Bugging in at my penthouse apartment HELP?

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaratapp

Reaction score
G'day fellow Preppers,

I recently obtain residence in a seaside penthouse apartment and wondered if anyone had some practical tips for setting it up as a bug in location. I have able room to grow food with 40 m2 of open air and sun space but am not sure on the best method to grow food. I currently own many knives and a compound bow for defense and hunting. What's the next step?

I would take a look at some of the vertical gardening techniques, you can grow an insane amount of vegetables in a really small area with the right set up.

Being near the ocean is a big plus, I'd get ahold of some fishing gear and extra tackle. There's always food to catch near the water, crabs, birds, fish, maybe shellfish. I'd definitely make sure you have a way to cook and stay warm without electricity. Portable water is a big one too as water doesn't flow uphill. You can set up container gardens pretty easily, and if you learn to can you can preserve food for the off seasons.

I live in a condominium in the city although I don't have the same open space you have, just a plantbox.

Water would be critical. Foodwise, you can grow your own and use the various techniques. Hydroponics can be a good option for growing food.

I would also consider owning CQC/CQB weapons since a compound bow would be hard to use in a tight hallway

Question, do you have any type of escape route from the top ? You need a back door, sounds like you are pinned in at the top.

First, you need to assess the challenges.
For typical survival, you already have the shelter, so next are water, food, and defense.

DEFENSE - Knives are ok, but you need firearms.
WATER - As some said, a way to collect rainwater is great, plus some stored water, and look into desalinization for the ocean water (there are some simple ways to do this).
FOOD - Store food, and as some said, there are vertical gardening techniques as well. Thing is, is your lifestyle going to grant you the time needed to tend to gardens?

Another challenge, NEIGHBORS. How close, how many? If the SHTF, they will be looking around. For you, keeping your preps a secret may be even more paramount.

The big elephant in the room, LOCATION. Ocean-front locations aren't exactly ideal for many natural disaster scenarios. Just how dangerous is your area?

As stated above, alternate escape routes - from a simple rope to an escape ladder (rope style), this can also be used to get in if your primary entrance is unavailable - not just from ground to the top but maybe from floor to floor, zig-zagging your way up or down. Along with having more than one firearm (CQB types but I'd also have a medium range rifle that can hold potential threats at bay), I'd also consider ways to boobytrap and alarm your ingress/egress routes - especially the obvious ones as there will be many who want what you have. You can always use deadfall and pendulum style traps along with punji types hidden in light rubble made of household items such as steak knives but you need the hardware to construct these like paracord, duct tape and zip ties. A lot of your safety depends on if you plan to be alone or will have the help of friends/family? Will you have someone to be a lookout (from your vantage point, a good spotting scope or binoculars)? Remember, if the world goes to shit, nothing will be fun and it will be extremely stressful so spreading the work will help immensely. Finally, if you plan to grow food, start now. When the SHTF, it will still be weeks, even months until you have anything edible. Considering this, you'd want to have a good stash until you figure out how to create a sustainable food supply. Good luck.

I live in a condominium in the city although I don't have the same open space you have, just a plantbox.

Water would be critical. Foodwise, you can grow your own and use the various techniques. Hydroponics can be a good option for growing food.

I would also consider owning CQC/CQB weapons since a compound bow would be hard to use in a tight hallway
CQ= close quarter for those of you who do not know.

I think you might want to look into getting a sailing boat. One of the advantages of the ocean is its very wide so unlike highways and roads its an escape route that isn't going to be clogged up during a disaster. Sailing also doesn't take up any gasoline.

Sailing's also fun in a non-disaster situation. Then the next thing is portable desalination equipment, maybe learn how to fish.

Then all your going to have to worry about is the disaster itself (tsunami) taking out your boat...

I think you might want to look into getting a sailing boat. One of the advantages of the ocean is its very wide so unlike highways and roads its an escape route that isn't going to be clogged up during a disaster. Sailing also doesn't take up any gasoline.

Sailing's also fun in a non-disaster situation. Then the next thing is portable desalination equipment, maybe learn how to fish.

Then all your going to have to worry about is the disaster itself (tsunami) taking out your boat...
Great advice, not only is it a good prep, but as you said, sailing is a blast.

And in a real end of the world as we know it scenario, maybe you could become a travelling merchant. Historically the oceans have always been the safer choice for transporting goods from on place to another.

There's always the potential for pirates, but there not nearly as much of a danger as bandits.

pirates/bandits are still real bad these days..they go after cargo ocean liners mostly.the reason i know this.is because i watched a documentary about it not long ago.and some of them are well organized enough where they are able to get on and take control of the ones with cargo containers

pirates/bandits are still real bad these days..they go after cargo ocean liners mostly.the reason i know this.is because i watched a documentary about it not long ago.and some of them are well organized enough where they are able to get on and take control of the ones with cargo containers
I haven't seen it but Tom hanks just did the movie captain something, based on a real life story of the Somali pirates that held a ship for ransom. Looked like it was pretty good, and is on my list.

prepping from your penthouse should really be done step by step.

first you have to take stock of what you have. You have many knives and a compound bow. So thats a good base to start from.

Next, you need to identify stuff around your home. Food from the ocean? check. Water from the ocean? need a desalination machine/method for this.

The important things in a SHTF scenario are

1. Shelter (done)
2. Food/Water - look into stuff like freeze dried/canned food. Remember to rotate FnB every now and then. Buy stuff you will eat.
3. Hygiene - I know alot of people don't believe in this? Toilet Paper, Sanitary Napkins (for the women-folk), soap ...
4. Defence (somewhat done)
5. Tools (you need a can opener to open your cans and maybe spares in case they break)

blah blah blah...

What you should also do, is read up on this sites and others online and find preps YOU are comfortable doing and at YOUR own pace.

I'm doing something which some don't consider important, I'm preparing a 2 week recipe book with stuff I'm storing, coz the missus is a picky eater and wouldn't touch certain things with a 10foot pole. So what I prep has to include stuff she eats, at least for the first 2 weeks or so.

I haven't seen it but Tom hanks just did the movie captain something, based on a real life story of the Somali pirates that held a ship for ransom. Looked like it was pretty good, and is on my list.
I have heard about plenty of the pirate stories in the Gulf, especially around the Mexico waters. Haven't seen the Tom Hanks movie that dealt with the Somali pirates either, only heard about the news reports, but I haven't really watched any Tom Hanks movies for a few years now. I don't go to the movies for any actor, but Tom Hanks in general (as in personal life) has gotten so far fetched these days, but that is my opinion. In my younger days I loved Hank in past movies. . . Splash, Forest Gump, The Green Mile, You've Got Mail, Toy Story, Apollo 13. . . (he voted for Obama not just once, but twice)

yeah myrrph,it pays to locate recipes that a picky eater will eat..and at the same time.i hope thier recipes you'll eat as well..

I have heard about plenty of the pirate stories in the Gulf, especially around the Mexico waters. Haven't seen the Tom Hanks movie that dealt with the Somali pirates either, only heard about the news reports, but I haven't really watched any Tom Hanks movies for a few years now. I don't go to the movies for any actor, but Tom Hanks in general (as in personal life) has gotten so far fetched these days, but that is my opinion. In my younger days I loved Hank in past movies. . . Splash, Forest Gump, The Green Mile, You've Got Mail, Toy Story, Apollo 13. . . (he voted for Obama not just once, but twice)
yeah he did alot of really good stuff over the years. I really dont follow any specific actors either, i guess it depends on wether the subject grabs my attention. i am looking fowards to the hobbit 2 as am a huge fan of the book and sci fi, will probably see that this weekend. wish you and yours a happy new year.

yeah he did alot of really good stuff over the years. I really dont follow any specific actors either, i guess it depends on wether the subject grabs my attention. i am looking fowards to the hobbit 2 as am a huge fan of the book and sci fi, will probably see that this weekend. wish you and yours a happy new year.
Being a Tolkien fan myself, I didn't find The Hobbit 2 in the same level as the other Lord of The Rings movies. Was kinda frustrated although the action was pretty good.

yeah myrrph,it pays to locate recipes that a picky eater will eat..and at the same time.i hope thier recipes you'll eat as well..

fortunately i eat almost anything except ginger. she is the troublesome one.. lol

Latest posts

Back