Bug out in a SUV what whould you have in your car?

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChancesR

Reaction score
I want to make a list of things to get or have ready in an emergency ... what should I add to my list? I am in the Houston Area and will bug out to Denton TX or all the way to OK. I have family in AL so I may go there... I need Maps that's is a given, CB since I will be leading more than one SUV, and all papers and medicines my family needs... what would you have in your car if leaving on a long trip out of the area in an emergency?

The GHB is pretty much loose in the back seat.
The clothes, boots, and other stuff is under the back seat or behind it (quite a bit of room behind the seat).
The extra gas cans are only when going on a trip, and those are bungeed under the cargo net. I don't normally carry them.
Pistol and Ammo is in the center console.

GHB (Get Home Bag, or BOB)
Get Home Clothes (change of clothes, with lots of pockets, already loaded with GHB items)
Hiking Boots (to change into from work shoes)
Pistol/Ammo
Copies of Important Papers, Maps (in plastic bag)
Tarp (8'x10' Green, Medium Duty, usually for covering loads, but will take with me if leaving the vehicle behind)

Overnight Bag (change of clothes, toiletries) - This is for just mundane, non-SHTF reasons. It's come in handy a few times, like when driving a lot, and I just get too sleepy, and need to get a Motel room.
Spare Pillow (same reason as above)
OTC Meds and First Aid Kit (glove compartment, just nice to have handy when out, allergy, aspirin, ibuprofen, acetaminophen, stomach medicine, cold/flu/sinus, cough, etc.)

CB Radio
Collapsible 5 gallon water bottle (in a SHTF situation, I'd try and fill this at a gas station or something, if able).
Toolbag (common auto tools, wrenches, sockets, screwdrivers, pliers, etc.)
Duct Tape/WD-40/Tail Light Tape
Spare bottles of oil, transmission fluid, wiper fluid, fix a flat, rain-x, etc.
Bolt Cutter (in case I need to drive through a locked fence)
Hydraulic Jack (just easier/stronger than a standard scissor jack)
Full-sized Spare Tire (not a donut, not that it'd work anyhow on a dual wheeled)
Cargo Net for truckbed
(2) 5 gallon gas cans
Fuel Siphon Kit
Slim Jim/Car entry kit (my wife used to always lock her keys in her car)
Camo netting (to hide it in case I have to ditch it, come back for it)
Jumper Cables
Portable Jumper Unit
4 Way Lugnut Wrench/Tire Iron
Bungee Cords, Ratchet Straps, Paracord (usually for securing loads)
(5) Quality filter masks (never know when driving through area with a fire, etc. or of course, SHTF reasons)
Roadside Emergency Kit (flares, etc.)

If I have the horse trailer with me, even more, as the living area of the trailer has cabinets that are loaded up with food and supplies (just for overnight horse events, etc.), and a big storage area under the seat, and even a portable toilet and mini fridge (propane powered). Fold out chairs, a fold out awning, etc. Of course, this is unlikely as a SHTF event is more likely during the work-week, when I'm solo, and miles away from home (and without the trailer on).

Tools good idea, I have the gas can, need a spare but I dont know if I can get it on the car myself.... Hydraulic Jack does it need power?
masks also good idea, I need the CB too, dont have all those fluid things I wouldnt know what to do with it need to find books on cars and how to fix them.
I found a cool idea online once about toilets just get a cheep metal chair and cut a hole in it and glue on a toilet seat BAM portable any where toilet even kids and wife will be coordinated enough to use.... I would have a shovel too.
you can put it in the car somewhere and not need the trailer toilet.
need tire iron and wrench thing...
still looking at the gun idea dont know yet but dont have money either so it will wait.

Well, I could always go in the woods without the trailer...but a roll of TP is a good idea! LOL.
Will need to add that. I do have it in the GHB, but having it more readily available for more everyday purposes isn't a bad idea.

Hydraulic Jack does it need power?
No, just the way it works is all, you still lever it up and down, but my truck is too heavy for just a scissor style jack.

Of course, I have a second battery and an inverter in my truck, so even powered items are really no big deal.

The truck also has a front cattle guard, 3 gas tanks, is diesel, and a rear steel bar tailgate. It's kind of a monstrosity, hehe...but I love it. Even though the mpg's suck hard.

I commute too, and people ask me why I don't get a more fuel efficient car. The truck is PAID FOR. If I was making car payments, then I'd be spending MORE per month to travel in a piece of plastic. It'd take 6 years to see any savings from it. No thanks.

One tank is 14 gallons, the other is 16 gallons, and the auxiliary is 151 gallons (according to the paperwork, which is about right, the only time I ever completely filled it). At $4 a gallon, it would cost me over $700 to fill it all completely, lol. (of course, it has never had all tanks full). But, with full tanks, my range would be just over 1800 miles without getting gas. Considering the longest range standard car is 690 miles, that's pretty impressive (if expensive).....

Something else we keep. Cash for a motel room.
Sometimes, if driving a long distance, I get too sleepy and just need to sleep. Now, we have bank cards, but sometimes, little motels in the middle of nowhere don't always operate in the same century or line is down, etc., etc.
I also keep two rolls of quarters in case I encounter tolls.

I want to make a list of things to get or have ready in an emergency ... what should I add to my list? I am in the Houston Area and will bug out to Denton TX or all the way to OK. I have family in AL so I may go there... I need Maps that's is a given, CB since I will be leading more than one SUV, and all papers and medicines my family needs... what would you have in your car if leaving on a long trip out of the area in an emergency?
I agree with maps, cb! I would also have a ham radio.
Water
first aid
food
clothing for several seasons
sleeping bag
personal protection

i keep a get home bag in my car. it gives me and one other person about 3 days to get back to the home stead.
unfortunately i can't carry a gun in the car legally where i live.

Actually Clyde, if you kept a handgun unloaded, and in a separate locked container (or your trunk), it is legal in California. You could keep an unloaded long gun in your vehicle legally.

When being transported, handguns must be unloaded and in a locked fully enclosed container other than the glove box or any console attached to the vehicle. The trunk of a car is considered to be a locked container but a glove box or "utility box" is specifically forbidden. If one believes he or she is within a "gun-free school zone" (area surrounding 1,000 feet from the edge of school grounds which teaches any grade from kindergarten to 12th grade) then the handgun must be locked in a fully enclosed container. Failure to lock up a handgun while in a school zone is a violation of federal and state law.
Long guns (rifles, shotguns) must be unloaded when transported in a vehicle. There is no requirement for a locked container with the exception of long guns considered to be "assault weapons". Federal law requires locking containers when inside of a "gun-free school zone." The constitutionality of the federal Gun-Free School Zone Act is in question due to the U.S. v. Lopez ruling.
Assault weapons, as defined by California law, must always be transported in locked containers and may only be transported under certain circumstances.

i keep a 2 ton Hydraulic floor Jack in the van at all times,just in case of a flat.they can be bought at any auto parts store.and i find it better then any factory jack that comes with vehicales these days..others have mentioned b.o.b's and g.h.b's..keeping camping gear with them is good as well just in case you have to leave your vehicale(s) behind for what ever reason(s)..a hammock for each person..as well as seelping bags.my mom keeps 2 walking canes and one walker with a seat and a basket in the van at all times..and it's on 4 wheels..

caned and jar foods...there's two types.one you have to heat up,then eat.other kind you can just eat stright out the can/jar without heating up..make sure thier foods each of you (WILL) eat..snacks..

caned and jar foods...there's two types.one you have to heat up,then eat.other kind you can just eat stright out the can/jar without heating up..make sure thier foods each of you (WILL) eat..snacks..

That's a pretty good idea. I will always just assume I'll have to abandon the car at some point, but yeah, if sticking with it, keeping some food there is a good idea. Just has to keep well in the heat that occurs inside a car.

That's a pretty good idea. I will always just assume I'll have to abandon the car at some point, but yeah, if sticking with it, keeping some food there is a good idea. Just has to keep well in the heat that occurs inside a car.

yeah..and rotate quiet often just to be on the safe side.maybe come up with some thing to keep the heat away from it much as possible,seeing how i dont see any way of keeping it completly away from the food..

Rotating it out regularly seems to be the only answer...that and choosing the right foods. Ration bars seem to do well. Freeze-dried and MREs do well also. Any dried fare relatively well, (like soup or grit packets, oatmeal packets, etc.).
I bet packs of mashed potato flakes would do well...and a pack of gravy mix. If I do keep things there, I think every 90 days rotating will do it. I already change out my GHB/BOB food and water that often, just because the bag stays in the car.

i wa thinking 60 days rotation on all foods..and maybe 1st aid stuff as well..

I'd add these items to the list of things mentioned:
- NVG's
- A strong IR light to enhance sight ahead of the vehicle
- IR Strobelight in the back for the friendly vehicle behind you (assuming they got nvg's too) (else you could go for a breaklight in the back that u place in a way you cannot see it from the front of the vehicle)

Now you might think, what NVG's ? IR Light ? WHAT?!
It's simple, a light can be seen from insane distances, if you fear a SHTF where you got roadside bandits, driving with the lights out will give you a longer time till you are discovered.

- Welding Rods (incase something needs welding)

Possibly a high powered strobe light to blind hostile pursuers at night. (think KickAss on wheels ;p)

I think 60 day rotation might be a little excessive. Considering most canned foods have a 1 year or more shelf life.

Those canned soups which are meal replacements might be good and muesli bars assuming both of you have them.

I do 4 month rotation, just for the water mostly, but I swap foods at the same time. Might as well do it at the same time.

wow. I am now just planning 1 year rotation for my bottled water and 2 year rotation for canned goods. Canned food as long as not rusted, dented or bloated, can still be eaten wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy after expiry. One thing I'm going to avoid. MREs. Maybe keep a weeks worth at the very most.

Usually, it's recommended to change out water every 6 months, but I do every 3-4 instead. Canned food may still be edible after a year or two past date, just fine, but depending on the food, taste may be off. It's cheap enough, so why sacrifice the taste? Depends on the MREs though. The stew type ones seemed decent enough. Still, for a little more money, freeze-dried is a tastier option (and lighter in the pack).

Something else we keep. Cash for a motel room.
Sometimes, if driving a long distance, I get too sleepy and just need to sleep. Now, we have bank cards, but sometimes, little motels in the middle of nowhere don't always operate in the same century or line is down, etc., etc.
I also keep two rolls of quarters in case I encounter tolls.
Don't ever underestimate the value of cash. I imagine a day when the ATM don't work, and the card readers at the pump won't connect to the banks. Having some cash, in 20.00 bills, will help get you further.

i should rotate my food and water more often. i do so once a year. in houston it gets really hot and im not sure if that affects the food and water in any way. i know the bottles of water produce condensation a lot, when it is cold. and the water in mylar bags taste funny now. can it be from being under extreme heat?

Latest posts

Back