There would be a benefit if suturing keeps underlying anatomical features from being exposed to the outside environment.

If--for example--a lot of underlying muscle and/or tendons was exposed, then suturing might be appropriate.

If you can get a pressure cooker, you can sterilize needles, thread, and forcepts to the point that they can be used without spreading infection.

If you wish to practice, order a fetal pig from a scientific supply company. See below:

1679325940051.png

https://www.googleadservices.com/pa...=2ahUKEwj82_Gq6Or9AhUksIQIHV3pB4gQ0Qx6BAgFEAE
The consistancy and thickness of pig skin is close to a human being.

The specimen pictured above is about $16.00.

I hope this helps.

There would be a benefit if suturing keeps underlying anatomical features from being exposed to the outside environment.

If--for example--a lot of underlying muscle and/or tendons was exposed, then suturing might be appropriate.

If you can get a pressure cooker, you can sterilize needles, thread, and forcepts to the point that they can be used without spreading infection.

If you wish to practice, order a fetal pig from a scientific supply company. See below:

View attachment 19348

https://www.googleadservices.com/pa...=2ahUKEwj82_Gq6Or9AhUksIQIHV3pB4gQ0Qx6BAgFEAE
The consistancy and thickness of pig skin is close to a human being.

The specimen pictured above is about $16.00.

I hope this helps.
Thank you.

No prob. See below for a medical supply place that sells suturing supplies for reasonable prices:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...8QFnoECBAQAQ&usg=AOvVaw0Jz44icctNxEGtPBCKA30U
Also, monofiliment fishline and a sharp, curved needle can be used for sutures.
You can do the same thing with butterfly closures or Steri-Strips and not chance introducing more bacteria through sutures. Get a stapler, very little gut type suturing is done on surface wounds these days.

So...just a disclaimer, this stuff is NOT FDA approved for use on humans but, in a scenrio where you might be desperate....

1679416762656.png

We use it on the horses when they do something stupid. We have one that is an absolute walking accident. He was itching himself on a t-post, bent it and then put it through the skin between his hind leg and belly (did not penetrate the muscle) tore a hole about the size of my fist.

Vet said no stiches, no anti-biotics, just flush it out for a couple of days, then apply the Scarlett oil. It healed up.

Used the same method on a dog (not approved for dogs either) with a huge bite from getting into a fight with a neighbor's dog...healed right up scar was about what you would expect from stitches not done by a plastic surgeon.

You can do the same thing with butterfly closures or Steri-Strips and not chance introducing more bacteria through sutures. Get a stapler, very little gut type suturing is done on surface wounds these days.
Heck, even my major abdominal surgery wasn't sutured on the surface. (They stitched up my insides, but not the surface.)

I want to know how to do it all, though, just on case.

Duct tape and Gorilla tape can be used to hold wounds closed.

There is a kind of liquid soap called Hibaclens that contains chlorhexidine gluconate, and it can be used to wash skin, wounds, rashes, and so forth. It is available at Walmart (and everywhere else).

See below:
1679455182025.png

If it's used properly, bacteria will not grow or multiply on the skin for 6 to 8 hours after it's used, as it leaves an antimicrobial residue on the skin.

Keep in mind that just because it kills germs doesn't mean that it kills anything else. I knew someone who tried to use it to kill head lice, and it didn't work . . . although there are theoretical reasons why I imagine that it may prevent the diseases transmitted by lice.

This is because body lice (head lice and pubic lice are not known to spread disease) excrete organisims--like those that cause typhus--in their feces, and people get sick when they scratch louse bites and rub the feces into the spot where they were bitten . . . as this is where the skin is broken.

So, it seems to me that a disinfectant soap with residual action would kill the organisms in the louse feces so that the person wouldn't get sick.

I don't know this for a fact, but this idea seems logical.

Last edited:
Duct tape and Gorilla tape can be used to hold wounds closed.

There is a kind of liquid soap called Hibaclens that contains chlorhexidine gluconate, and it can be used to wash skin, wounds, rashes, and so forth. It is available at Walmart (and everywhere else).

See below:View attachment 19351

If it's used properly, bacteria will not grow or multiply on the skin for 6 to 8 hours after it's used, as it leaves an antimicrobial residue on the skin.

Keep in mind that just because it kills germs doesn't mean that it kills anything else. I knew someone who tried to use it to kill head lice, and it didn't work . . . although there are theoretical reasons why I imagine that it may prevent the diseases transmitted by lice.

This is because body lice (head lice and pubic lice are not known to spread disease) excrete organisims--like those that cause typhus--in their feces, and people get sick when they scratch louse bites and rub the feces into the spot where they were bitten . . . as this is where the skin is broken.

So, it seems to me that a disinfectant soap with residual action would kill the organisms in the louse feces so that the person wouldn't get sick.

I don't know this for a fact, but this idea seems logical.
Ahhhh, takes me back to my pre op shower prep.

The two medical grade super glues are:

1. 2-octyl cyanoacrylate (rated for the closure of wounds and surgical incision and as a barrier against common bacterial microbes)

SurgiSeal
FloraSeal
Dermabond (probably the most ubiquitous one)
Derma+Flex
2. n-butyl cyanoacrylate (Very similar to 2-octyl but less rigid, more flexible, and consequently not as strong)

Liquiband
Indermil
GluShield
GluStitch
Histoacryl
Periacryl (as a dental adhesive)

As of right now the contents of my emergency bag is being used for self surgery . The problem is a pulse oozing ingrained toenail of one of my sons . He put on an deadening ointment and then injected himself with a needle injecting deadening stuff . I left him to cut the toe open with a razor blade , cut out the toe nail and then glue the incision back up . I am not that for from him and told him if I heard screams I would know where it was coming from .

Just a reminder " today " is the last day that you will be able to buy fish antibiotics . Actually you will be lucky if you find any as it likely has already been bought out .
I got some on valleyvet a few days ago, but they were expensive. I probably have plenty, but I went ahead and got some more anyway.

I do have my entire Jase medical kit still, too. And you can get a new one each year. They're overpriced, but worth it if you can't get them elsewhere.

Latest posts

Back