bug out horse?

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The purpose of transportation is simply point A to B. In any shtf situation you can bet that two major obstacles will be rivers and mountains. Bridges will become choke points and any passes will undoubtedly be watched.

The reliability of vehicles after emp is questionable. Fuel breaks down over time and will eventually run out. If a part breaks on an automobile you are sol.

Horses are a great idea. They are amphidious, and can go places most vehicles can't, such as narrow moutain trails. They do not require fuel except that can be provided by nature. And as a good friend of mine pointed out worse case scenario they are edible.
I've eaten a lot of horse overseas and loved it. Horses are definitely "dual purpose" critters.

I've ridden a few sad old trail horses on vacations, but have no real world experience with them. I wish I knew someone with some that I could learn from. All I am sure of is on a motorcycle, when you turn left, the bike goes left. On a horse, it has a mind of its own, and may not turn left if it knows you're a novice. I admit too that I'm a little intimidated by an animal that is in the 1200lb range.

I've ridden a few sad old trail horses on vacations, but have no real world experience with them. I wish I knew someone with some that I could learn from. All I am sure of is on a motorcycle, when you turn left, the bike goes left. On a horse, it has a mind of its own, and may not turn left if it knows you're a novice. I admit too that I'm a little intimidated by an animal that is in the 1200lb range.

If you do learn or plan on purchasing get a Morgan, it's the best all around horse, extremely smart, easy to train, if you get one that's already established it will train you ;) oh, and they are very good pick pocket'ers.

edited, I might add my personal horse is what is called a foundation morgan, the other morgans I have are what some call modern morgans (fyi)

Last edited:
If you do learn or plan on purchasing get a Morgan, it's the best all around horse, extremely smart, easy to train, if you get one that's already established it will train you ;) oh, and they are very good pick pocket'ers.

edited, I might add my personal horse is what is called a foundation morgan, the other morgans I have are what some call modern morgans (fyi)
I agree Mav. I've owned a lot of horses over the years and Morgan's were my favorite. The first Morgan's I owned were champion dressage horses. At the time I had no idea what dressage meant. I guess the high prices should have tipped me off. They were a lot of money but I just had to have them. The first time I rode one of them I adjusted myself in the saddle and the horse took off in another direction. That should have been my second hint that these were no ordinary horses. Anyway, once I learned how to ride a dressage horse they turned out to be the best mountain horses I ever owned.

I agree Mav. I've owned a lot of horses over the years and Morgan's were my favorite. The first Morgan's I owned were champion dressage horses. At the time I had no idea what dressage meant. I guess the high prices should have tipped me off. They were a lot of money but I just had to have them. The first time I rode one of them I adjusted myself in the saddle and the horse took off in another direction. That should have been my second hint that these were no ordinary horses. Anyway, once I learned how to ride a dressage horse they turned out to be the best mountain horses I ever owned.

dressage trained horse is impressive and not cheap of a good breed :)

I'm on 2.5 acres, but most is planted with grapes, blueberries, fruit trees and gardens. The half acre I have with grass isn't enough to feed a horse here, or keep it on without stripping all the grass. I would enjoy learning about one and riding, but think if I get a large animal it would be a dairy cow. I think it would serve my purpose better here. And if things get bad, Somehow eating a cow seems less offensive than a horse. By the way, can you saddle train a cow?

I'm on 2.5 acres, but most is planted with grapes, blueberries, fruit trees and gardens. The half acre I have with grass isn't enough to feed a horse here, or keep it on without stripping all the grass. I would enjoy learning about one and riding, but think if I get a large animal it would be a dairy cow. I think it would serve my purpose better here. And if things get bad, Somehow eating a cow seems less offensive than a horse. By the way, can you saddle train a cow?
Where I live it takes about 20 acres to feed 1 cow or 1 horse. People still use cattle (oxen) for work, but I don't know about saddleing one. Although I have seen a guy saddle a moose in Alaska before.

Agreed. My refrence was to the rider better to eat my horse than to starve.

Even in the worst case situation (starvation) my horse is still the extension of me no different than my right arm and I certainly wouldn't eat my right arm ;) my horse is not only a animal since our spirit is one, no sir, even in starvation we both die, that's the way it is with me. I also guarantee you, my horse will die trying to get me out of a fix, that kind of loyalty one doesn't kill for self preservation.

Hunny rides Charlie around the pasture but the problem is Charlie goes where Charlie wants to and it normally involves food! 3 14 2016 080.JPG He really wouldn't make a good 'pack horse. . . . I sure do miss my Jack though.

Unless they produce a stick shift Right Hand drive horse for the UK I'm afraid they wont be any use to me :)
Wife says they have no brakes and they think for themselves, makes her real nervous, and she is real apprehensive about the front end, cause its got teeth, i got her as far as to rub the nose of one for a few seconds.

There is not one single Horse, Pony, Mule, ### or Donkey on earth that happening across me would not instantly bite me whilst trying to stand on my toes, NOT ONE, might have something to do with me referring to them as walking dogfood though.

i already got my tack and just need to build the fence. an for those of you using your horses what are some tips and tricks you have for me lol

I do have some good tips on fencing.

I use wooden posts (about $7 each), and cattle panels (18' and 4' high, for $18). It's inexpensive, and good enough for pretty much any animal (except a really big dog who may get over it). I get the ones with smaller grid at the bottom, for my little dogs. (and to keep out bunnies)

For a cheap gate, some left over 2x4's and you can cut a piece of old cattle panel for it (that may be all bent up, etc. in places). I typically also keep about 3 panels onhand for any kind of repairs.

I also routinely find chain link or grid wire on yard sale and auction sites for cheap, cheap rates. So I stockpile some of that too...for quick fence repairs.

I do have some good tips on fencing.

I use wooden posts (about $7 each), and cattle panels (18' and 4' high, for $18). It's inexpensive, and good enough for pretty much any animal (except a really big dog who may get over it). I get the ones with smaller grid at the bottom, for my little dogs. (and to keep out bunnies)

For a cheap gate, some left over 2x4's and you can cut a piece of old cattle panel for it (that may be all bent up, etc. in places). I typically also keep about 3 panels onhand for any kind of repairs.

I also routinely find chain link or grid wire on yard sale and auction sites for cheap, cheap rates. So I stockpile some of that too...for quick fence repairs.
18 bucks is a great. I haven't seen any near that cheap. Are they galvanized?

Latest posts

Back