Bugout vehicle and trailer

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't forget to bug-out at the right time folks...the main Highways will be closed to all traffic TFexcept the Military...the major roads will be jammed with the idiots trying to get away like every hurricane in Florida...the side roads will be jammed with the dummies who are trying to miss the traffic jams everywhere else...if you do NOT get out in time...YOU WILL BE BUGGING IN...
off road vehicles and 4x4 will be able get around certain jams in certain areas but not everywhere tho. If it even smells like S before it HTF, you better be already on the road and gone. Live free, Gary

Well said.

But how does one recognize when to bug out?
In 2016 how many anticipated that Trump would win, and stock up extra supplies, pulled their monies out of the stock market from the surprise (Note: I did both, bought the dip, did pretty dang good that year) or bug out in anticipation of a Dem meltdown/riot?
COVID19?
2020 election?
Is anyone bugging out now in anticipation of a inflation/hyperinflation situation and socio-economic collapse? Might not happen for a few months from now, but historically speaking, that is a very short fuse.

Oh... the right time for an bug out? I have discuss this so often as it looks like the chicken - egg - question.... The holy grale for preppers?
In my opinion there's not possible to find an general answer for the right time to "move out". Guess you always need to analyse the situation in your own area in an crisis or worse constantly. And of course employed are in an bigger trouble than self-employed. If self-employed bug out to early they still can come back after one or two weeks and tell you we're for an camping trip or an hike.
I think it's always important you check the ways you'll use by an bug out from time to time anyway.

if anyone thinks a drivable location will be "private" and "secure" - think again - there's going to be people freeking everywhere >>> plenty heading out initially to their regular lake campsite or that "cute little cabin they rented a few years ago" ....

wouldn't plan on any public state/FED land that's an established camping ground - the private ones will turn to chaos eventually >>> even the regular community/school/church play & park areas will become shantytown camps ....

plenty of prepper ideas out there about having a rolling BOL using a RV of sorts - good luck - give it a few days and there won't be a road that isn't blockaded for one reason or another ....

if anyone thinks a drivable location will be "private" and "secure" - think again - there's going to be people freeking everywhere >>> plenty heading out initially to their regular lake campsite or that "cute little cabin they rented a few years ago" ....

wouldn't plan on any public state/FED land that's an established camping ground - the private ones will turn to chaos eventually >>> even the regular community/school/church play & park areas will become shantytown camps ....

plenty of prepper ideas out there about having a rolling BOL using a RV of sorts - good luck - give it a few days and there won't be a road that isn't blockaded for one reason or another ....

I know of one guy who thinks hordes of hardened survivors, packed in RVs, will come out of the cities, spread like locusts across the country side and take all those rural preppers things.

When I asked him if there was a "Hardened Survivor" only turnpike, fully manned gas stations, still taking CC/debit cards, service stations, and those fast food restaurants to get him and his hardened survivors out of the cities and to the rural areas, hundred or even a thousand miles away, his response was,
"They are already there!"

I know of one guy who thinks hordes of hardened survivors, packed in RVs, will come out of the cities, spread like locusts across the country side and take all those rural preppers things.

When I asked him if there was a "Hardened Survivor" only turnpike, fully manned gas stations, still taking CC/debit cards, service stations, and those fast food restaurants to get him and his hardened survivors out of the cities and to the rural areas, hundred or even a thousand miles away, his response was,
"They are already there!"
fantasy land, they wont get very far before they break down/ run out of fuel, I was always told you need about 4 times the amount of fuel you think you need because of slow moving traffic, blocked roads, detours and the rest.
most RV's are standing all year and only used a couple of weeks a year, unless regularly maintained, new tyres, new brakes, servicing etc, when they panic and go to use them they will be unfit for travel.

most RV's are standing all year and only used a couple of weeks a year, unless regularly maintained, new tyres, new brakes, servicing etc, when they panic and go to use them they will be unfit for travel.

guess this makes (or shall be) the difference between preppers and sheeps....

In the event of a mass evacuation, I'll be damned if I will join the gridlock and sit there like an idiot in a traffic jam. I would only join that fiasco and bug out if death by immobility is at hand. I guess I have that bunker mentality at my ripe old age - I will go down with the ranch. If it is a civil unrest situation I am more than prepared to defend the homestead. I am in a neighborhood where several of us are preppers with our own Neighborhood Watch group. If evacuation is imminent, we have a place to go in Wyoming, but that would be a helluva ordeal to travel from Ohio to Wyoming with whatever you can pack for the trip. If no gas stations open, what then? I'll take my chances at home rather than risk being caught up in in a clusterf*ck out on the open road.

As the hell breaks loose in the metro-city areas and the folks are looting because no CC/debit works any more, when the gas stations show signs of
"no fuel" or no fuel soon...each of us has to decide what time it is.
How near are you to the city limits?
How long can you go without getting gas/diesel?
How many vehicles and persons are going with you?
Weapons/protection?
How far is the BOL?
Can you use alternative routes and back roads? (4X4)?
Lots of questions which need to be answered NOW and not post-SHTF!!
I am at my BOL and will still bugout if needed. Short term, spontaneous decision will be the answer for me, and you all??
A main road runs through our town, we are in a farming area which the locusts and grasshoppers will come to beg, borrow, buy or STEAL what they cannot get in the city any more...I have a garden and am directly a target for thieves at night even if the food is not ready to harvest. Would not be easy to protect all our resources against a horde of hungry half human zombies looking for easy pickings.

Start thinking and planning into your already present preps and do like a few of my former contacts in Switzerland; they practice for 2-3 weeks a year_---go into the cellar, live on the older foodstocks, drink the canned water, cook on alcohol stoves, wear the same clothes for days, brush your teeth without toothpaste and swallow what was already in your mouth anyway!!just to save water....just use the emergency toilet and see how you get along with your family in a self-imposed quarantine in the closest quarters....live free, Gary

we have been in lock down in the UK for over a year albeit a few months reprieve summer 2020 before the infections got worse again.
that should have shown any prepper where their supplies are lacking
I live in a very rural area, several hundreds of miles from any sizeable city, I bugged out from a city 22 years ago and this is as far as I go.

Well said.

But how does one recognize when to bug out?
In 2016 how many anticipated that Trump would win, and stock up extra supplies, pulled their monies out of the stock market from the surprise (Note: I did both, bought the dip, did pretty dang good that year) or bug out in anticipation of a Dem meltdown/riot?
COVID19?
2020 election?
Is anyone bugging out now in anticipation of a inflation/hyperinflation situation and socio-economic collapse? Might not happen for a few months from now, but historically speaking, that is a very short fuse.

My opinion is, if you live in a bigger city, especially in a liberal area, the time to bug out is right now! Civil unrest, lawlessness, crime, is all going to get a lot worse and its been imploding for well over a year already. The implosion has begun and nothing is going to stop it IMO. With the ruling on the George Floyd case and knowing a few police officers personally I can say they are already informing the general public that they no longer will be putting there lively hood in danger by involving themselves in stopping violent crime. Do your job and risk going to prison. One police officer who is a good friend of mine and works in Seattle told me that criminals have been emboldened on an unbelievable scale! They know nobody wants to arrest them and now the sky is the limit! This shit show is going down now!

I really don't have the answers to how long rural America will hold on although I do have some theories. One thing is for certain, rural America will always be better than large liberal cities which have proved themselves beyond any doubt in the last year

I feel bad for people who live in a place where they may have to bug out. As Big Paul said you will be refugees. Maybe some government agency will help maybe not. What about radiation? What about a pandemic of something like ebola? What about no electricity for 6 months? A bug out bag is an effort. At least you are doing something. Good luck!

I feel bad for people who live in a place where they may have to bug out. As Big Paul said you will be refugees. Maybe some government agency will help maybe not. What about radiation? What about a pandemic of something like ebola? What about no electricity for 6 months? A bug out bag is an effort. At least you are doing something. Good luck!

Amen to what you said! I also feel bad for those who have zero intentions of leaving there bugout area for any reason. It would suck big time to have all your eggs in one basket and have that basket crumble. At that point your only option for survival might be to become a looter which you have already deemed that you yourself have the upper hand on! A trait of many preppers is that they firmly believe that they are smarter than most and everyone they will be defending themselves from will either be ignorant or possibly even deaf. If it ever 100% crumbles you could find yourself defending against bands of blue/ police officers, military personnel, hunters, or maybe even drones that hang out around 30,000 feet that are waiting to take out the first prepper who shoots an incoming looter because looters have rights.

From my perspective, being openly visible with all of your potential enemies whom you have zero knowledge of on your six, is just about the worst possible position to be in. When food runs short and supplies run low the number one target in the world will be to hit prepper locations. Where else are you going to find a huge stash of survival supplies. These people will be ran over like a Mack truck on a 30% downhill slope in a shit storm. No thanks

My opinion is, if you live in a bigger city, especially in a liberal area, the time to bug out is right now! Civil unrest, lawlessness, crime, is all going to get a lot worse and its been imploding for well over a year already. The implosion has begun and nothing is going to stop it IMO. With the ruling on the George Floyd case and knowing a few police officers personally I can say they are already informing the general public that they no longer will be putting there lively hood in danger by involving themselves in stopping violent crime. Do your job and risk going to prison. One police officer who is a good friend of mine and works in Seattle told me that criminals have been emboldened on an unbelievable scale! They know nobody wants to arrest them and now the sky is the limit! This shit show is going down now!

I really don't have the answers to how long rural America will hold on although I do have some theories. One thing is for certain, rural America will always be better than large liberal cities which have proved themselves beyond any doubt in the last year

One buffer we have going for us, is a very hostile winter.
Not a lot of people are going to be looking to come this way. We are known for 20ft + of snow a winter, single and even negative digits are not uncommon.
And, we are used to it.

Take a look at the current pipeline/fuel shortage.
Imagine if that went on for a month or more.
The cascading failure effects would be awesome and not in a good way.

Take a look at the current pipeline/fuel shortage.
Imagine if that went on for a month or more.
The cascading failure effects would be awesome and not in a good way.

My personal opinion is that the fuel shortage is by design and we are at the beginning throws of a Serious SHTF scenario. Next they will take away the food

Not a lot of people are going to be looking to come this way. We are known for 20ft + of snow a winter, single and even negative digits are not uncommon.
And, we are used to it.

Thats a great buffer. Weeds out 99.9% of the looters. If I was that far back in id personally keep most of my supplies in a hidden location within a mile of my bugout location. This way if looters ever did show up a person could simply give them your one week supply of food and they would leave and never come back! Never mind that you have a 5 year supply buried close by

And, we are used to it.
Right on! Several armies learned. "Never attack Russia if winter is coming".

Latest posts

Back