Bug out to woods FAIL

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bairleafarm

Reaction score
Once a month or so i bug out to the woods. Mainly so my 6 yo can make it to a place where i have supplies stored. He may be my life line at some point. Anywho we always build some type of shelter and fire. We have had hard heavy rains recently. In fact it was pouring when we went yesterday. i tried everything under the sun to get a fire going. In fact i burned everything i had that was flammable in our bobs. O well better luck next time.

Once a month or so i bug out to the woods. Mainly so my 6 yo can make it to a place where i have supplies stored. He may be my life line at some point. Anywho we always build some type of shelter and fire. We have had hard heavy rains recently. In fact it was pouring when we went yesterday. i tried everything under the sun to get a fire going. In fact i burned everything i had that was flammable in our bobs. O well better luck next time.
That''s cool that you are doing this regardless of the weather. Your son will be one hell of a prepper when he is older.

Yeah, its nice having someone there to tend the fire while im doing other things. He cant grasp the concept of eotwawki but he halfway understands prepping

I like seeing others raising their kids up to know how to live. I don't know if I worded that right or not, but I see so many kids nowadays that couldn't find their way out of an open paper sack let alone tend a fire.

Hes one of a few 6yos that knows how to slaughter a chicken. Strength is the only thinks hes lacking. The knowledge is there and muscle will come with age.

Both of my girls learned skills early on as well. Our youngest is 12 and she started deer hunting a few years back and had pretty good luck with it this year (2 does). Other than needing help hauling the deer out and getting it hung up, she takes care of the skinning and butchering herself.

220px-Esbit.jpg
Have you tried the esbits fuel tabs, pretty small and travel well in a BOB. 1 tablet will boil a cup of water.

Both of my girls learned skills early on as well. Our youngest is 12 and she started deer hunting a few years back and had pretty good luck with it this year (2 does). Other than needing help hauling the deer out and getting it hung up, she takes care of the skinning and butchering herself.
She is ahead of me! I haven't a clue as to how to skin and butcher a deer! Not many of them around where I love!

Cotton balls soaked in hand sanitizer is supposed to burn pretty good, don't know, haven't tried it myself. Pouring paraffin or other wax over dryer lint makes a pretty good fire starter. We usually skip the wax when we're starting a fire here in the house. Bottom branches of cedars usually stay pretty dry and burn pretty good if you get the dead ones.

steel wool and 9 volt battery, fat wood and anything that sparks. ok I was forced to take vacation or lose it, so im taking the 19- 25 off, leaving when i get off at 5pm the 18. going to detroit lake here in oregon with my 13 yr old daughter and 14 yrs old grand daughter and a couple friends from work and thier kid. going to be doing some training fire shelter water purify. I State again MMS from ebay great water purify, and it seem to bring down swelling when i have a gout flare up.

Cotton balls soaked in hand sanitizer is supposed to burn pretty good, don't know, haven't tried it myself. Pouring paraffin or other wax over dryer lint makes a pretty good fire starter. We usually skip the wax when we're starting a fire here in the house. Bottom branches of cedars usually stay pretty dry and burn pretty good if you get the dead ones.
Yep you are right, My fire kit includes cotton balls with vasiline, dryer lint, esbit, two lighters, flint& steel. Oh and i just added a mag bar. If i can't get a fire going with that, Well just shoot me. PLEASE

steel wool and 9 volt battery, fat wood and anything that sparks. ok I was forced to take vacation or lose it, so im taking the 19- 25 off, leaving when i get off at 5pm the 18. going to detroit lake here in oregon with my 13 yr old daughter and 14 yrs old grand daughter and a couple friends from work and thier kid. going to be doing some training fire shelter water purify. I State again MMS from ebay great water purify, and it seem to bring down swelling when i have a gout flare up.
Hey have you been to the leatherman factory ?

My son is in the background. Today was a better day. It's been raining for days but has been dry the last two days and is 60* today. Fire starting was a success.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1362857691125.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1362857691125.jpg
    196.4 KB · Views: 11

A small kindle bag with some birch bark, that you find on the ground wood shps etc.. can help with starting a fire.

In regard to finding famable material during rain, not going to work much unless you find a sheltered area such as making a wood pile that you put under a waterrestistant leanto.

However a simple popcan burner and a bottle of hard liqour should be enough to have the ability to cook and warm yourself.

Also if you have something to make wood strips you can chop wood in half and use the inner part of the wood for the fire discarding the water soaked part.

This while drying the damp/wet wood next to the fire.

In an emergency if you see a birch or like tree, you can go under the top layer. Birchbark is more or less waterproof so wood underit will be dry.

Pine and cedar branches also with the needle etc.. go up right easy and don't absorb water much. Even sap is flamable..

A small kindle bag with some birch bark, that you find on the ground wood shps etc.. can help with starting a fire.

In regard to finding famable material during rain, not going to work much unless you find a sheltered area such as making a wood pile that you put under a waterrestistant leanto.

However a simple popcan burner and a bottle of hard liqour should be enough to have the ability to cook and warm yourself.

Also if you have something to make wood strips you can chop wood in half and use the inner part of the wood for the fire discarding the water soaked part.

This while drying the damp/wet wood next to the fire.

In an emergency if you see a birch or like tree, you can go under the top layer. Birchbark is more or less waterproof so wood underit will be dry.

Pine and cedar branches also with the needle etc.. go up right easy and don't absorb water much. Even sap is flamable..

This is how I learned to make a fire in the rain while growing up! Too bad Birch trees don't really grow in my part of Oklahoma. :(

I would not take MMS if I were you... Maybe I am misunderstanding and you only use it for water purification, but it sounds like you are saying you are taking it orally to treat gout. That is a very bad idea seeing as MMS is pretty much concentrated bleach once it hits your stomach acid.

My wife saves all the lint from the dryer and mixes melted wax with the lint. She then pours it in fiber egg cartons and lets it cool. I cut the cartons up in little blocks and stash it in my pack, ATV and vehicles. It always starts a good fire.

Latest posts

Back