Bugout vehicle and trailer

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It shall be an vacation indeed. But a part of camping you can use for survival too, isn't it?

I tend to think of camping as a good trial run for possible bug out or if you had to bug out to your BOL. A long camping trip, with many miles in between camp locations, over different terrain. Also gives you an idea of what equipment you have works or does not work. The logistics involved. How physically fit you are. Big difference between thinking you can hike so many miles, with a 30 or 40lbs pack and actually doing it.

The devil is in the details. Logistics will dictate a reasonable course of action. Bugging out to an undetermined and unprepped location is simply delaying the inevitable disaster. A person / family cannot possibly carry / transport enough food, water, clothing and other necessary supplies to last long enough to get a garden established and food harvested. If there is not a site that is already prepped with enough supplies and equipment to last at least one year, then bugging out will be an exercise in futility. Prep where you are and be prepared to defend your place. If your place is not defendable, move now! JM2C

A so called bug out bag will increase you chances of survival for a few days... Hopefully you could survive long enough to get into a better situation.

Correct! Bob's also serve other purposes, like being a psychological commitment, an exercise in thinking and organizational skills. I also think that the prepper/survivalist ought also to put some effort into finding a few of those locations that are better and visiting them. When most people assemble a Bob they are thinking of TEOTWAWKI to a degree, of beating the zombie hoards out of the city, but to where?

Where will they go? What will they do when they get there? If they have no definite end-point to their travels they may as well just stay at home in many cases. That is why I think it is important also to research safe places and to actually go there and inspect the areas. To get maps of a region and seriously look at where one might retreat to, and then take a drive out there and inspect the location. Perhaps even bury a cache out there? In many instances a month or so should see the worst of many disasters pass. That's just my feelings on the matter anyway.

What a biased, one sided leftist propaganda.
Another statement based on a constant diet of info provided by sources that get paid to tell people what they want to hear.
So far, the rioters should have taken over about half of the country. The stock market should have crashed along with the economy. All of the cop shops and military bases should have been shut down. And most of all:
"Oh lawsy! They aren't protesters! They are rioters who have no reason to be out in the streets other than their desire to invade your neighborhoods, steal your rat dogs, and eat them while you watch!"
"Tune into Fox for more updates."
"And now a message from our sponsors who sell the best erectile dysfunction pills on the market. "
:)

Big difference between thinking you can hike so many miles, with a 30 or 40lbs pack and actually doing it.
Accepted wisdom mos says that we carry all this stuff but when I do a thought experiment I see myself tossing most of it along the way. I guess it all depends on the territory you are traveling through.

I thought about buying another trailer after I sold my featherlite toyhauler.. But I dont like the idea of being on public land. I feel more comfortable right here..

captur10.jpg

Accepted wisdom mos says that we carry all this stuff but when I do a thought experiment I see myself tossing most of it along the way. I guess it all depends on the territory you are traveling through.

Mine is seasonal.
I change out the clothing according to the time of year.

Read a book about hiking the Appalachian Trail. The author noted that within the first 10 miles of the trail head, people discard all kinds of things they thought they would need.

Mine is seasonal.
I change out the clothing according to the time of year.
Our climate is pretty mild and aside from a pair of jox and sox and a thin rain smock I have no cloths in it. I figue I'll bug out in what I'm wearing hey. I wrote a post once where I said that probably the most critical item of clothing is your footwear. Cloths can generally be had or improvised anywhere but not good fitting boots. I have a couple of pairs of Zamberlans that I wear, the mint black ones for funerals and weddings now, the other pair for anytime I'm out and not in work boots or motorcycle boots.

I have no flip-flops or open girly-boy shoes, only quality boots. Anyway, if you are in the habit of wearing them all the time then on the day you really need them you won't have to go looking for them, that's my thinking. I had a set of nice dress shoes for weddings but at the last one the F#@*&*g sole on one came un-glued and began to flop. They cost me hundreds and I have only worn then like 3 times. Never again!!! F#@* all fashion clothing and accessories I say.

Anyway to get back on topic, I own a trailer :)

Our climate is pretty mild and aside from a pair of jox and sox and a thin rain smock I have no cloths in it. I figue I'll bug out in what I'm wearing hey. I wrote a post once where I said that probably the most critical item of clothing is your footwear. Cloths can generally be had or improvised anywhere but not good fitting boots. I have a couple of pairs of Zamberlans that I wear, the mint black ones for funerals and weddings now, the other pair for anytime I'm out and not in work boots or motorcycle boots.

I have no flip-flops or open girly-boy shoes, only quality boots. Anyway, if you are in the habit of wearing them all the time then on the day you really need them you won't have to go looking for them, that's my thinking. I had a set of nice dress shoes for weddings but at the last one the F#@*&*g sole on one came un-glued and began to flop. They cost me hundreds and I have only worn then like 3 times. Never again!!! F#@* all fashion clothing and accessories I say.

Anyway to get back on topic, I own a trailer :)

Per my Marine Corps training: Three pairs of socks and underware. The pair you are wearing, previous days dirty pair, and tomorrows clean pair.
I keep a change of pants and a shirt in the BOB in a dry sack, adjusted to the season accordingly.
Our winters can be brutal, so cold weather gear is necessary.

I don't know what brutal is but it's 5-C outside at the moment here, slow combustion stove is keeping up nicely though. I actually have a bit of weight in mine and it aint food, it's gadgets and knife and paracord and all the stuff to keep you amused while you trek across the countryside. I recon a peek in one of those Appalachian Trail backpacks would be worth 1000 youtube videos on BOB's. They are almost a religion now, if you don't have this and you don't have that you are a heritic! :D

I don't know what brutal is but it's 5-C outside at the moment here, slow combustion stove is keeping up nicely though. I actually have a bit of weight in mine and it aint food, it's gadgets and knife and paracord and all the stuff to keep you amused while you trek across the countryside. I recon a peek in one of those Appalachian Trail backpacks would be worth 1000 youtube videos on BOB's. They are almost a religion now, if you don't have this and you don't have that you are a heritic! :D

Imagine a few days waking up to -17C, with a few below even that. The high, -13C.
We average 609cm of snow a winter.

Imagine a few days waking up to -17C, with a few below even that. The high, -13C.
We average 609cm of snow a winter.
Yeah, that's brutal :rolleyes:
I imagine you are geared up for it, under normal conditions, but take away the electricity, the supermarkets and the gasoline and it's another story hey. At least you wouldn't need a freezer in winter Mos. You can call me bb by the way lol.

When you step back and look at it, well when I do, I see all this government control and I don't really see evil men twisting their mustaches in fine dining rooms. I see a group of people whose first priority is their profits and their second as keeping the source of those profits, us, alive. Certainly they know the dislocations that will come about with the ongoing depletion of fossil fuels and the inevitable collapse of all the infrastructure we have built with them. We see the decay all around us.

They will know the social upheaval this will lead to, they must have a plan to deal with it and that plan couldn't work without strict social control. Without such control it would be every man and woman for themselves, the zombie apocalypse scenario that is often cited. I have no love for government but compared with the last 5000 years of history, what we have now is pretty benign. I won't comply with much of it but I will be happy to see 99% of the population do just that.

Yeah, that's brutal :rolleyes:
I imagine you are geared up for it, under normal conditions, but take away the electricity, the supermarkets and the gasoline and it's another story hey. At least you wouldn't need a freezer in winter Mos. You can call me bb by the way lol.

When you step back and look at it, well when I do, I see all this government control and I don't really see evil men twisting their mustaches in fine dining rooms. I see a group of people whose first priority is their profits and their second as keeping the source of those profits, us, alive. Certainly they know the dislocations that will come about with the ongoing depletion of fossil fuels and the inevitable collapse of all the infrastructure we have built with them. We see the decay all around us.

They will know the social upheaval this will lead to, they must have a plan to deal with it and that plan couldn't work without strict social control. Without such control it would be every man and woman for themselves, the zombie apocalypse scenario that is often cited. I have no love for government but compared with the last 5000 years of history, what we have now is pretty benign. I won't comply with much of it but I will be happy to see 99% of the population do just that.

A few years ago, the blower on the wood stove died. I woke up from a dead sleep to the smell of ozone and knew immediately what happened.
Took a day for the repair guy to come out, 2 days for the part to come in, and another day to get it installed.
The house got down to 40F.
We did have a back up, small pellet stove. But we replaced that the following year with a small wood stove.
2 years ago we replaced the main wood stove with a new one.
You are right though, without electricity it would be a challenge.
But none of my Amish neighbors have died from the cold.

I have worked with the government in the past. Most are people just trying to do their job, get their paycheck, take care of their families, live life.
There are some with their own agendas. But watching some of their actions or inactions or just plain failures, they are not nearly as competent as Hollywood would have you believe.

Latest posts

Back