Bug Out Bag sound off

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know this has been done before but I was going through my bag and wanted to add unusual but useful items any ideas...?

LGirl,

Try a telescopic fishing rod with an assortment of lures, weights, etc in a small EDC pouch.
Pocket Shower: NEMO Helio Pressure Shower, weighs in at 1 pound, but is a pressure type using a foot pump sprayer...cost about 90. Cheaper one is Sea to Summit Pocket Shower about 30. Gravity fed shower.
Brunton Compro Pocket Transit (a very expensive lensatic compass)
Pepper Spray on a quick release d ring that can be attached to the outside of your BOB strap, used to ward off predator animals. Ask Roninsensei on the best Pepper Spray on the market. He has a good handle on what has the best spray radius.
Garmin GPS system with color map overlay
Eton Crank Shortwave Radio
Shemaugh (Many out there, try not to get the Rothco brand, they tend to irritate your neck line).
Goal Zero Sherpa 100 charging kit...with solar panel and power pack. This one is worth its weight in gold in the field. Charges just about anything, except TV's. Weighs about 5 pounds total.

These are just a few things in the Heavy BOB

LGirl,

Try a telescopic fishing rod with an assortment of lures, weights, etc in a small EDC pouch.
Pocket Shower: NEMO Helio Pressure Shower, weighs in at 1 pound, but is a pressure type using a foot pump sprayer...cost about 90. Cheaper one is Sea to Summit Pocket Shower about 30. Gravity fed shower.
Brunton Compro Pocket Transit (a very expensive lensatic compass)
Pepper Spray on a quick release d ring that can be attached to the outside of your BOB strap, used to ward off predator animals. Ask Roninsensei on the best Pepper Spray on the market. He has a good handle on what has the best spray radius.
Garmin GPS system with color map overlay
Eton Crank Shortwave Radio
Shemaugh (Many out there, try not to get the Rothco brand, they tend to irritate your neck line).
Goal Zero Sherpa 100 charging kit...with solar panel and power pack. This one is worth its weight in gold in the field. Charges just about anything, except TV's. Weighs about 5 pounds total.

These are just a few things in the Heavy BOB

Where can you find most of these and prices please?

Telescopic fishing rod is about 15 from Amazon.
Pocket Showers from REI or any good online camping store.
Brunton Compass from Brunton..just google it...pretty expensive, but the Mercedes of compass company...$400.
Pepper Spray from any good security company if you can't afford the wide radius, you can pick them up at Walmart or Academy Sports in Louisiana. Prices vary depending on size....you can get a key chain one for about $10.
Garmin GPS...another one you can get on sale or through online...straight from Garmin..around 450, this is the top of the line...you can get smaller ones from them that are cheaper, but less robust.
Eton Shortwave...Amazon..around $25
Shemaugh...I like Blackhawk Industries...I wear it like a head wrap, almost Bendouin style, which protects my head from being burned in the sun.
Goal Zero...I get most of mine when they are on sale from Emergency Essentials. But other companies carry them, also Amazon sells some...but no always in stock. As for the Sherpa its a bit expensive.

Good ideas here. I love the idea of a telescoping fishing rod.

here's something im doing.hope this gives ya some ideas..

im working on improving on what im keeping in the van... i have a justincase roadside emergency kit that i had bought i dunno when..i removed the jumper cables and their the cheap ones,and pretty well useless as jumper cables...they'll be replaced with a set thats worth having on hand..and im now adding stuff that i figure is needed..or might be needed.. a zippo lighter and fluel ..i removed a flint from a bic,then cut it in half,and put it into the bottom half of the zippo where the cotton is...a plastic case with fishing kit in it.it has 3 diff size hooks.swivils and 2 floats..gotta add fishing line and sinkers to it thoe..i now have a 23 piece precision screwdriver set.a sewing kit in which i added stuff to it..buttons,thread and needles,and other stuff.the case also has outside pockets..gonna add the needed maps.so they can go there...a whistel/compass/thermometer/magnyfieing glass setup..what remains of the origanal kit.flat tip and 4 way screw driver.regular pliers.reflective triangle..a minuture first aid kit and a puncho with a hood..and a tow strap....i added a head lamp on account im not impressed with the flaslight that came with it.....also have a plastic container with a screw on lid with handle.it's full of diffrent length bungie cords..also plan on getting one of the fishing rods where the rod folds up into the handle..figure i'll get that at wal mart..

as for the Garmin GPS unit like bob mentioned...i have one for the van.in which i had gotton at academy sport.it has a short battary charge time to it..but yet.a hand held unit can be bought.and chances are.it'll have a longer charge time..might make sure its idea for hikeing.im thinking their the better ones..

Last edited:
For showering;
Not so much for the bag but will work at the BOL/Home, the Wife has used something very similar to this when she gone out to do field work, she has hair down to her butt and still was able to use it with in it's water capacity, you have to rethink water conservation!

You can place this on a stove, or make a dakota pit to heat the water up.

Zodi Outback Gear Extreme Shower without Stove, Stainless Steel
http://www.amazon.com/Zodi-Outback-..._sbs_sg_7?ie=UTF8&refRID=1J2RKA5A69AJ541VPKKW

71d2QFxPiEL._SL1500_.jpg

Pocket Fisherman is always pretty cool, if a true BOB vs. a GHB.
Not often mentioned, but compact binoculars (I like to see what I might be getting into).
Extendable Camp Fork (makes cooking small game easier)
A Bandanna (there are TONS of uses for a bandanna)
Small Sewing Kit (can come in handy, and takes up almost no room)
Roll of electrical tape (so many uses, don't go cheap though, doesn't stick as good). Duct tape is good too, but I carry both.
There is a .22 rifle that is actually made to come apart and be a survival rifle. Can't recall who makes it, but easy enough to search for.
Cigarettes (even if you don't smoke). May make a good barter item, especially if you don't need them.
Deck of Cards (I personally like the ones that also contain pics and descriptions of edible plants). Fights boredom, and helps you learn about the plants.
Ziploc Bags (never know when you'll need them, lots of uses).

Knew I was forgetting something big. Yep, lockpick set. (Personally, I'd like to get one of the guns for it instead)
Personally, I also like to carry a pry bar for door opening also.

Did anyone mention a really good road atlas? I remember hurricane Floyd looked like it was going to hit daytona beach, just before it turned north. Anyways, the roads were so packed cars were sitting on the highways. They averaged 2 miles per hour at best. I was a local and worked my way around it, but if you don't know the area well, having a good map in hand, not electronic, could be a life saver.

Atlas are ok but nothing beats a good township and range maps with a topo overlay specific for the area, even without a topo overlay these maps are a must if one lives near towns and cities
Your right, knowing the roads is good, knowing all the land, with water sources and possible cover is even better.

Atlas are ok but nothing beats a good township and range maps with a topo overlay specific for the area, even without a topo overlay these maps are a must if one lives near towns and cities

No need for topography in FL, it's all just flat here. LOL.

Latest posts

Back