Bugout vehicle and trailer

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
What are y'all doing for bugout vehicle and shelter?

Heres mine

Building a 1 ton suburban

Dana 44 front 4:56 gears Detroit Locker
14 bolt FF rear Lockrite Locker
SM465, 205
36" Buckshot mudders
TBI350.....not a ton of power, but dependable

Cargo trailer Conversion

Attachments

• 0319201148_HDR.jpg
    0319201148_HDR.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 28
  • 1116191239a.jpg
    1116191239a.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 29
It seems to me there is a division among preppers. City-type preppers talk about bug out vehicles. Rural types do not. I always wonder if the guys who spend so much time and effort into a bug out vehicle actually have a place to bug up to? Isn't that the most important thing?

I am prepped to bug-in. The wife can't cope with leaving all this here to be looted or burned. I am also prepped to bug-out to many of the wilderness mountain and forested areas within 50 miles within a few hours. My 4X4 with 150 HP, the 22 ft camper trailer and needed food/supplies can be loaded within an hour. All filters, solar, generators, clothing, medicines and winter stuff fit into the car. The food, water, gas, laterns, tools, hunting/fishing and general "survival needs" all go into the trailer with enough camo paint
(black,brown and green) to make the trailer disappear into the woods. Water is over abundant and lots of animals too. How long we can make it? Who knows. Live, survive and come back to re-build? Hopefully. GP

I think those with the know how, capacity to make or modify existing vehicles have at least thought it out.

The question of "where to?" remains.

And of course, the question of fuel too.

If he has a pre-determined place that he owns or distant family and can get there, not a bad plan.
Of course, even the best made plans are only good till first contact.

I like the truck.

Why not be prepared to both bug in and bug out? I fully intend to stay bugged in however if a dangerous situation were to arise I will take my leave! The only thing of value in my home is me and my family members and our lives. In my little town we get snow storms of as much as three feet in one night and I need a bugout vehicle that will carry a lot of food and water plus make it thru whatever I need to should the situation arise! Will this situation arise? Probably not but hey, why chance being caught with my pants down when I don't have to.

Something to think about.......

Civil unrest, forest fires, earthquakes, volcanoes, rolling blackouts, tsunamis and other hazards happen all the time! If you are NOT set up to remove yourself from the impending danger with something that carries food, water, camping supplies, etc than your stuck moteling it and eating out if your not smack in the middle of a pandemic in which case you may have turned your options into government assistance to hopefully survive your ordeal! No Thank You!

Personally I have my own home as a bug in location, my brothers place that borders wilderness area as a bugout location for me, not him, further bugout locations if I walk into the wilderness, and am prepared to bug out on public lands around the country in the event of natural disasters that may effect my area! One of our biggest concerns in our area is forest fires that create smoke on a dangerous level. Another concern is the volcano that lies under yellow stone park deciding to wake up some day! Should that ever happen I would happily bug out. Civil unrest although I live in a rural area of low population is also a possibility and I plan to bug my family put to areas of the country that are calm depending on how intense the unrest may or may not become.

I fully intend to be prepared to bug in, and to bug out! Situational awareness and options

Bug in as long as possible and I will only be bugging out if needed, you can only take a limited supply of food ,water, meds and survival gear for that given season. If I have to bug out i have thought about some of the vast state game lands, in shtf I dont think the government will be worried about patrolling deep in the Forrest. That being said things would have to get bad , fast for that to happen.

Obviously we are talking about different types of problems. We need to prep for a passing event such as an electrical outage. This could be a longer term event in the case of a EMP event. A temporary disruption of food or water or civil unrest might fall into this category. This is where I am right now.

But for a total collapse of society, camping is not going to do the trick. You are going to need food, clothing, shelter, energy, weapons, communications on a level you have them now. This is going to take a homestead where you can grow at least part of your food and in a place you can defend from the mobs of "campers" who will pour into the countryside with no other planning than to have you support them.

My family as well, I was only talking hypothetically in shtf worst case about bugging out to the woods, I’m not talking about to the local park . I’m talking about 10 to 12 miles of very ruff terrain to get back in the Jocassee gorge where the average city slicker won’t go on a good day, must less spend nights with the bears, coyotes in total darkness. plenty of fresh water in those woods , fish and plenty of game.

The world would have to be in really bad shape for me to consider bugging out into the woods. The homestead here has most of the resources needed for survival and I would be hard pressed to abandon them. Very few situations would be bad enough for me to run. Likely a nuke plant melting down would be one of the few things to motivate me.

Actually i don't have an nice tacticool 4x4 offroad vehicle for bugout. First i try to stay with an bug in as long as possible. if i need really to escape i'll using my lil station wagon - enough space, prepared as i could, invisible because it's very decent. It should be good for the first miles, got an range of 600km with one gas filling. But it works only if the strees are free. And in my area (with an lot of mountains) you can use the streets - or the hiking trails, maybe the farm trails. For those ways i use my little motorbicycle with an "trailer":

1620028938421.jpeg

It was an common vehicle here by local farmers. Engine is an "optimized" 2 stroke, 2-speed, strong enough to pull me and an trailer with 50kg load to the mountains top. Small enough to find an place to hide everywhere and using paths where no cars can drive. Fast enough to reach 50km/h speed.

Of course an Chevy Suburban or similar or an Land Rover would be nice to have. But it won't bring you far away in my area. To leave the valley i'm living we got 2 streets / higways, waterway or a few hiking paths. This increases the chance such an vehicle would become an new owner (even you disagree) before you can bug out...

An bug out vehicle always should compare with the ways you can use.

bugging out in the UK just isnt possible, first ALL land is owned by someone so a confrontation would be inevitable.
secondly sure any fool can survive in the woods in the warm summer months but once the winter comes they will be dropping like flies, no plants growing and all the animals have hibernated or gone south and people will be permanently cold and soaking wet, and I cant see many modern women putting up with those conditions for long.
and lastly the British do not have a history of evacuating, even in war.

Why not be prepared to both bug in and bug out? I fully intend to stay bugged in however if a dangerous situation were to arise I will take my leave! The only thing of value in my home is me and my family members and our lives. In my little town we get snow storms of as much as three feet in one night and I need a bugout vehicle that will carry a lot of food and water plus make it thru whatever I need to should the situation arise! Will this situation arise? Probably not but hey, why chance being caught with my pants down when I don't have to.

Something to think about.......

Civil unrest, forest fires, earthquakes, volcanoes, rolling blackouts, tsunamis and other hazards happen all the time! If you are NOT set up to remove yourself from the impending danger with something that carries food, water, camping supplies, etc than your stuck moteling it and eating out if your not smack in the middle of a pandemic in which case you may have turned your options into government assistance to hopefully survive your ordeal! No Thank You!

Personally I have my own home as a bug in location, my brothers place that borders wilderness area as a bugout location for me, not him, further bugout locations if I walk into the wilderness, and am prepared to bug out on public lands around the country in the event of natural disasters that may effect my area! One of our biggest concerns in our area is forest fires that create smoke on a dangerous level. Another concern is the volcano that lies under yellow stone park deciding to wake up some day! Should that ever happen I would happily bug out. Civil unrest although I live in a rural area of low population is also a possibility and I plan to bug my family put to areas of the country that are calm depending on how intense the unrest may or may not become.

I fully intend to be prepared to bug in, and to bug out! Situational awareness and options
I like your idea of bug in, we have taken steps here that go a lil further, we have set up plans to protect our community, we have reg meetings to adjust our plan due to situations, we are a rural community and always take care of ourselves!!

Don't forget to bug-out at the right time folks...the main Highways will be closed to all traffic TFexcept the Military...the major roads will be jammed with the idiots trying to get away like every hurricane in Florida...the side roads will be jammed with the dummies who are trying to miss the traffic jams everywhere else...if you do NOT get out in time...YOU WILL BE BUGGING IN...
off road vehicles and 4x4 will be able get around certain jams in certain areas but not everywhere tho. If it even smells like S before it HTF, you better be already on the road and gone. Live free, Gary

Latest posts

Back