Bugout vehicle and trailer

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thats a great buffer. Weeds out 99.9% of the looters. If I was that far back in id personally keep most of my supplies in a hidden location within a mile of my bugout location. This way if looters ever did show up a person could simply give them your one week supply of food and they would leave and never come back! Never mind that you have a 5 year supply buried close by
I may be inclined to give them a several second supply of lead and copper. Good idea though!

We all see that each of us has their own info, decisions, plans, fears and strengths....

Much of it is what is called "situational bias." Many are biased by their own personal situation, and then apply that to others.
I know of one "survivalist" who is of the opinion that food is everywhere to be found, if you are like him, and know where to look. Based off his postings he lives in a very moderate climate where food can be found in abundance year round. Come up to the more Northern latitudes, not the case especially in winter. Based off the tracks I have seen or lack there of, there is not nearly enough rabbits, hare, or field mice to sustain us.
So we have to prep for that.
I tell people, if I can reach out and put my hand on it, be it rabbit in the hutch, chicken in the coop, goat or cow in the barn, veggies/potatoes in the garden, that is a sure thing.
Laying out a dozen traps and hoping to get two or three rabbits every day is too dependent on chance. Kinda like playing the Powerball. I would not want to chance either to my long term survival.

I tell people, if I can reach out and put my hand on it, be it rabbit in the hutch, chicken in the coop, goat or cow in the barn, veggies/potatoes in the garden, that is a sure thing.
Laying out a dozen traps and hoping to get two or three rabbits every day is too dependent on chance. Kinda like playing the Powerball. I would not want to chance either to my long term survival.
Well said and right on target. We all have different ideas, theories and plans. We each have his/her/its own experiences and lessons. We all have to adapt no matter where we decide to live after the SHTF and will be self-sufficient. If it does not work...it is your own fault. If it does work it is STILL your fault...

Well said and right on target. We all have different ideas, theories and plans. We each have his/her/its own experiences and lessons. We all have to adapt no matter where we decide to live after the SHTF and will be self-sufficient. If it does not work...it is your own fault. If it does work it is STILL your fault...

That made me chuckle.

I try to look at different historical events, empires failing, what are the lessons learned.
Also my experience in Afghanistan, the third world of third worlds. What to see what post-SHTF looks like, spend some time there.
Thing is, it has been that way for so long, it is the normal for them. Possible conflicts between tribes are a daily possibility. Only having electricity for a few hours a day or at all, they call that everyday. The government down in Kabul can say, or pass whatever law they want. The local tribal leader (aka warlord), has the real say.

Also my experience in Afghanistan, the third world of third worlds.
Until someone learns such experiences...they will never understand OR be able to cope with a near-miss situation themselves when it happens. Some go there and other places and cannot cope with it already, EVEN THO they know they will be rotating back to the US if they survive and LIFE will be NORMAL again. LIVING WITH DEATH is an experience that MANY cannot and will never be able to cope with.
Trying to explain that to someone who was never there...is like a woman trying to explain to a man what it is like having a baby!! Live free, Gary

Come up to the more Northern latitudes, not the case especially in winter. Based off the tracks I have seen or lack there of, there is not nearly enough rabbits,
There are many other critters to trap for food besides rabbits. Beaver, muskrat, coon, bobcat and porkeypine are all good to eat. If you have water in your area fish and crawfish can easily be trapped. Deer can also be easily trapped or snared. I've been trapping for over 50 years, and have trapped from the Alaska arctic to several lower 48 states and have always found good numbers of animals that provide both fur and food. If you dont see much rabbit sign in your area, maybe you have a lot of feral cats or dogs running around, or a high Asian population? All can wipe out a lot of rabbits over a large area. Some types of rabbits run in a boom/bust cycle too.

My opinion is, if you live in a bigger city, especially in a liberal area, the time to bug out is right now! Civil unrest, lawlessness, crime, is all going to get a lot worse and its been imploding for well over a year already. The implosion has begun and nothing is going to stop it IMO. With the ruling on the George Floyd case and knowing a few police officers personally I can say they are already informing the general public that they no longer will be putting there lively hood in danger by involving themselves in stopping violent crime. Do your job and risk going to prison. One police officer who is a good friend of mine and works in Seattle told me that criminals have been emboldened on an unbelievable scale! They know nobody wants to arrest them and now the sky is the limit! This shit show is going down now!

I really don't have the answers to how long rural America will hold on although I do have some theories. One thing is for certain, rural America will always be better than large liberal cities which have proved themselves beyond any doubt in the last year
If your local law enforcement starts telling people that they won't do their jobs, then those are the guys you don't need anyway, probably because they spaz out under pressure and start shooting people.
That said, Chauvin got screwed, but it wasn't Floyd who did it. The case should have been in a different venue, but the judge who wanted the notoriety wouldn't allow it. His lawyer was a goof who based his defense on the belief that the jurors shouldn't believe what they saw on the videos, and that never works. The cop was 5'8" and weighed about 140, and definitely wasn't very muscular. Floyd was 6'5" and weighed around 250 and was very muscular and stoned on meth and Fentanyl. The cop was trying to hog wrestle Floyd into the back of one of those little SUVs that cop shops all over the country started buying because dealers make a fortune on them and some of that money gets kicked back to the people who approve the buy. Check the videos of the cops trying to get Floyd into the backseat of that thing. If they'd folded him in half and turned him sideways he wouldn't have fit.
When they couldn't get Floyd into the car, they put him on the ground and called in a wagon. Even the EMT who testified against Chauvin said that it was almost inconceivable that it took ten minutes for the wagon to arrive since there was a station TWO MINUTES from where Floyd was being detained. If he'd been stabbed or shot, he'd have bled to death before an ambulance showed up. For ten minutes, Chauvin was trying to control Floyd while a dozen people screamed curses and threats at him. The prosecution claimed that the onlookers were just concerned, but Chauvin's lawyer never asked them why they were screaming, cursing, and approaching Chavin, who took out his pepper spray to try and keep them away. He was handling the situation the way he was trained to handle it, but time ran out while waiting for an ambulance, and the guy died. When the medical examiner was questioned, he said that if Floyd's body was examined under normal circumstances, his cause of death would been have listed as an overdose, considering how much dope was in his blood.
When Chauvin's superior testified against him, Chauvin's lawyer didn't grill him about exactly how he would have handled the incident differently.
The lawyer should have brought in a 6'5" 250lb NFL lineman and had him stand next to 5'8" 140lb Chauvin so the jury could see what it was like for him to control the guy while three rookies stood around and waited to be told what to do next and a dozen people cursed and threatened him.
Chauvin got screwed, but it was the cops, judge, and DA that did the screwing, and now he's looking at what is essentially a life sentence. They sacrificed him so they wouldn't look incompetent.
Protesters had nothing to do with it.

If your local law enforcement starts telling people that they won't do their jobs, then those are the guys you don't need anyway, probably because they spaz out under pressure and start shooting people.
That said, Chauvin got screwed, but it wasn't Floyd who did it. The case should have been in a different venue, but the judge who wanted the notoriety wouldn't allow it. His lawyer was a goof who based his defense on the belief that the jurors shouldn't believe what they saw on the videos, and that never works. The cop was 5'8" and weighed about 140, and definitely wasn't very muscular. Floyd was 6'5" and weighed around 250 and was very muscular and stoned on meth and Fentanyl. The cop was trying to hog wrestle Floyd into the back of one of those little SUVs that cop shops all over the country started buying because dealers make a fortune on them and some of that money gets kicked back to the people who approve the buy. Check the videos of the cops trying to get Floyd into the backseat of that thing. If they'd folded him in half and turned him sideways he wouldn't have fit.
When they couldn't get Floyd into the car, they put him on the ground and called in a wagon. Even the EMT who testified against Chauvin said that it was almost inconceivable that it took ten minutes for the wagon to arrive since there was a station TWO MINUTES from where Floyd was being detained. If he'd been stabbed or shot, he'd have bled to death before an ambulance showed up. For ten minutes, Chauvin was trying to control Floyd while a dozen people screamed curses and threats at him. The prosecution claimed that the onlookers were just concerned, but Chauvin's lawyer never asked them why they were screaming, cursing, and approaching Chavin, who took out his pepper spray to try and keep them away. He was handling the situation the way he was trained to handle it, but time ran out while waiting for an ambulance, and the guy died. When the medical examiner was questioned, he said that if Floyd's body was examined under normal circumstances, his cause of death would been have listed as an overdose, considering how much dope was in his blood.
When Chauvin's superior testified against him, Chauvin's lawyer didn't grill him about exactly how he would have handled the incident differently.
The lawyer should have brought in a 6'5" 250lb NFL lineman and had him stand next to 5'8" 140lb Chauvin so the jury could see what it was like for him to control the guy while three rookies stood around and waited to be told what to do next and a dozen people cursed and threatened him.
Chauvin got screwed, but it was the cops, judge, and DA that did the screwing, and now he's looking at what is essentially a life sentence. They sacrificed him so they wouldn't look incompetent.
Protesters had nothing to do with it.

you should stick to your own backyard >>> you haven't a single clue about how the US black RIOTING - NOT protesting - affects the politics and then the courts & legal system ....

that trial was 100% lynching - just a farce for the naive sheeple whites >>> like the naive Jews in pre-war Europe - they thought the hanging rope was for the other Jews ....

as for Officer Chauvin - he's already a free man - that lynching won't stand up in TRUE US JUSTICE >>> after the blacks move on to their next exalted POS street thug - there'll be a quiky court review and the entire set of charges for ALLLLL the officers just goes away >>>> please review Baltimore and that injustice

riot and burn up the Walgreens and you can screw over a cop - eazy peaszy

Last edited:
you should stick to your own backyard >>> you haven't a single clue about how the US black RIOTING - NOT protesting - affects the politics and then the courts & legal system ....

that trial was 100% lynching - just a farce for the naive sheeple whites >>> like the naive Jews in pre-war Europe - they thought the hanging rope was for the other Jews ....

as for Officer Chauvin - he's already a free man - that lynching won't stand up in TRUE US JUSTICE >>> after the blacks move on to their next exalted POS street thug - there'll be a quiky court review and the entire set of charges for ALLLLL the officers just goes away >>>> please review Baltimore and that injustice

riot and burn up the Walgreens and you can screw over a cop - eazy peaszy
I went to several of those protests, did you? Compare the protests that started out with the cops telling the protesters that they were free to protest, but if they started breaking the law the would be arrested, with the protests that started out with the idiot cops cracking heads to show that they were in charge. Inevitably the protesters fought back, and while the idiot cops and protesters were fighting, the looters-who were the smartest people involved in each incident-started robbing and then burning to cover their activities.
Remember when the cops shoved an old man down and cracked his skull to show how tough they were? The old guy was about as threatening as my grandma. How about when one of Trump's vaunted storm troopers decided to beat on a Navy vet who was standing on the side of the road shooting a video with his phone. When the vet didn't scream and beg, Barney Fife called one of his pals over to help him beat on the guy, while other cops were dragging 100 lb women into unmarked cars. When the protesters fought back, the cops lasted about a day until they decided that they had better things to do.
Compare those "riots" with the BLM protest in Kentucky, yes Mitch McConnell land, where the protesters brought their own security detail made up of large Black men who were armed with rifles and side arms. The cops had their riot gear, but when the saw the security detail, they decided to huddle up like kittens trying to maintain communal warmth, while the protest went off peacefully, followed by the protesters going home.
Compare that to the cops who saw two young girls driving to get a burger, and responded by breaking out their windows, pepper spraying them, and arresting them.
Most cop shops perform well if the community needs some guys to park on the side of the road and pass out tickets to people who are driving 47 in a 45 zone. Anything more demanding than that, and their strategy often becomes, "scream loudly and go beat some people up."
In the Chauvin case, if the judges, DAs, and head cops screwed Chauvin, it wasn't because they were afraid of a protest in Portland, it was because they were afraid of getting the boot in the next election, and protesters didn't cause their weak character.
Stop getting your information on Fox or some other political propaganda machine, or you're just as worthless as the guys who screwed Chauvin.

I went to several of those protests, did you? Compare the protests that started out with the cops telling the protesters that they were free to protest, but if they started breaking the law the would be arrested, with the protests that started out with the idiot cops cracking heads to show that they were in charge. Inevitably the protesters fought back, and while the idiot cops and protesters were fighting, the looters-who were the smartest people involved in each incident-started robbing and then burning to cover their activities.
Remember when the cops shoved an old man down and cracked his skull to show how tough they were? The old guy was about as threatening as my grandma. How about when one of Trump's vaunted storm troopers decided to beat on a Navy vet who was standing on the side of the road shooting a video with his phone. When the vet didn't scream and beg, Barney Fife called one of his pals over to help him beat on the guy, while other cops were dragging 100 lb women into unmarked cars. When the protesters fought back, the cops lasted about a day until they decided that they had better things to do.
Compare those "riots" with the BLM protest in Kentucky, yes Mitch McConnell land, where the protesters brought their own security detail made up of large Black men who were armed with rifles and side arms. The cops had their riot gear, but when the saw the security detail, they decided to huddle up like kittens trying to maintain communal warmth, while the protest went off peacefully, followed by the protesters going home.
Compare that to the cops who saw two young girls driving to get a burger, and responded by breaking out their windows, pepper spraying them, and arresting them.
Most cop shops perform well if the community needs some guys to park on the side of the road and pass out tickets to people who are driving 47 in a 45 zone. Anything more demanding than that, and their strategy often becomes, "scream loudly and go beat some people up."
In the Chauvin case, if the judges, DAs, and head cops screwed Chauvin, it wasn't because they were afraid of a protest in Portland, it was because they were afraid of getting the boot in the next election, and protesters didn't cause their weak character.
Stop getting your information on Fox or some other political propaganda machine, or you're just as worthless as the guys who screwed Chauvin.

What a biased, one sided leftist propaganda.

Back to the subject of this thread. I believe that basing your preps on bugging in is wrong because, in my opinion, most sustained emergencies result in food shortages. C19 wasn't a SHTF event, but remember when the grocery stores had empty shelves and you couldn't buy masks or gloves? That was caused by JIT supply chains, which exist in most aspects of a consumer economy. Gas, food, toilet paper, auto parts, you name it and the supply chain is JIT.
The reason that JIT is a threat to bugging in is that when the food is gone, and your fat governor and his fat wife and kids hear their bellies growl, the gov is going to his fat friends in the legislature, whose bellies are also growling, to ask them to pass an "anti hoarding" bill. When the bill passes, the fat, hungry members your county commission and city council will pass similar ordinances. None of those actions mean anything until a fat, hungry judge issues search warrants that are executed by your local cop shops.
At that point, you'll have the choice of either letting the cops take your food, or shooting it out with them. Remember during the early stages of C19 when cops discovered that some people had stocked up with masks, gloves, and other preps, and by deeming these people "hoarders" the cops took their preps for the use of themselves and other "first responders?" When the government leaches get hungry, anyone with food will also be judged a hoarder. It's a case of move it or lose it.
Anyone who believes that the government is going to protect you during an emergency must be living in a cave, or you'd remember how the government responded when one guy from China flew into the US with a case of killer flu. First, Trump and his pals at Fox said that there was only one guy and there was no threat. Then they said that there was only a dozen infected, but they were quarantined. By the time people couldn't find a mask or gloves, and a million were infected and hospitals were overflowing, they said that the disease would blow away like a stale fart. For me, my stores of masks, gloves and other PPE were justified when I saw Trump slinking off to Marine One to get some of that free government healthcare that he claimed no one needed after he caught COVID.
If a serious SHTF event occurs, and food gets scarce, my strategy, in military parlance, will be to grab my shit and git. With my cranes, trailer and truck, I can load three tons of supplies, including 500 lbs each of beans and rice and everything else I need to live for at least a year, in about thirty minutes. I won't be running from "looters," I'll be running from the laziest people on earth: government employees.
Just my opinion.

It'
It seems to me there is a division among preppers. City-type preppers talk about bug out vehicles. Rural types do not. I always wonder if the guys who spend so much time and effort into a bug out vehicle actually have a place to bug up to? Isn't that the most important thing?
It's the age old question and has never had a satisfactory answer. All the city preppers bug out to the country towns and the country town folk (preppers included) give them the bums' rush. As for living in the wilderness with a BOB, well that's just a joke.

A so called bug out bag will increase you chances of survival for a few days. That is why there is a survival kit in every one of my cars. Hopefully you could survive long enough to get into a better situation. It would be a mistake to think you could live to be old with what you can carry. Unless its gold or diamonds.

Latest posts

Back